The absolute BEST amp for the LCD-3 (only vote if you have heard the mjolnir and at least one other amp, preferably most on the list)
May 16, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #93 of 187
I have a Mjolnir using with LCD2.2 and Gungnir dac. The package sounds awesome. It started out sounding a little more dark than I thought it might but now the phones just sound neutral to very very slightly on the warm side. I can (and do) listen to the rig for hours on end. Wouldn't the combo work great on the LCD3 also?

May 18, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #94 of 187
Quote:
I have a Mjolnir using with LCD2.2 and Gungnir dac. The package sounds awesome. It started out sounding a little more dark than I thought it might but now the phones just sound neutral to very very slightly on the warm side. I can (and do) listen to the rig for hours on end. Wouldn't the combo work great on the LCD3 also?

I just got my LCD2.2 a few days ago and am debating between Mjolnir, Soloist, and V200 amps. I listen to mostly rock/alternative/metal, and I am a basshead. I do enjoy a warm and natural musical sound that isn't too analytically neutral.

Based on my preferences, what's the right choice?

Oct 20, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #96 of 187
Quote:

I just got my LCD2.2 a few days ago and am debating between Mjolnir, Soloist, and V200 amps. I listen to mostly rock/alternative/metal, and I am a basshead. I do enjoy a warm and natural musical sound that isn't too analytically neutral.

Based on my preferences, what's the right choice?

Mjo is great, especially with withLCD3. . The V200 can be a little too dark with LCD3, but it is great with everything else, including LCD2

Oct 21, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #97 of 187

I have had the LCD3s for a few months and the Mjo does indeed sound completely awesome as does the Gungnir dac. I have no doubt there are any number of other amp/dac combos that will also sound just beautiful with the LCD3s. In fact I just can't work up any motivation for getting another amp or dac to try with these phones since what I have sounds really nice. Maybe someday I will try a Cyclops speaker amp but for now looking at twin turbos and new injectors, valve springs, push rods, and head studs for my diesel truck. BUT if the rig I have now was really bugging me (it definitely is not) that would be a top priority to fix. Fortunately there is a wide diversity of gear for every taste in audiophile and it's all good...

Oct 21, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #98 of 187
I was lucky enough to hear these cans on a few of the amps listed last weekend. I voted for the Mjolnir because it sounded absolutely amazing. I liked the WA6 SE slightly more, but for the price, the Schiit would be my choice. The Woo seemed to have slightly better dynamics than the Schiit, and sounded a little warmer (which I like), but for the money, the Mjolnir can't be beat (in my opinion).

Oct 21, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #99 of 187
WA6-SE!!!

Though i like my gsx mk2 more.

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #101 of 187
the WA6-SE was really good with LCD-3, but it felt like the LCD-3 was kinda being held back, the LCD-2 paired alot better with it. it [the LCD-3] didn't have that synergistic quality with the WA6-SE IMO. at least for me, i felt like dynamics could be better and the bass wasn't great. 

though part of this is also bias since i seem to have a preference for the LCD-2s presentation, just the GSX mk2 made the LCD-3 sound so much better, that i was willing to accept the LCD-3 and the better sound in exchange for the difference in bass.

the WA6-SE with the right tubes sounded great with LCD-3 though, huge soundstage, great imaging too!

Oct 21, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #102 of 187
With the amount of people raving about the GSXmk2 I'm surprised not too many have voted for it...

Oct 22, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #103 of 187
i noticed that too, but the GSX Mk2 was still new i think when this thread was made. also not many have heard it.

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #104 of 187
i noticed that too, but the GSX Mk2 was still new i think when this thread was made. also not many have heard it.

A poll like this isn't really about what's the best, but "what's the best you have heard " Cheaper and more accessible amps are favored in the poll by methodological design.

Nov 9, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #105 of 187
Right now I have a gungnir feeding a mjolnir and it sounds absolutely amazing, but I am thinking about adding a WA22 to my system. Has anyone used the preamp out XLR connections on the mjolnir to feed the WA22? I am wondering how this would sound. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back