The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
May 19, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #467 of 12,546
I am looking at these headphones and a recable job from Moon Audio. I know on the website they recommend the Silver Dragon, and I have also seen here a few people going with the Blue Dragon series. Has anyone compared these cables on the Beyers? Most of the reviews I have found here on Head-Fi seem to be with Senns and how the Silver, especially, helps open them up and bring out the details. On the Beyers, though, might this accentuate the analytical side a bit too much? Everyone who has either the Silver or Blue has had good things to say, but I am not seeing any comparisons between the 2 models on Beyers. 

Not having head these headphones yet it is hard to decide. I have a DV337, which version of Moon Audio cables would work the best? Thanks for any advice.

May 19, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #468 of 12,546
Well the DT880 600ohm aren't bright at all, their treble is very nice, actually. I cannot stand any other headphones with rock and/or metal now. My Grado HF-2 are too bright imo and akg K701 on loan are too bright too (but not like I was expecting to like the K701 with either genres). Apparently a copper+silver mixture is best for the DT880. I could not really decide which cable to get if I had the money, because I love the treble how it is and the bass is fine for well recorded music, I don't want any more impact, quantity etc. 

May 19, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #469 of 12,546
A good silver cable, like the Silver Dragon, should bring out more of what the DT880/600 already do well without adding coloration of its own.  I had Drew re-cable my K701 with Silver Dragon and they sounded much better.  I had my K501 re-cabled with UP-OCC silver and now they sound great.  I had my Proline 750 re-cabled with RAL's silver wire and they sounded great, too, clean, open and extended.

I am debating whether to go UP-OCC copper or silver with the DT880/600, though.

The DT880 treble has never been harsh for me, and that may be a function of my upstream gear and/or simply my listening preference.  

May 20, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #470 of 12,546
I have 3 DT880/600 ohm phones: 1 w/Moon Audio Silver Dragon; 1 w/Moon Audio Black Dragon; and one with oem cable.

With my sources (Apple lossless->squeezebox->UMDac->Decware CSP2) the Silver Dragon is more detailed, livelier and more musical than the other configurations. 

The Black Dragon is the second best.  I will have my oem pair re-cabled to Silver Dragon at some point in time.

May 20, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #471 of 12,546

Quote:
I have 3 DT880/600 ohm phones: 1 w/Moon Audio Silver Dragon; 1 w/Moon Audio Black Dragon; and one with oem cable.

With my sources (Apple lossless->squeezebox->UMDac->Decware CSP2) the Silver Dragon is more detailed, livelier and more musical than the other configurations. 

The Black Dragon is the second best.  I will have my oem pair re-cabled to Silver Dragon at some point in time.

Wow!  I though I had too many DT880s and you beat me by having three same one!
beerchug.gif

And thanks to your impression on the different cables.  I have been thinking of getting either Silver or Blue dragon for my manufaktur.

And you have two CSP-2's!  You must love this combo.  I love my current Jan Phillips 6922 and Raytheon 5U4G tubes with stock DT880/600.  I am after 3D soundstage and high transparency sound.  Did any of your cable improve in that aspect?

Thanks!

May 20, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #472 of 12,546
I have just become the proud owner of a set of Manufaktur 600ohms
biggrin.gif
 I'm going to sound dense now though..... Being new I don't want to force anything I shouldn't. They seem very hard to adjust to suit my noggin, am I missing something? Does the silver spring clip on the headband have anything to do with this?

Any helpful advice would be appreciated before I break something
redface.gif
 Thanks

May 20, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #473 of 12,546

Quote:
I have just become the proud owner of a set of Manufaktur 600ohms
biggrin.gif
 I'm going to sound dense now though..... Being new I don't want to force anything I shouldn't. They seem very hard to adjust to suit my noggin, am I missing something? Does the silver spring clip on the headband have anything to do with this?

Any helpful advice would be appreciated before I break something
redface.gif
 Thanks

have you extended the brackets as far as they go  ?

May 20, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #474 of 12,546

Quote:
I am looking at these headphones and a recable job from Moon Audio. I know on the website they recommend the Silver Dragon, and I have also seen here a few people going with the Blue Dragon series. Has anyone compared these cables on the Beyers? Most of the reviews I have found here on Head-Fi seem to be with Senns and how the Silver, especially, helps open them up and bring out the details. On the Beyers, though, might this accentuate the analytical side a bit too much? Everyone who has either the Silver or Blue has had good things to say, but I am not seeing any comparisons between the 2 models on Beyers. 

Not having head these headphones yet it is hard to decide. I have a DV337, which version of Moon Audio cables would work the best? Thanks for any advice.

Send Drew a email. Hes quick to respond and very helpful indeed ....    i would say you couldnt go wrong with the black dragon.

May 20, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #475 of 12,546

Quote:

have you extended the brackets as far as they go  ?

I've extended them to suit my head but can't say I was completely sure if I was forcing them to do something they shouldn't as it was difficult and there was no reasuring metalic click like on the Denon AH-D range. Wasn't sure if I had to pull the metal spring clip or something to make the yoke slide more easily.....

May 21, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #476 of 12,546
I just got my new setup and was wondering if maybe I am missing something. After a few posts here I decided to go with the DT 880/600 headphones and I ordered mine from Amazon. I am listening to Apple Lossless via optical to a brand new DacMagic. The DacMagic is connected to a WA3+ amp I bought used from here and is about a year old. I expected to be floored with these headphones but so far the sound is good but not blowing me away. The music seems to be a bit muddy. This is my first real headphone experience so I am not fully sure what to expect. In the past I have used the Beats by Dre so maybe I have gotten used to that sound for better or worse. Do I just need to give the DAC and DT880's some time to burn in? Is it better to get the DT880's built using the Manufaktor option? If so I can return these to Amazon and order from Beyer. Just looking for a little reassurance with all this new gear :)

May 21, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #477 of 12,546
The Beyers do benefit from about 120 hours burn-in. But when you say you got the "headset", do you mean you ordered the Aviators? I don't think those are quite the same as the consumer/hi-fi ones...maybe others can confirm or deny that.

May 21, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #478 of 12,546
Never using WA3+ or DACMagic, but they seems to be appropriate.  But I have never heard of people saying DT880/600 muddy.  They should be very opposite of what you heard out of box. (may be too bright before burn it).  Usually the better your gear is, the lesser brighter they will be.

And Manufaktur may have better L & R driver match, but SQ should be exactly the same.

Sorry not much help here, but something is not right.

May 21, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #479 of 12,546

Quote:
The Beyers do benefit from about 120 hours burn-in. But when you say you got the "headset", do you mean you ordered the Aviators? I don't think those are quite the same as the consumer/hi-fi ones...maybe others can confirm or deny that.

Sorry I meant headphones

May 21, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #480 of 12,546
Well I agree with Dukja - DT880's should never sound muffled. If people
complain about the 880 it is usually that they are too bright, as Dukja said.

But your gear should be fine with the 880/600. Hard to say what the issue is...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back