The Astell & Kern AK240
Jul 7, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #4,096 of 9,131
The battery life is awful for such a premium product.

I actually came to a conclusion the other way around - massive battery life (say way over 10hrs) actually tell me either the DAP is too big, or it won't sound good, or even both. I have yet to see that any good sounding DAP has a lot over the typical ~8 or 10 hours battery life.

So now I actually expect battery life of a premium DAP in this range. Of course more would be good, but it is a compromise of size/longevity I can take.

Jul 7, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #4,097 of 9,131
  AK can still look at optimizing the software for better battery life performance. Tweaks and changes in how the hardware works with software can dramatically save battery. Think phones with bad software updates that cause unwanted battery drain.

Could be something AK can look at especially when its processing DSD tracks etc 

I hope you have actually emailed AK central to ask them to do this...seriously.

Jul 7, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #4,098 of 9,131

That's pretty much how I feel about the AK240 & the HM-901 as per my AK240 review. Sonically, each has it's own place but UI-wise, the AK240 slaps the HM-901 in the face. One thing though, about the 7100s sounding boomy on the 901, I'm gonna say that it seems to be the character of the 7100 especially with setups that have a full bodied presentation.

Anyway, I have sent my AK240 off to be RWAKed and hopefully when it gets back I'll be more comfortable in letting the HM-901 go.

Eager to know your impressions after mod

Jul 7, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #4,100 of 9,131

What's the turn around time for the RWAK mod?

I was told 1-2 weeks. Presumably done after Mim's. I'll play with it for awhile but will send to @Currawong later in the month so that he can compare with the stock AK240. I'm going to be honest that I'm not comfortable in doing AK240/RWAK240 comparisons when I don't have two side-by-side. My memory is terrible these days. However I'll be happy to do RWAK240/HM-901 comparisons.

Jul 7, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #4,101 of 9,131
That's pretty much how I feel about the AK240 & the HM-901 as per my AK240 review. Sonically, each has it's own place but UI-wise, the AK240 slaps the HM-901 in the face. One thing though, about the 7100s sounding boomy on the 901, I'm gonna say that it seems to be the character of the 7100 especially with setups that have a full bodied presentation.

Anyway, I have sent my AK240 off to be RWAKed and hopefully when it gets back I'll be more comfortable in letting the HM-901 go.

looking forward to your impressions ... :popcorn:

:popcorn::popcorn:

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #4,102 of 9,131
Recently, I had the pleasure of listening to some classical recording through a pair Yamaha HS-10 speakers, Shure MDR-7506 headphones with the new Universal Audio Apollo Twin Duo professional interface. Do you think the DAc in the Chord Hugo is better with giving the clarity and feeling then the dac in the Apollo Twin duo? Do you think the dac in the apollo is better then the dac in the AK-240 player? If I'm listening to classical music from a enjoying feeling but analytical feeling, Do you think it neccesary to get the chord hugo to play classial wav files of artist such as Luciano Pavarotti, Joan Sutherland. would the chord hugo show more technique then the dac in the Apollo twin duo? What you opinion?

Lastly, IF I get the Chord Hugo, would it makes since to get the meridian prime? Which sounds the best in terms of accuracy and presence and showing microscopic detail of the singer (not so much the recording)?

If wanting to hear presence that one can touch the singers voices and actually tell what technique he or she is using or maybe even visualize the amount of breath they are singing. Do you think the HD-800 headphones with the Meridian Prime and/or Chord Hugo is enough or should I opted for anouther headphone and amp.

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #4,103 of 9,131
Recently, I had the pleasure of listening to some classical recording through a pair Yamaha HS-10 speakers, Shure MDR-7506 headphones with the new Universal Audio Apollo Twin Duo professional interface. Do you think the DAc in the Chord Hugo is better with giving the clarity and feeling then the dac in the Apollo Twin duo? Do you think the dac in the apollo is better then the dac in the AK-240 player? If I'm listening to classical music from a enjoying feeling but analytical feeling, Do you think it neccesary to get the chord hugo to play classial wav files of artist such as Luciano Pavarotti, Joan Sutherland. would the chord hugo show more technique then the dac in the Apollo twin duo? What you opinion?

Lastly, IF I get the Chord Hugo, would it makes since to get the meridian prime? Which sounds the best in terms of accuracy and presence and showing microscopic detail of the singer (not so much the recording)?

If wanting to hear presence that one can touch the singers voices and actually tell what technique he or she is using or maybe even visualize the amount of breath they are singing. Do you think the HD-800 headphones with the Meridian Prime and/or Chord Hugo is enough or should I opted for anouther headphone and amp.

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #4,104 of 9,131
I own both, it's not a bad idea!! :D

I thought I could replace my 901 with the ak240, but turn out I couldn't. At the same time the neat UI, useful features, and nice look and feel of ak240 made me hold on to it too.

The current stock card for 901 is the Classic Card and is the warmest of the 8 amp boards I have. The IEM or balanced amp cards (who have similar sig but very difference output levels) would give you somewhat less warmth, but much better instrument separation and soundstage (esp balanced mode for soundstage).

I second kkcc's emotion: get both! I have both too: complementary sigs. :)

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #4,105 of 9,131
I actually came to a conclusion the other way around - massive battery life (say way over 10hrs) actually tell me either the DAP is too big, or it won't sound good, or even both. I have yet to see that any good sounding DAP has a lot over the typical ~8 or 10 hours battery life.

So now I actually expect battery life of a premium DAP in this range. Of course more would be good, but it is a compromise of size/longevity I can take.

Agree with kkcc and CHG on this: this battery life is very normal for this level of SQ. I suspect that what is required to produce this level of SQ sucks up lots of power. :)

Jul 8, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #4,106 of 9,131
I was told 1-2 weeks. Presumably done after Mim's. I'll play with it for awhile but will send to @Currawong
 later in the month so that he can compare with the stock AK240. I'm going to be honest that I'm not comfortable in doing AK240/RWAK240 comparisons when I don't have two side-by-side. My memory is terrible these days. However I'll be happy to do RWAK240/HM-901 comparisons.
Mine left Vinnie today! Since I sent it without any info, I had to describe my music for him to identify mine...would love it if it was all the qualities of the 901 and AK240 mixed together :D

Jul 8, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #4,107 of 9,131
Mine left Vinnie today! Since I sent it without any info, I had to describe my music for him to identify mine...would love it if it was all the qualities of the 901 and AK240 mixed together
biggrin.gif

WOW...waiting on your impressions Mim...

Jul 8, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #4,108 of 9,131
Mine left Vinnie today! Since I sent it without any info, I had to describe my music for him to identify mine...would love it if it was all the qualities of the 901 and AK240 mixed together
biggrin.gif

DOH!!!!! I did the same :frowning2:. Oh well, hopefully there aren't too many ppl who have My Fair Lady & Sound of Music in DSD on their AK240s with him.

Jul 8, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #4,109 of 9,131

DOH!!!!! I did the same :frowning2:. Oh well, hopefully there aren't too many ppl who have My Fair Lady & Sound of Music in DSD on their AK240s with him.

Omgoshhhh!! Where did you find the DSDs for those 2 albums? Mind sharing the link? :)

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #4,110 of 9,131

Users who are viewing this thread

Back