The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Feb 26, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #6,601 of 12,546
  I bet he has a parting gift now Tinnitus, if some one maxed out the volume on my NFB15.32 with my DT880 premium 600, I'd Punch them into next week.

As a fellow owner of the same setup, amen to that! Maybe if it was on low gain it wouldn't be as big of deal (it would still be very, very loud) but on high gain... 
basshead.gif

edit: I actually just tested max volume on low, it was totally listenable and definitely wouldn't be wrecking anything. But high gain, no way in hell.

Feb 26, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #6,602 of 12,546
I'm not sure how anybody could stand to max out the DT880's volume on account of the mid-treble. In my experience, it's the limiting factor on where I set my volume. Then again, I'm probably unusually sensitive to it, so I can't generalize from my own experience.

In fact, lately I've taken to listening through Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier with the DT880 on low volume while I work on stuff. With the extra treble, I don't need higher volume to follow the polyphony, and the overall neutrality and smoothness make the whole experience nice and transparent. Granted, I like my Bach dry and crisply articulated, so it's a good match--if you like a bit more flavor and emotion, the DT880's balance might thwart that preference. Also, in that case I wouldn't recommend Gulda--his performances are like the musical equivalent of the DT880: dry, bright, transparent, and a bit merciless.

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #6,603 of 12,546
  I bet he has a parting gift now Tinnitus, if some one maxed out the volume on my NFB15.32 with my DT880 premium 600, I'd Punch them into next week.

Twice... They would end up being two weeks ahead.
evil_smiley.gif

I'm not sure how anybody could stand to max out the DT880's volume on account of the mid-treble. In my experience, it's the limiting factor on where I set my volume. Then again, I'm probably unusually sensitive to it, so I can't generalize from my own experience.

In fact, lately I've taken to listening through Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier with the DT880 on low volume while I work on stuff. With the extra treble, I don't need higher volume to follow the polyphony, and the overall neutrality and smoothness make the whole experience nice and transparent. Granted, I like my Bach dry and crisply articulated, so it's a good match--if you like a bit more flavor and emotion, the DT880's balance might thwart that preference. Also, in that case I wouldn't recommend Gulda--his performances are like the musical equivalent of the DT880: dry, bright, transparent, and a bit merciless.

Well the max power output for the pb1 is 1.4w into 32ohms? How does that translate into 600ohms... hopefully under 120 mW >.>

Non the less to my suprise... I reached about 3pm [75%] of the Volume knob and it wasn't painful... too scared to go higher I was. I will admit it was a FatJon track, lots of BASS and a rather dark tune. Most likely mastered a little on the quiet side... that said 

I would have kicked his teeth in but... he looked too happy

Feb 27, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #6,604 of 12,546
Some people have either destroyed their hearing and do not know it, or they like their volume or bass at too loud volumes.

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #6,605 of 12,546
Some people have either destroyed their hearing and do not know it, or they like their volume or bass at too loud volumes.

Way back in high school, I had a friend that would turn up the volume to very, very loud. There were times I felt pain. I believe I suffered hearing loss since that time. My hearing has been consistently way below average.

Bob Graham

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #6,607 of 12,546
i just joined this forum to say that i purchased a set of DT-880 600ohm a few weeks ago and they are stunning.

i think that the sound depends on the amplification and to get the best out of them you need a very very good headamp. i built my own from a kit and then tailored it to suit the headphones and now i'm in audio nirvana.

yes they can sound sibilant, bright, scratchy and lacking of bass with the wrong amplification but give them a good amp and they shine. the DT-880's do not gloss over a coloured picture but give you what is there if the recording is crude then the DT-880's sound crude. this to me shows just how good the DT-880's are.

i also have a pair of DT-770 80ohm and the 880's are far better but if the 880's are anything like the 770's then it's going to take a loooong time for them to bed in properly. the 770's took about 3 years constant playing for 3-4hrs a night before they got rid of that slight harshness and now sound very good and clean.

Mar 2, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #6,608 of 12,546
Welcome to the club. May I ask, cheekily, what decided you on the 600 ohm version? And were/are you under the impression/illusion that the 600 ohm version sounds better than the 250 ohm version?

Just curious.

