Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Feb 8, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #2,042 of 2,336

really lucky man
deadhorse.gif

good job!!

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #2,044 of 2,336
Just got my V4 Magnums, they fell and sound great!

Even so, I'd really like to know more about the V4 driver and all it's technology (what and how it's made of, where are they made, what are it's technical specs, etc.). 
Are they (V4 Driver) still based on the improved SR325i driver? 

Also, I never had a vanilla Grado so would like to know how "Gradoish" does Magnum sound and, even, how they fare against Grado's best Cans (PS1000?).

Please, I'd really like to know more (much more) about such a great product. I mean, I haven't bought a BOSE... Some information about it would be really nice!

Thanks so much for the help!

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #2,047 of 2,336

Quote:

My Magnums arrived! I haven't listened to them yet, as I am planning to let them burn in for a while. I also uploaded an unboxing video  CHECK IT OUT!

Is it just me or I can't access the video? It says video not found...

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Feb 14, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #2,049 of 2,336

Quote:
Just got my V4 Magnums, they fell and sound great!

Even so, I'd really like to know more about the V4 driver and all it's technology (what and how it's made of, where are they made, what are it's technical specs, etc.). 
Are they (V4 Driver) still based on the improved SR325i driver? 

Also, I never had a vanilla Grado so would like to know how "Gradoish" does Magnum sound and, even, how they fare against Grado's best Cans (PS1000?).

Please, I'd really like to know more (much more) about such a great product. I mean, I haven't bought a BOSE... Some information about it would be really nice!

Thanks so much for the help!

i think that the V4 driver is a new driver different compared to the 325  driver.
i prefer, without any doubt(and with my electronics of course)the magnum to the ps-1000
if considere the price, confort and sound signature the magnum is the winner.
i think that the magnum is in the same position of the hp-1000.
only my two cent´s

Feb 14, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #2,050 of 2,336
Sup all?

Been a while since I checked in here. I'm a proud original owner of the V1 "lite" Magnums, and lately they've been my go-to cans like 99% of the time. I recently paired them with my Little Dot MKIII and some EF91 tubes and man this is IT for me.

I'm no good at describing things in audiophile terms and I think that is tricky anyway since we all perceive things differently. What I call 'detailed' you might "harsh highs" and what I call boring you may call laid back. What one guy calls Upper Mids migh be another guys highs. Who knows - and how can you really? So I just know I like what I like. And I like my music to have balls. That's not to say boomy bass, not at all - just power and speed and clarity. My musical tastes are pretty diverse. I love metal, hip hop, classical, jazz, rock and nearly everything in between. I'm not big on country and techno, while it has some highlights, is mostly not my thing either.

For example, my original Grado earpads (the L-Cush I guess if you were to buy them online) were getting pretty ragged so I figured I'd finally try the different pad options. First I tried the G-cush pads because I had my eye on them every since they were first released. Well, consider me disillusioned. They completely NEUTERED my Magnums! No balls. Lots of air and fluff, no power. Didn't like this instantly. I gave it maybe an hour but no. These came off.

Next back to the replacement L-Cush - just to reset everything and make sure I wasn't crazy. All good.

The yellow Senn pads sounded pretty similar to the Grado pads, but were a touch more comfortable. I didn't do the quarter mod, but bass seemed a bit boomier. I like these, not a huge difference.

Now, the s-cush. The flat pads that apparently come with the "lower end" Grados these days. Wow. This did it for my and my V1 mags. BIG BALLS. Great detail, no harshness. These pads with my EF91 tubes on my LDMKIII have been all I've listened to for weeks. Put the Senns back on for a bit - mostly to try some new binaural stuff (Senns still have much bigger soundstage!) - but was quickly back to the Magnums.

Would love to hear the new versions. From what I read about the 2's and 3's I ended up keeping the 1's (also didn't want to part with them for months!) - but now I'm curious about the evolution. Wonder if I'd consider it so... :)

Feb 14, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #2,055 of 2,336

Quote:

Now, the s-cush. The flat pads that apparently come with the "lower end" Grados these days. Wow. This did it for my and my V1 mags. BIG BALLS. Great detail, no harshness. These pads with my EF91 tubes on my LDMKIII have been all I've listened to for weeks. Put the Senns back on for a bit - mostly to try some new binaural stuff (Senns still have much bigger soundstage!) - but was quickly back to the Magnums.

Interesting...wouldn't the s-cush/comfies be pretty much the same as the senn 414 pads unmodded? unless they're made out of different material I guess...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back