The Astell & Kern AK240
Jul 6, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #4,051 of 9,131

300-400 hours are needed for the 240 to fully settle in. Until then, you should continue to notice changes, sometimes even negative ones.

I've found through the years that burn-in is usually a non-linear path towards improvement.

Mine should have reached this level.  

Jul 6, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #4,052 of 9,131
  Mine should have reached this level.  

I don't think mine is anywhere near this level yet. Maybe 100 hours.

Right now i am feeling like i want to go back to 1.11 though if that is possible. Only for SQ reasons.

Jul 6, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #4,053 of 9,131
Sorry, I perhaps didn't make myself clear. There are some people who have stated that having the EQ on Flat is preferable to no EQ. I just wanted to confirm what they meant my 'Flat', is it a flat line along the middle of the EQ settings (i.e. along 0.0)?

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #4,055 of 9,131
I really do not know how anyone can say a DAP needs X hours to settle in. Changes can be very subtle, how can you have any clue what your DAP sounded like 400 hours ago...

To your second point, you can't with any certainty.  I suppose your initial comparison many hours previously could be to some control such as another set of headphones but even this is dubious IMO.  The brain effect would trump any subtle change.

[size=x-small]To your first point, I can see where mechanical devices may change but I am a bit doubtful that [/size][size=small]electronics ([/size]discrete or ICs) change much over time.  If significant changes can occur in electronics over time then you would have issues with your systems.  Which occurred when tubes were an integral component in many systems. Tubes would change over time and move outside their specifications which you either designed for or your system wouldn't work correctly.  During my stint through aerospace, I never heard anyone overly concerned about transistors and caps. They either worked or they didn't.

Jul 6, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #4,056 of 9,131

I don't think mine is anywhere near this level yet. Maybe 100 hours.

Right now i am feeling like i want to go back to 1.11 though if that is possible. Only for SQ reasons.

Don't think you could reverse back to 1.11.  

Jul 6, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #4,057 of 9,131
I really do not know how anyone can say a DAP needs X hours to settle in. Changes can be very subtle, how can you have any clue what your DAP sounded like 400 hours ago...

I had one very obvious experience with my Meitner MA1 and after 2 weeks of use I was highly regret as the sound was awful.  However, another two weeks on the sound changed and now I am one very happy owner (owned it for two years).

Jul 6, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #4,059 of 9,131
Has anyone figured out how to add lyrics to song file's tag?
I have tried mp3tag as well as foobar add-on component Lyric Show 3 with no luck.
I have text in UNSYNCED LYRICS tag. However it's not showing up in the lyrics box of AK240.

Jul 6, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #4,060 of 9,131
  To your second point, you can't with any certainty.  I suppose your initial comparison many hours previously could be to some control such as another set of headphones but even this is dubious IMO.  The brain effect would trump any subtle change.

[size=x-small]To your first point, I can see where mechanical devices may change but I am a bit doubtful that [/size][size=small]electronics ([/size]discrete or ICs) change much over time.  If significant changes can occur in electronics over time then you would have issues with your systems.  Which occurred when tubes were an integral component in many systems. Tubes would change over time and move outside their specifications which you either designed for or your system wouldn't work correctly.  During my stint through aerospace, I never heard anyone overly concerned about transistors and caps. They either worked or they didn't.

Have to agree with this - the optimal/normal sound should really be heard a few seconds after you power it on the first time.  Everything inside is a component which functions optimally straight out of the factory, and from there they simply either work/fail (ICs) or very slowly drift out of spec and fail (caps, rarely resistors).  Leaving a DAP running for 400 hours trying to burn it in is simply giving it 400 hours less usable lifetime.  It's not like speakers which have moving parts that do free up a bit after use.

Jul 6, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #4,062 of 9,131
Never mind.
I had to tweak out Lyric Show in foobar preferences.
I changed all lyrics to show in tag LYRICS for both categories synced and unsynced.
That seemed to work.

Jul 6, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #4,063 of 9,131
Thanx nles

Jul 6, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #4,064 of 9,131
With foobar's Lyric Show 3
I can get all lyrics to album in a couple clicks.
I'm just using mp3tag to confirm the lyrics are present in the tag.

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #4,065 of 9,131
  What difference do you hear between the 2?

Subjectively and of course from memory. 1.15 seems hmmmm thicker sounding especially in the bass and seems to have lost a bit of air and ambience. This could also be due to my DITA The Answer (dynamic driver) changing slightly in character. Although i have used them enough that i would have thought no further change could occur. 

As i asked when i first mentioned it, am i hearing things ?  It would seem likely yes from the responses so far. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back