The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Mar 3, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #6,616 of 12,546
I was listening to my headphones and began to barely hear the type of distortion that I would normally hear with a blown speaker. I thought OMG what am I going to do with my new headphones? But this did not make any sense. I had one occasion where I plugged it in an amp without checking the volume. The DT880s seem to have been fine. I then switched to a different player and now the sound with the same tracks are clear. Must be the imagination of a tired mind. Life is good once again! :)

Bob Graham

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #6,617 of 12,546
Yeah, I was probably going to opt for the Uber upgrade, but not the USB option, as I would just use an optical connection.

If you are planning to solely relying on the SPDIF optical connection, bear in mind that the highest resolution of music you can reliably playback is 24/96, as that is pretty much what an SPDIF optical connection tops out at. Anything higher and the connection may or may not be able to play things back.

Mar 3, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #6,618 of 12,546
There is a very interesting article about 24/192 music over at xiph.org if your considering going above 24/96...

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Mar 3, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #6,619 of 12,546
Just got my DT 880 600 ohm about 3-4 days ago and so far I am blown away. The build quality is a lot higher than I was expecting. It really is true that you will hear details in your music that have not before. Very comfortable as well.

To answer the post above about why I got the 600 vs the 250 ohm model, I had no intents to ever drive these cans off of a portable device. I plan to get IEMs for music on the go. And I also figure that it would give me more options when buying an amp not needing to worry very much about the output impedance.

Also, does anyone have any advice for a good amp/dac for the 880's? Right now im running them off my Astro Mixamp, which works alright but I don't think its a good permanent solution. I've been researching the Schiit Audio product such as the Magni and Vali amp and was wondering if anyone had experience with those amps and the Beyers. Or even just if you like tube amps with your DT 880's or SS amps.

Thanks! :bigsmile_face:  

For a tube amp, try the La Figaro 336C
For an SS amp, the Matrix M Stage Amp works very well. Just set the gain to 20 dB.

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #6,620 of 12,546
The Modi is a great DAC. But when you upgrade to a Bifrost (or better yet, a Bifrost Uber), be prepared for some significantly better separation of instruments, a larger sound stage, and dramatically more transparency. I have always been impressed by the Modi since picking it up, but then I was still blown away by how much better things got when I upgraded to the Bifrost. When you upgrade, you are going to love your new Schiit.

Listening to the Bifrost Uber and DT880 is surreal. Its an out of head experience for sure : ]

Mar 3, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #6,621 of 12,546
  I run my DT880's (also 600 ohm) from my Little Dot MKIII with really good results. The LD puts out 350 mW @ 600 ohm which is plenty of power for me, I usually run it about 11:00 to 12:00 on the volume.
FYI they sound great from my O2 as well but I believe if I had to pick one amp for them it would be the LD.

Holly crap that is loud i run mine(LD MK III)between 8:00 to 10:00 my gain is set to 5. And yours?

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #6,622 of 12,546
Hmm, I use my DT880s 250ohm with my 5.5G iMod and Fiio E17 amp and it sounds good. Also occasionally use my 880s with my laptop and E17. How does it not do its job? I'm sure you have the gain turned up to 12 right?

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

My gain is actually at 42, and the sound is still VERY muddy. The lows are absolutely atrocious and I can't use them for my intended purposes (music production). Kick drums sound flat, dull, and anything below about 150 Hz essentially sounds like trash.

I was hoping not to spend too much as I'm still a student. I ordered the Fiio E09 in hopes that I can get some extra meat out of my E17, if not, I'll have to go for one of the Schiit products :frowning2:

Mar 4, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #6,623 of 12,546
  Holly crap that is loud i run mine(LD MK III)between 8:00 to 10:00 my gain is set to 5. And yours?

I believe it is set to 4, the manual isn't clear when setting the gain switches as to the orientation of the amp itself. Is the front of the amp facing you or away from you relative to the switches...let me know if you know the answer to that.

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #6,624 of 12,546
My gain is actually at 42, and the sound is still VERY muddy. The lows are absolutely atrocious and I can't use them for my intended purposes (music production). Kick drums sound flat, dull, and anything below about 150 Hz essentially sounds like trash.

I was hoping not to spend too much as I'm still a student. I ordered the Fiio E09 in hopes that I can get some extra meat out of my E17, if not, I'll have to go for one of the Schiit products :frowning2:
That's the volume, not the gain. The gain is 0, 6, or 12.

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #6,625 of 12,546
  I believe it is set to 4, the manual isn't clear when setting the gain switches as to the orientation of the amp itself. Is the front of the amp facing you or away from you relative to the switches...let me know if you know the answer to that.

Switch 1 nearest the Volume Control, each switch has a left and right channel, move the tab to the ON side to turn it on.
Switch 2 is right below the headphone jack.
Latest Manual in PDF

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #6,626 of 12,546
That's the volume, not the gain. The gain is 0, 6, or 12.

Sorry about that! I just went to the menu and changed the gain. (I didn't know it existed). 

Another issue with my headphones is that I do not hear items that are panned left specifically. I'm not sure if I just got a dud pair of headphones or if I just can't power them completely.

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #6,627 of 12,546

Honestly i don't kow.why don't you just look at the markings on the switches they are mark unless they are scrub off like one of my switch.

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #6,628 of 12,546
I am so impressed with the DT880s that I ordered a pair for my mother. I was going to switch the DT880s and send the package back as defective. I felt a little uncomfortable with this. So I think I will keep them and put them to good use. I have not had any further problems with my own pair of headphones.

Bob Graham

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #6,629 of 12,546
I just determined (thanks to TrollDragon) my gain is set to 5, The reason my volume knob was higher is my source (an Oppo DVD player) has a variable output and I had it down a little. When I turned the Oppo's volume all the way up I'm right around 10:00 with the Beyer's. 

Mar 4, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #6,630 of 12,546
One thing I did notice about these headphones is the 3.5" jack does not sit in as well as I think it should when plugged in. I have had to twice check the connection due to a dropout of sound. Perhaps this is not normal.  Maybe this is the explanation for the problem I had earlier with them.

Bob Graham

Users who are viewing this thread

Back