Mar 2, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #6,609 of 12,546
  i just joined this forum to say that i purchased a set of DT-880 600ohm a few weeks ago and they are stunning.

i think that the sound depends on the amplification and to get the best out of them you need a very very good headamp. i built my own from a kit and then tailored it to suit the headphones and now i'm in audio nirvana.

yes they can sound sibilant, bright, scratchy and lacking of bass with the wrong amplification but give them a good amp and they shine. the DT-880's do not gloss over a coloured picture but give you what is there if the recording is crude then the DT-880's sound crude. this to me shows just how good the DT-880's are.

i also have a pair of DT-770 80ohm and the 880's are far better but if the 880's are anything like the 770's then it's going to take a loooong time for them to bed in properly. the 770's took about 3 years constant playing for 3-4hrs a night before they got rid of that slight harshness and now sound very good and clean.

Do you typically find headphones take a long-time to "break-in"?

Mar 2, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #6,610 of 12,546
Just got my DT 880 600 ohm about 3-4 days ago and so far I am blown away. The build quality is a lot higher than I was expecting. It really is true that you will hear details in your music that have not before. Very comfortable as well.

To answer the post above about why I got the 600 vs the 250 ohm model, I had no intents to ever drive these cans off of a portable device. I plan to get IEMs for music on the go. And I also figure that it would give me more options when buying an amp not needing to worry very much about the output impedance.

Also, does anyone have any advice for a good amp/dac for the 880's? Right now im running them off my Astro Mixamp, which works alright but I don't think its a good permanent solution. I've been researching the Schiit Audio product such as the Magni and Vali amp and was wondering if anyone had experience with those amps and the Beyers. Or even just if you like tube amps with your DT 880's or SS amps.

Thanks! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 2, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #6,611 of 12,546
I have the DT880-600 as well, and have a Schiit Modi/Asgard 2 combo. I'm happy with the pairing, but want to upgrade to a Bifrost DAC in the future.

Mar 2, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #6,612 of 12,546
Also, does anyone have any advice for a good amp/dac for the 880's? Right now im running them off my Astro Mixamp, which works alright but I don't think its a good permanent solution. I've been researching the Schiit Audio product such as the Magni and Vali amp and was wondering if anyone had experience with those amps and the Beyers. Or even just if you like tube amps with your DT 880's or SS amps.

While there is certainly no shortage of good amps and DACs out there, I will speak from experience that the Magni + Modi + DT880 600Ω is quite a good pairing. (and the Bifrost + Lyr + DT880 600Ω is even better). You get some good, clean, clear, and transparent sound with good detail. Be mindful of the fact that some think the Magni is a little on the bright side, and the DT880 is a little bright as well, so if there are any complains, this could potentially be it -- something that is a little too bright for your likings. I personally like my music a little on the bright side, so I didn't mind the slight brightness with the Modi+Magni+DT880 combo at all. Overall, I would still say it is an excellent and sufficiently neutral system that you can enjoy your music with.

Mar 2, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #6,613 of 12,546
  Just got my DT 880 600 ohm about 3-4 days ago and so far I am blown away. The build quality is a lot higher than I was expecting. It really is true that you will hear details in your music that have not before. Very comfortable as well.

To answer the post above about why I got the 600 vs the 250 ohm model, I had no intents to ever drive these cans off of a portable device. I plan to get IEMs for music on the go. And I also figure that it would give me more options when buying an amp not needing to worry very much about the output impedance.

Thanks! 
bigsmile_face.gif

I run my DT880's (also 600 ohm) from my Little Dot MKIII with really good results. The LD puts out 350 mW @ 600 ohm which is plenty of power for me, I usually run it about 11:00 to 12:00 on the volume. 
FYI they sound great from my O2 as well but I believe if I had to pick one amp for them it would be the LD.

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #6,614 of 12,546
I have the DT880-600 as well, and have a Schiit Modi/Asgard 2 combo. I'm happy with the pairing, but want to upgrade to a Bifrost DAC in the future.

The Modi is a great DAC. But when you upgrade to a Bifrost (or better yet, a Bifrost Uber), be prepared for some significantly better separation of instruments, a larger sound stage, and dramatically more transparency. I have always been impressed by the Modi since picking it up, but then I was still blown away by how much better things got when I upgraded to the Bifrost. When you upgrade, you are going to love your new Schiit.

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #6,615 of 12,546
Yeah, I was probably going to opt for the Uber upgrade, but not the USB option, as I would just use an optical connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back