The absolute BEST amp for the LCD-3 (only vote if you have heard the mjolnir and at least one other amp, preferably most on the list)
Jan 11, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #77 of 187
Quote:
I don't own the mjolnir but was curious enough to seek it out at RMAF and try it. My headphones are LCD3 and I have owned the LG for longer than anyone cares. The micro resolution and soundscape that I am used to was not present on the mjolnir, I am not saying that it sounded poorly or even that it didn't sound good , I just feel that they are not very similar and my preference is for the amp that I own. Long winded descriptions are not useful to anybody as they are merely opinion (as is this entire commentary)..dB

dB,

You are one of a very few people that heard the LAu..  Compare that to the LG..  At this point, will the LAu get better?  Not by more features but by tweaking the sound ..

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #79 of 187
I was at the Audeze booth at RMAF.  They were running a Mjonir on one side and a Dark Star on the other.  I kept going back to the DS.  I remember thinking to myself,"So this is why everybody loves these headphones!" while listening to the DS.  The Mjonir not so much.  I mean it was OK, but not anywhere near the Ray Samuels' monster.  Of course, for the cost, you would hope the DS would be better.

I also listened to the Liquid Fire and thought it added "something" to the sound.  Maybe just a bit more tubiness then I'm used to.  I really liked it, but I had to give the transparency edge and thus the overall edge to the DS.  That's what I voted for.

By the way, can anybody recommend an amp that sounds as good as the DS for around $2K?

Just wishful thinking.

Jan 27, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #80 of 187
Quote:
I was at the Audeze booth at RMAF.  They were running a Mjonir on one side and a Dark Star on the other.  I kept going back to the DS.  I remember thinking to myself,"So this is why everybody loves these headphones!" while listening to the DS.  The Mjonir not so much.  I mean it was OK, but not anywhere near the Ray Samuels' monster.  Of course, for the cost, you would hope the DS would be better.

I also listened to the Liquid Fire and thought it added "something" to the sound.  Maybe just a bit more tubiness then I'm used to.  I really liked it, but I had to give the transparency edge and thus the overall edge to the DS.  That's what I voted for.

By the way, can anybody recommend an amp that sounds as good as the DS for around $2K?

Just wishful thinking.

Considering half the price of the DS is the case I would expect a number of $2000 amps to sound at least as good, far fewer though if you are driving the HE-6's.

Jan 27, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #82 of 187
Quote:

Just wishful thinking.

BHA-1, GS-X, B22, Soloist, lots more....

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #85 of 187
Quote:
What other amps have you heard with your lcd3?

I have heard 3 amps with the LCD-3 :

1. Centrance DACmini : The DACmini was very good with the LCD-2 but I was disapointed with the LCD-3, not powerfull enough for my tastes.
  2. Bryston BHA-1 : The BHA-1 is a very good amplifier with the LCD-3, in my opinion as good as the Mjolnir but the Bryston is more expensive.  I think that they are very similar.
  3. Burson Soloist : The Soloist is a very good amp for the LCD-3 but the sound was too much mellow for my tastes.

I'm listening to Progressive Metal music so I need a lot of punch in my music and with the Mjolnir I have been well served so far.

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #86 of 187
Quote:

I have heard 3 amps with the LCD-3 :

1. Centrance DACmini : The DACmini was very good with the LCD-2 but I was disapointed with the LCD-3, not powerfull enough for my tastes.
  2. Bryston BHA-1 : The BHA-1 is a very good amplifier with the LCD-3, in my opinion as good as the Mjolnir but the Bryston is more expensive.  I think that they are very similar.
  3. Burson Soloist : The Soloist is a very good amp for the LCD-3 but the sound was too much mellow for my tastes.

I'm listening to Progressive Metal music so I need a lot of punch in my music and with the Mjolnir I have been well served so far.

I thought the Soloist was more forward sounding? Gain settings influence the sound. On which gain setting you tried the LCD-3?  

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #88 of 187
Quote:

I thought the Soloist was more forward sounding? Gain settings influence the sound. On which gain setting you tried the LCD-3?  

The Soloist is laid back compared to, say, Mjolnir which was his point of reference.

The Soloist is quite nice though, very good clarity, details, resolution. It's just too laid back for some people's preference.

I do think that most people favor the Mjolnir for rock, metal, etc. Just soo much big swing.

Mar 4, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #90 of 187
I bought a LCD3, and really don't know whart to take.
DAC+AMP our DAC/AMP:
With my research i found Schiit MAGNIR+MOLJNIR or Audio-GD 27, what do you think or if you have a better option?
I am listening Rock/Hard Rock/Post Rock.
My budget is 1200$
Ty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back