The Astell & Kern AK240
Jul 6, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #4,066 of 9,131

Have to agree with this - the optimal/normal sound should really be heard a few seconds after you power it on the first time.  Everything inside is a component which functions optimally straight out of the factory, and from there they simply either work/fail (ICs) or very slowly drift out of spec and fail (caps, rarely resistors).  Leaving a DAP running for 400 hours trying to burn it in is simply giving it 400 hours less usable lifetime.  It's not like speakers which have moving parts that do free up a bit after use.

Also, the battery has its life too and 400 hours without listening is a big waste.  Of course, for now, we never know how long the 240 battery will last and I'm listening to my 240 during workdays and needs recharge every night.

Jul 6, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #4,067 of 9,131
Has anyone figured out how to add lyrics to song file's tag?
I have tried mp3tag as well as foobar add-on component Lyric Show 3 with no luck.
I have text in UNSYNCED LYRICS tag. However it's not showing up in the lyrics box of AK240.

Tried with some MP3 files that have lyrics when played on my iPhone but did not work.  

Jul 6, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #4,068 of 9,131
  Also, the battery has its life too and 400 hours without listening is a big waste.  Of course, for now, we never know how long the 240 battery will last and I'm listening to my 240 during workdays and needs recharge every night.

I believe the battery should last 3-5 years under normal conditions.  Cell phones which are usually recharged on a nightly basis have a minimum life expectancy on the lower end of this range.  Laptops on the higher range.  My experience is that batteries of the last 5 years or so seem to last longer than those from 2000-2005.  The only battery to which I have experienced issues with is in my 2 gen iPod.  I have an iPod from 2006 as well as an old laptop and they still hold almost a full charge.  

To be clear, I am not a battery expert but after using many laptops, mobile phones etc. since 1986 I do have some experience with batteries.  My expectation is that the battery in the AK240 will last at least 5 years under normal use.  If you are concerned send iRiver a note.  I would be interested in learning their battery replacement policy.

Jul 6, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #4,069 of 9,131

I believe the battery should last 3-5 years under normal conditions.  Cell phones which are usually recharged on a nightly basis have a minimum life expectancy on the lower end of this range.  Laptops on the higher range.  My experience is that batteries of the last 5 years or so seem to last longer than those from 2000-2005.  The only battery to which I have experienced issues with is in my 2 gen iPod.  I have an iPod from 2006 as well as an old laptop and they still hold almost a full charge.  

To be clear, I am not a battery expert but after using many laptops, mobile phones etc. since 1986 I do have some experience with batteries.  My expectation is that the battery in the AK240 will last at least 5 years under normal use.  If you are concerned send iRiver a note.  I would be interested in learning their battery replacement policy.

Thanks.  I think the same too as battery tech advances (like the Toyota Prius) and the only concern is by then (5 years later) will there be replacement battery available.

Jul 6, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #4,070 of 9,131
  Thanks.  I think the same too as battery tech advances (like the Toyota Prius) and the only concern is by then (5 years later) will there be replacement battery available.

Good point about battery availability.  I thought that it was a requirement for manufactures to have spare parts for up to 5 years from the initial sale date of a product. It's likely we will have moved on to something else after 5 years. I'm seriously looking at the Geek Wave as a mobile DAP I will travel with since I don't want to take the AK240 on the road.  The Wave looks interesting and it has a replaceable battery.  The link is below:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/geek-wave-it-s-not-a-next-gen-ipod-it-s-a-no-compromise-portable-music-player

Jul 7, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #4,071 of 9,131
  Good point about battery availability.  I thought that it was a requirement for manufactures to have spare parts for up to 5 years from the initial sale date of a product. It's likely we will have moved on to something else after 5 years. I'm seriously looking at the Geek Wave as a mobile DAP I will travel with since I don't want to take the AK240 on the road.  The Wave looks interesting and it has a replaceable battery.  The link is below:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/geek-wave-it-s-not-a-next-gen-ipod-it-s-a-no-compromise-portable-music-player

It's a hexagon shape? 

Jul 7, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #4,072 of 9,131
Believe it or not, the phones I have enjoyed most with the 240 are the Ultrasone E10 with the treble brought back a bit on the EQ. I have also tried the E8.
I have no trouble driving the LCD3 without an external amp. Comparing the LCD3 on the balanced output of the 240 with them going through an external amp (CI Audio VHP-2) unbalanced, I definitely prefer the sound from the balanced output unamped.

For iem the Sennheiser 800 balanced are something special.

Balanced cable mods from Moon Audio.

Jul 7, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #4,073 of 9,131
Here's something funny. Lots of seats on airplanes have power now. So, I use the iPhone square plug and the Kindle cord to charge the AK240 to make sure I have enough juice.  While sitting on the ground, there is a hum that is quite noticeable with the 334s, ( I don't use the Miracles till in flight when I don't have to communicate with anyone:) and only when I touch the plug does the hum go away. Its almost like I am grounding the AK thru the plug of the 334. I also...

Jul 7, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #4,074 of 9,131
  Here's something funny. Lots of seats on airplanes have power now. So, I use the iPhone square plug and the Kindle cord to charge the AK240 to make sure I have enough juice.  While sitting on the ground, there is a hum that is quite noticeable with the 334s, ( I don't use the Miracles till in flight when I don't have to communicate with anyone:) and only when I touch the plug does the hum go away. Its almost like I am grounding the AK thru the plug of the 334. I also...

Noticed the same when I listen while I charge...as soon as I remove the power cord, the interference are gone

Jul 7, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #4,075 of 9,131

Noticed the same when I listen while I charge...as soon as I remove the power cord, the interference are gone

I will check it out Toolman I thought I tried it with power at home, computer or wall wart without a hum, I don't remember but will try in the next day or so.

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #4,076 of 9,131

I did charging when the battery was down and keep listening.  Never aware of hum or maybe next time I'll pay attention to see if it occurs in my situation.

Jul 7, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #4,078 of 9,131
Anybody see any issuers, with using say a Whiplash or silver Litz Cable from Ted, 2.5mm, then say using a DHC 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter. I know I can't go 3.5 mm to 2.5mm. Was worried about mixing different metals.

Jul 7, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #4,079 of 9,131
Anybody see any issuers, with using say a Whiplash or silver Litz Cable from Ted, 2.5mm, then say using a DHC 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter. I know I can't go 3.5 mm to 2.5mm. Was worried about mixing different metals.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I have the Silver Litz cable from Ted for my SE846, terminated with 2.5mm TRRS (for balanced out of AK240).  Then I have 2.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm TRRS adaptor (for balanced out of HM-901) and 2.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm TRS (for normal singled-ended use).  Both adaptors are from Ted as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back