Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Feb 27, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #2,071 of 2,336
For the guys using their Magnums with the O2... what gain do you have? or are you using? When I get my Magnums back I'll be building an O2 with possibly the default gains of 2.5x and 6.5x. However, if 2.5 is overkill I'll be dialing everything down to 1x / 3x. BTW I'm using the Gamma-2 with the O2.

Feb 27, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #2,073 of 2,336

Quote:
For the guys using their Magnums with the O2... what gain do you have? or are you using? When I get my Magnums back I'll be building an O2 with possibly the default gains of 2.5x and 6.5x. However, if 2.5 is overkill I'll be dialing everything down to 1x / 3x. BTW I'm using the Gamma-2 with the O2.

I use the 1x gain with my magnums and they're enough.

Feb 27, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #2,074 of 2,336
So it seems like 1x and 3x would be the way to go with the O2 and Magnums. My kit will come with 2.5x and 6.5x, but I'll have to find a sip socket solution so I can easily swap resistors. I'll ask about that in the DIY section.

Feb 27, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #2,075 of 2,336

If you used the BOM from the NwAvGuy blog site it include the socket and all the Gain resistors.

I have build mine with 1x & 3x and on 3x it drive my T1 very well. On 1x you should be able to drive most headphone under 300 ohm.

Cheer

So it seems like 1x and 3x would be the way to go with the O2 and Magnums. My kit will come with 2.5x and 6.5x, but I'll have to find a sip socket solution so I can easily swap resistors. I'll ask about that in the DIY section.

Mar 10, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #2,078 of 2,336
Quote:
I am thinking about buying metal inners from Rhydon (he does sell Magnums drivers separately, so why not about only the inners) to replace the plastic inners of my SR325i or SR325.

How do you guys think it would sound? Good? Was this ever done before, or an idea considered?

All metal Grado modding/making has been done often over here but I couldn't find any impressions about their sound using the stock Grado drivers of the lower end of the prestige series (most often times)... would mine sound like a PS1? Rhydon could surely answer that question he's got to be the guy the most experienced on earth about the Grado drivers comboed to full metal Grado headphone bodies.

I also wonder about putting a Magnum driver into a HP1000 enclosure. Would it fit? I definitely need to contact Rhydon as this guy must have tried them all already.

Mar 12, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #2,079 of 2,336
I received a pair of magnum v4 Goldie's last week courtesy of head Fi member Nick01. I have always loved the grado sound but all the grados I have had in the past have given me treble fatigue leaving me to have to stick with my hd650s. Well I'm happy to report that the v4 magnums not only solve that upper mids harshness problem but are among the smoothest headphones I have ever used. I find their sound perfect with quarter modded hd414 pads and am awaiting a pair of new Ttvj flats which I think may be even better, I had a pair of flats when I had my rs2s but sold them off with the headphones as I had sworn myself off grado for good as I was feeling that it was somewhat of a fatal attraction and my ringing ears would thank me later. What do the v4s do that is so great? The answer is everything. Great balance of sound, perfect mids, smooth highs, punchy and powerful bass - in a word perfection and they only have about 50 hrs on them so far so it can only get even better with another 100 hrs burn in. Now a question for all you ms pro users out there, I have always been fascinated by the ms pro and view it as the one that got away in my headphone journey, now that I have found perfection in the v4 magnums I still would like to know how the ms pros match up. Has anyone heard both and would I be wise to tame the lust for the ms pros and rest assured that the v4 is the smoothest and most balanced grado variant out there or should I hunt down a pair of ms pros in the future and battle them off for ultimate status. 

Mar 12, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #2,080 of 2,336
i agree with you 100%
i really love this hp with the flats

Quote:
I received a pair of magnum v4 Goldie's last week courtesy of head Fi member Nick01. I have always loved the grado sound but all the grados I have had in the past have given me treble fatigue leaving me to have to stick with my hd650s. Well I'm happy to report that the v4 magnums not only solve that upper mids harshness problem but are among the smoothest headphones I have ever used. I find their sound perfect with quarter modded hd414 pads and am awaiting a pair of new Ttvj flats which I think may be even better, I had a pair of flats when I had my rs2s but sold them off with the headphones as I had sworn myself off grado for good as I was feeling that it was somewhat of a fatal attraction and my ringing ears would thank me later. What do the v4s do that is so great? The answer is everything. Great balance of sound, perfect mids, smooth highs, punchy and powerful bass - in a word perfection and they only have about 50 hrs on them so far so it can only get even better with another 100 hrs burn in. Now a question for all you ms pro users out there, I have always been fascinated by the ms pro and view it as the one that got away in my headphone journey, now that I have found perfection in the v4 magnums I still would like to know how the ms pros match up. Has anyone heard both and would I be wise to tame the lust for the ms pros and rest assured that the v4 is the smoothest and most balanced grado variant out there or should I hunt down a pair of ms pros in the future and battle them off for ultimate status. 

Mar 12, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #2,082 of 2,336
I just picked up a pair of T1's because I've always been curious about them.  I have very little time with them but so far there's nothing about them that makes me want to stop using my magnums.

Mar 12, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #2,083 of 2,336

Quote:
Should I still pine for the ms pros or is this as good as it gets? I'm starting to think it is but the one that got away is the one you'll never have.

I have both.  As good as the MS-Pro is, the Magnum is better.

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #2,084 of 2,336
would it be justified to try both or should i just be content with the magnums. there is a pair of ms pros on ebay that are tempting me greatly and i am agobnising over whether i should give them a shot on the off chance that i may prefer them. what would you say the difference between the 2 are. are they more similar than different?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back