The absolute BEST amp for the LCD-3 (only vote if you have heard the mjolnir and at least one other amp, preferably most on the list)
Jan 10, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #61 of 187
There is literally no way to really make a call like this. Especially since LG takes so many. You could potentially find tubes of different variants that are very transparent. 

Quote:
Hmmm I guess the liquid glass could in a way save money too, more versatile, good amp for more headphones than the mjolnir. I don't know anything about tubes, what tubes are the most transparent and detailed in general?

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #62 of 187
Quote:
awww don't be mad bro...it's gonna be ok. This is a hobby of passion and sometimes people make passionate statements. No need to get bent out of shape. Jason has done a lot with his company in a short period of time and I think it's refreshing to have somebody in the industry who will actually engage the community, responds to feedback, and is willing to admit when his passion leads to momentary lapses in "protocol". 

All I can afford right now is my Bifrost/Lyr and for me this is end game

for now :)

I love the sentiments of this comment - so true, passion is good.

I thought I wasn't going to be a LCD fan until I heard the 3 with a Liquid Fire. I liked that a lot!

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #63 of 187
Quote:
Hmmm I guess the liquid glass could in a way save money too, more versatile, good amp for more headphones than the mjolnir. I don't know anything about tubes, what tubes are the most transparent and detailed in general?

No way in the world.  It's more like a way to spend even more money.  First the LG is not cheap, then tubes are not cheap,  Also this amp take so many different tubes you can be buying tubes for a lonf time..

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #64 of 187
Quote:

No way in the world.  It's more like a way to spend even more money.  First the LG is not cheap, then tubes are not cheap,  Also this amp take so many different tubes you can be buying tubes for a lonf time..

Ya I just figured that out, didn't expect tubes to be that expensive, looked up some tubes online and they go for ALOT of money, leaning towards getting the mjolnir now, relatively cheap, no tube rolling, perfect for lcd3s, but that upcoming statement amp, hmm

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #65 of 187
Quote:

Haha! Yea. save money in the long run with the endless amount of tube rolling.

Over 3k in tubes for Lyr and I'm betting that pales in comparison (long run wise) to LG.

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #66 of 187
Quote:
Ya I just figured that out, didn't expect tubes to be that expensive, looked up some tubes online and they go for ALOT of money, leaning towards getting the mjolnir now, relatively cheap, no tube rolling, perfect for lcd3s, but that upcoming statement amp, hmm

How long you want to wait for the statement.  Get the Mj.  Sell it as soon as the Statement comes out.   It's going to be a while before the statement comes out.

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #72 of 187
Quote:
Very few people have heard the LG , personally I think they differ by a wide margin

I think that may only be the case with the HD800 which benefits the most from tube amps. Other than that, taking, say, the LCD-3
with either Mojo or LG, it's very close performing on either amp. Although, the difference being is x tubes being used in the LG.

But I'm of the opinion that statements of differences between amps are hugely exaggerated. Ultimately it's all subjective anyhow.

Statement should be roughly double the costs of balanced Schiit. So $1400-2000. But who knows really, a lot could change.

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #73 of 187
I completely agree but I was pretty underwhelmed by Mjolnir with most headphones I tried on it. I'd pick the BHA-1 9 times out of 10. It's still a good value but considering I'd pick the LG over the BHA-1 any day of the week I'd still say it's better.

Calling Mjolnir the 'overall best' is a stretch. Best value? Quite possible.

EDIT: I've only had 3 'wow' moments with headphones. I usually remind people how small some differences are myself.

Quote:
I think that may only be the case with the HD800 which benefits the most from tube amps. Other than that, taking, say, the LCD-3
with either Mojo or LG, it's very close performing on either amp. Although, the difference being is x tubes being used in the LG.

But I'm of the opinion that statements of differences between amps are hugely exaggerated. Ultimately it's all subjective anyhow.

Statement should be roughly double the costs of balanced Schiit. So $1400-2000. But who knows really, a lot could change.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #74 of 187
Quote:
I completely agree but I was pretty underwhelmed by Mjolnir with most headphones I tried on it. I'd pick the BHA-1 9 times out of 10. It's still a good value but considering I'd pick the LG over the BHA-1 any day of the week I'd still say it's better.

Calling Mjolnir the 'overall best' is a stretch. Best value? Quite possible.

EDIT: I've only had 3 'wow' moments with headphones. I usually remind people how small some differences are myself.

I believe the Mjolnir is among the best w/LCD-3 when compared to the very best of amps. I am careful to not speak about pairings I haven't heard.
Such as the HD800 which has a higher resolution ceiling. for example.

I think Mjolnir could be the best value and I think the LG could be the most fun amp (w/all the rolling potential).

Considering the focus for this thread is the LCD-3, I remain adement that it's a top contending pairing.

And yea, I wish we could tone it down and give some realistic expectations. 

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #75 of 187
I don't own the mjolnir but was curious enough to seek it out at RMAF and try it. My headphones are LCD3 and I have owned the LG for longer than anyone cares. The micro resolution and soundscape that I am used to was not present on the mjolnir, I am not saying that it sounded poorly or even that it didn't sound good , I just feel that they are not very similar and my preference is for the amp that I own. Long winded descriptions are not useful to anybody as they are merely opinion (as is this entire commentary)..dB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back