The Audio Lounge
Aug 1, 2019 at 4:02 AM Post #19,546 of 36,144
That's what we like to see, music and a mug of tea. Helps the work go on.
It usually does but when the client is away and there’s this .......
2CDB1E17-B74F-4689-987C-F5C9E1BD61AA.jpeg
Quick game of footy before we start :ksc75smile:

Aug 1, 2019 at 4:05 AM Post #19,547 of 36,144
Aug 1, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #19,548 of 36,144
Oh it is. It's worth the wait. It looks like they are getting these back in.

According to Chris it was a close out lot and they will not get any more.

Aug 1, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #19,549 of 36,144
Aug 1, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #19,553 of 36,144
Did you stir your tea with that palette knife? :p

Of course I did, I’m surprised you asked. After all I do have a reputation to keep up don’t you know old chap :yum:

You don't pass your painters degree unless you do that... It's the final question on the exam paper.

Aug 1, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #19,555 of 36,144
Err that was directed at a certain orange Cheeto

Aug 1, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #19,557 of 36,144
BoJo, what have you done the value of the Pound£££!!!
This (Nov 2015) is when we moved to London and converted all our savings from € into £...
Screen Shot 2019-08-01 at 14.06.16.png
We moved back towards the end of last year...
Screen Shot 2019-08-01 at 14.09.44.png
That's a neat magic trick, making that much money disappear in a puff of smoke. :frowning2:

Aug 1, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #19,559 of 36,144
This (Nov 2015) is when we moved to London and converted all our savings from € into £...

We moved back towards the end of last year...

That's a neat magic trick, making that much money disappear in a puff of smoke. :frowning2:

Hard to put a like on that :frowning2:

When I sold my house in Michigan and moved here to the UK in 2006 I only got about 50p for a dollar. Houses here were at an all time high but mine had sold low :frowning2: Too bad I could not wait until now to move it.

Meanwhile, I feel trapped in the middle of a mess... the place I am from.. .the place I am in...

Aug 1, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #19,560 of 36,144
BoJo, what have you done the value of the Pound£££!!!

Yup, I shall refrain from discussing politics on here, but I just placed a large order for a (comparatively) very expensive IEM and I'm not best pleased at the Pound nosediving since the day before I was due to pay :angry:

Well, in more happy news, I went to London CanJam with two chief missions in mind:

1) to find the TOTL IEM (probably from Empire Ears) with the most brutal, visceral bass slam and rumble (but without compromising the rest of the audiophile qualities; detail, soundstage, mids and highs, etc).

I've already got a terrific TOTL hybrid IEM now, the Stealthsonics U9. The fit is not ideal though, and the low end is more sub-bass focused; there when it's in the mastering and able to go fairly deep, but only slightly above neutral otherwise.
Nevertheless, I've been listening to them a lot recently, and they continually surprise me with how detailed, open, airy, beautiful and musical they sound. I'm actually falling in love with them more and more as I continue to listen :)

However, there are tracks that I listen to on a daily basis that would just sound a gazillion times better with a very powerful, tactile bass, so I set my heart upon finding an audiophile bass cannon at CanJam, and had been saving up for a long time to fund it!
Based on Head-Fi threads and reviews, I was fairly sure Empire Ears (and probably the Legend X specifically) would fit the bill, but I hadn't actually heard any of them myself. So the Mission was on :wink:

2) to listen to the rest of the EE line-up, try out a few alternate cables with them from the Effect Audio stand next door, and otherwise listen to a variety of other companies' products that I've read about on Head-Fi.

I accomplished Mission 1 (big time!), and it was not the result I expected. I thought it would be their Legend X, but it was actually the Empire Ears Nemesis that rocked my world :)
I'm going to post all about that process on the Empire Ears thread if anyone is interested, and indeed I've already written a lengthy post on there giving my impressions and comparisons of the Valkyrie and Wraith, and some brief mentions regarding the excellent Phantom and Bravado too.

Funnily enough, having accomplished Mission 1, I found I largely lost interest in listening to other stuff, and for sure part of me didn't want to listen to anything else that made me really want it, as I wouldn't have had the budget for it lol. Note that in the following comments, my impressions were coloured by the fact that I had gone to CanJam with a 'find an audiophile bass cannon' mindset lol.

I listened to the 64 Ears Tia Fourte Noir, and, just like the first time I heard the original Fourte at CanJam 2017, I was underwhelmed.
It had that TOTL IEM sound overall, but I think I'd need to have a good 2 week demo session to really figure out what I liked (or maybe disliked) about it.
There's always going to be debates over value for money, R&D costs etc, but frankly I've always felt that 64 Audio are simply pushing it - price wise - way beyond the point of what's reasonable.
I think they are, along with A&K, responsible for the trend of astronomical prices in new products, and I dislike them for it, although I don't deny that they each make good products.

I listened to 64 Audio's N8 IEM as well, and immediately liked that, although at (I think) around $1700, it was around the same price as the EE Nemesis, but for me, I preferred the sound of the Nemesis.
The N8 had a deep and rich low end but in the N8, the dynamic driver is used for the mids, so the bass is just covered by a BA. This showed in a lack of slam and impact compared with the Nemesis, although in most other regards, it had quite a few similarities. It was only a brief listen and so I can't give detailed descriptions, but I have to say I really was very impressed as my first reaction to the overall sound.

I had a short listen to Mezze Audio's Rai Penta; my brief impressions were a solid bass, expansive soundstage, good levels of detail, well balanced and overall a very nice IEM that offers (if I recall correctly) fairly good value for money.

I had a brief listen to the Campfire Audio Solaris. I heard the Atlas first and wasn't notably impressed. I thought the low end would be weaker on the Solaris, but to me, it was actually stronger and more impactful.
I have to say, if I hadn't been able to chose the EE Nemesis (or Legend X), I would have probably gone with the CA Solaris or the 64 Ears N8.

I wanted to hear some of the Acoustune models; I was recommended a particular model from the In-Ears line-up; I forget the name, but I think it was @glassmonkey who tipped me off about that one, and @Jackpot77 who tipped me off about the Acoustune. I'm sorry to say I didn't listen to either, which I regret now. It would have been nice just to get impressions of other companies' products and share them for y'all.

But I had a feeling very different from previous CanJams; this year I'd arrived first thing for both days and gone straight to the Empire Ears stand for 3 hour listening sessions (being conscious to accommodate other listeners - luckily most wanted to hear products other than the Nemesis, so I got to keep going back to those whilst rotating the others).
Then by the time I'd finished, I'd found my perfect audiophile bass cannon (and had ear impressions taken to order customs) and I already had a terrific neutral-musical detailed TOTL IEM in the U9 at home.

As such, all my boxes were pretty much comprehensively ticked and I was suddenly freed from desire, so to speak, and wandering round in a state of deep satisfaction. Plus, having spent a small fortune on the Nemesis, I didn't want to hear something that I might desperately want to own as well :p

I just had this feeling that I already have the great fortune having found 2 TOTL IEM's that cover all my needs.
Hence, why bother looking at other things? And also, the awareness that by the time the next CanJam rolls around, the other TOTL products that I had interest in hearing will probably have been superseded by even better products. So that's how it was for me this time. What I do wish is that I'd introduced myself to more of the fellow attendees and arranged to meet up with @HungryPanda et al in advance.
I really wish they gave us badges with our Head-Fi names on (for those that want such things at least). Would really help in striking up conversations with strangers, as I'm shy to do so even with people I already know (@Jackpot77 and @glassmonkey )! I hope to improve on this next time around, as the community is part of the whole appeal :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back