The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
May 18, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #451 of 12,546
Mines at 8:30ish. The HF2's were at 7:30ish. This LD has a pretty damn sensitive volume knob.

Death Cab for Cutie is kinda average on these DT880's tbh. The lack of nice mids really kills it.

May 18, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #454 of 12,546
i just joined the club, fellas.

ordered the 600 ohm from drew @ moon audio, and it just arrived...

and i sold my 250 ohm pro model this morning.  the two headphones never even got to meet each other.

i was without a dt880 for approximately 4 hours.  hahaha.

beerchug.gif

May 18, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #455 of 12,546
Congrats!
I'd love to hear your impressions... especially compared to the DT990.

shane

May 18, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #457 of 12,546

Quote:
What I understand is that most of the drivers from beyerdynamic are mismatched, from what I'am reading,don't understand such a reputed company doing this.

What do you consider mismatched?

My DT770/600 are off by less than 1 ohm (607-608), and my DT880/600 is off by 2.5 ohm.

My HD600's were off by nearly 5%. There was a huge L-R difference (whether caused by the ohm disparity or not).

shane

May 18, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #458 of 12,546
I have not seen any evidence that shows that Beyer's drivers are "mostly" mismatched.  There have been a couple people who have measured a 5% difference, and some whose was much less.

I also have not seen people measuring other maker's drivers in the same way, such that one could speculate whether Beyer was better or worse than the norm in this regard.

If I have missed such data, I would be grateful if someone could point it out.

May 18, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #459 of 12,546

Quote:
I have not seen any evidence that shows that Beyer's drivers are "mostly" mismatched.

not that skylab's word is the "gospel".  but, concerning beyer headphones, it comes frighteningly close in my view.
i mean, how many beyers has the guy owned?
j/k, sky!  hahahaha. 
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #460 of 12,546

Quote:
What do you consider mismatched?

My DT770/600 are off by less than 1 ohm (607-608), and my DT880/600 is off by 2.5 ohm.

My HD600's were off by nearly 5%. There was a huge L-R difference (whether caused by the ohm disparity or not).

shane

Shane:

I wouldn't worry about a 2% difference...don't forget your multimeter (and you) with both introduce variability in the measurements. If you have a hard time falling asleep you might want to google "Gage R&R".

May 18, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #461 of 12,546
After a bad tube put the Bada out of commission, I am resigned to listening to the DT880/600 driven by the AMC XIA integrated (with volume at about 9:00), sourced by the RAM-modded Samsung HD-841.  

The SS amping, coupled with a somewhat leaner source, lacks tonal palette, body and dynamic texture compared to the Bada.  Bass lacks contour, although it is extended, well-controlled and well-paced.  Things are nailed down better in space, but soundstage depth has definitely shrunk.

In short, everything sounds a bit dull.  But then, I have about 7x the investment in the Bada compared to the AMC, too.

Yes, I'm a bona fide tube head.  I miss the Bada and those 6SN7s.  

May 18, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #462 of 12,546
The Beyers do sound very clean, detailed and quick over the HD-841/AMC combination, I must say.  As mentioned before, the soundstage seems to have lost some depth compared to the Bada, but it is still impressively large; in particular, high and very wide, as well as a bit more "out in front" with the SS amp.  (Addressing width, I remind myself that the Bada almost always runs at the lowest crossfeed level, which tends to narrow the soundstage.)

I'm listening to Karan Casey, _Songlines_, Irish ballads I guess you could call them, nicely arranged and recorded.  Really, really cozy over the DT880/600!  Some of the close-miked selections, like "An Buachaillian Ban" or "One, I Love", convey an especially wonderful intimacy and immediacy with breathy detail and transparency.  The rambling "Ballad of Accounting" simply grabs you up and whisks you away over the Beyers like a spry quarter horse. 

Maybe I'm not as inveterate a tube head as I had previously thought (and that wasn't all too long ago, either).  The DT880/600 more than do justice to this SS presentation, strutting their speedy and oh-so tidy, yet eminently musical, character.  : )  

It's consoling to know that I can still enjoy the Beyers, even though my "star amp" is on the injured list.

May 18, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #463 of 12,546
I've had quite bad experience with three pairs of 600Ohm DT770 and one DT48E. There was quite severe impedance mismatch. I have also measured all my other phones and all came out matched perfectly. My current Manufaktur DT880 600Ohm and forth 600Ohm DT770 both have matched drivers. I guess QC standards on beyer assembly line are quite low. I was also surprised to find out that out of these DT770 I had, one did not have dampening caps on the back of the driver, one had just on one driver, and two had on both.

Quote:
I have not seen any evidence that shows that Beyer's drivers are "mostly" mismatched.  There have been a couple people who have measured a 5% difference, and some whose was much less.

I also have not seen people measuring other maker's drivers in the same way, such that one could speculate whether Beyer was better or worse than the norm in this regard.

If I have missed such data, I would be grateful if someone could point it out.

May 19, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #464 of 12,546

Quote:
Shane:

I wouldn't worry about a 2% difference...don't forget your multimeter (and you) with both introduce variability in the measurements. If you have a hard time falling asleep you might want to google "Gage R&R".

No, no, no... you misunderstood, or I wasn't clear.
I consider my Beyers to be perfect both in ohms and balance. The differences were minimal and inconsequential.

That's what I was trying to imply.
redface.gif

shane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back