The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Mar 5, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #6,646 of 12,546
  Exactly,

does the leather pads which supposed to be damping the highs going to be a semi fix for the recessed mids?
if I can some how boost the mids, it will be a lot less fatiguing to my ears because I will be able to listen to them at lower volumes.
any other suggestions?

thanks

I do not know about the difference with pads, but I think using an EQ will help. If you are running from a PC, this can be easily done. For that matter, some music players have this feature built in.. If you are playing music directly from a stereo, that might be a bit of a problem.

BG

Mar 5, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #6,647 of 12,546
I'm getting a little deeper into this headphone thing now, I started with a pair of Superlux HD668b, swapped out the stock pads for velours and really liked the sound (still have them). Then I got some JVC's that didn't work for me and then wje turned me on to some Beyer DT880 600 ohm and they just sounded awesome. I've since tried some Takstar and Audio Technica that I also enjoy but lately have come back to the Beyer's and they just do so many things right. What a class act...I love my AT AD900's but man do these DT880's sound great and they have that little more bass I miss with the AT's. Just wanted to share how much I enjoy these headphones. I listen to the AT's and think if I just had a little more authority in the low end, I listen to the Takstar's and say great detail but are the highs a little much but toss these Beyer's on and just enjoy.

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #6,648 of 12,546
I am finding there seems to be at least three types of headphone enthusiast. One likes a flat, neutral response, like the DT880s. Another likes the V-shaped FR, like the DT990s. Then there is the one that likes comparatively forward middle FR, like the ATH-AD900X. I can understand the benefit of each type of headphone.  I went through the whole cycle at one time or another.

Does this make sense? What do you guys think?

By the way, remember I originally thought my phones were broken or the connections not solid? So I switched to another pair of DT880s. I have the same problem, with the same place on the same song.  I have been playing all types of music with no problems, and triple checked my connections. I discovered it is the source that is distorted at one point. It is not clipping that is causing this problem. This has nothing to do with my headphones. So I guess it pays not to assume it is the headphones at all. Yet another type of problem I have found with how an album is mastered.

<RANT ALERT>

Between substantial clipping to the point of distortion, the over compressed tracks (I can understand this to a degree), albums that have both problems (where substantial clipping through the entire track is the norm), and now distorted recordings. I am tempted to delete all tracks and albums that are bothersome to listen to for these reasons, and be more careful with my purchases in the future. The DT880s are proving there is allot of crap out there.

<RANT FINISHED>

Ah, I feel better now. 
biggrin.gif

Bob Graham

Mar 6, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #6,650 of 12,546
  I am finding there seems to be at least three types of headphone enthusiast. One likes a flat, neutral response, like the DT880s. Another likes the V-shaped FR, like the DT990s. Then there is the one that likes comparatively forward middle FR, like the ATH-AD900X. I can understand the benefit of each type of headphone.  I went through the whole cycle at one time or another.

Does this make sense? What do you guys think?

Those are certainly 3 basic types, though of course they don't represent all types. There's also of course the basshead, who spends post after post discussing low bass/mid bass/high bass without seemingly noticing any other frequency range. There's also the guy who likes punch and balls in his sound and goes straight for Grado--neutrality is a foreign country to him.

I'm like you in that I've tried all 3 basic types and ended with the DT880. To my ears it just lets more of the music through unmolested.

Mar 6, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #6,651 of 12,546
The main issue I have with any colored sound is genre coverage, or lack thereof. Being able to switch from a Bach organ work to one of Beethoven's symphonies to some 70s classic rock to some electronic from the 90s, all without ever once feeling like the sound is "off", is very important to me.

Think about it this way. I'm sure everybody has a favorite color, but would you really want to look at the world through a pair of glasses tinted that color? Say you like green. Grass and trees would look nice and vibrant, but the red of the setting sun and the pink and blue of planted flowers would be subdued and unsatisfying. That's more or less how I feel about a colored sound--it enhances some things but takes too much away from others.

Mar 6, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #6,652 of 12,546
^Yeah, that's true. However you have to consider those that don't have eclectic or wide tastes in music. There are some people out there (who I feel sorry for, honestly) who only listen to 1 or 2 genres, and a coloured headphone will work well for them.

Mar 6, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #6,653 of 12,546
That's why I only listen to Vocaloid and "Cookie Monster" growl Metal, the DT880's bring out the best in my only two genres of music. :D

Mar 6, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #6,654 of 12,546
That's why I only listen to Vocaloid and "Cookie Monster" growl Metal, the DT880's bring out the best in my only two genres of music. :D

Sesame Street soundtrack sounds best on Grados!

Mar 6, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #6,656 of 12,546
Haha. As someone who's owned a Grado SR225i, can I just say that I think the DT880 (at least through my set up and for my tastes) are actually a really good metal headphone?

Mar 6, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #6,658 of 12,546
Mar 6, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #6,659 of 12,546
  ^Yeah, that's true. However you have to consider those that don't have eclectic or wide tastes in music. There are some people out there (who I feel sorry for, honestly) who only listen to 1 or 2 genres

No need to feel sorry for me. I've never felt the need to move beyond classical and orchestral soundtracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back