Sony MDR7506 vs Bose vs Audio Technica ATHM40FS
Mar 3, 2008 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Quitoman89

New Head-Fier
Right now I have Sennheiser PX100's and Sennheiser HD202's and they are nice but I want some real audiophile headphones now...

My choices are between:

Sony MDR7506 (I've heard they are they best sounding headphones under $200)
Amazon.com: Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone: Electronics

Bose around-ear headphones
Amazon.com: Bose® around-ear headphones, for personal and portable listening: Electronics

Audio Technica ATHM40FS
Amazon.com: Audio Technica ATHM40FS Precision StudioPhones: Electronics

Please give me some feedback on what to buy, theres quite a difference in price and I'm sure there is a big difference in sound

Mar 4, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #4 of 17
I doubt you heard all three of the headphones he listed.

Mar 4, 2008 at 7:42 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by aZn_plyR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doubt you heard all three of the headphones he listed.

Ya,it is sure.
only heard Bose and 7506.

I never heard the Audio Technica ATHM40FS.and first time know this headphone.

But heard the A900,A900LTD,A1000,AD1000,AD900 in a period time.

Mar 4, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #7 of 17
They are all closed around ear phones so any of them work, i just want to know what sounds the nicest. I'm looking for a nice surround sound like sound, since my PX100's sound like they are coming from inside my head.

I listen to rock music. what do you guys think? The sony's look the best to me.

Mar 4, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quitoman89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now I have Sennheiser PX100's and Sennheiser HD202's and they are nice but I want some real audiophile headphones now...

My choices are between:

Sony MDR7506 (I've heard they are they best sounding headphones under $200)
Amazon.com: Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone: Electronics

Bose around-ear headphones
Amazon.com: Bose® around-ear headphones, for personal and portable listening: Electronics

Audio Technica ATHM40FS
Amazon.com: Audio Technica ATHM40FS Precision StudioPhones: Electronics

Please give me some feedback on what to buy, theres quite a difference in price and I'm sure there is a big difference in sound

I liked the MDR-7509s better than the 7506s.

kb

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Mar 6, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quitoman89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are all closed around ear phones so any of them work, i just want to know what sounds the nicest. I'm looking for a nice surround sound like sound, since my PX100's sound like they are coming from inside my head.

I listen to rock music. what do you guys think? The sony's look the best to me.

Try the Garder? nice choice for Rock than these three,i think.

Mar 6, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghyghjgh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ya,it is sure.
only heard Bose and 7506.

I never heard the Audio Technica ATHM40FS.and first time know this headphone.

But heard the A900,A900LTD,A1000,AD1000,AD900 in a period time.

Do you even speak English??? I mean people appreciate a intelligible sentence.

Anyway to the OP, as far as your commit that the 7506 being the best under $200, um no, not by a long shot IMO. To me that would go to the Grado SR225.

Mar 6, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by crewchief /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you even speak English??? I mean people appreciate a intelligible sentence.

Anyway to the OP, as far as your commit that the 7506 being the best under $200, um no, not by a long shot IMO. To me that would go to the Grado SR225.

x2. No way the Sony is the best under $200, I would also take the SR225 over the 7506 in an instant.

Mar 6, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #12 of 17
Judging by your choices, for the price of those headphones, you have much more options than just the 3 of those. Does it have to be closed headphones? Cheap closed headphones seem to be more in-my-head than comparable open headphones. It's just that the Senns have a veiled sound that makes it sound too congested.

Mar 8, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #13 of 17
The 7506 is pretty decent for the money, looks like they can be had for $90. If you really want to spend $200, Beyerdynamic DT880's can be had on ebay for $200 shipped. They're more crisp sounding than the sony's particularly with the highs. You'll need an amp to drive though.

Sep 13, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #14 of 17

I have all 3, for home-studio equalising & mixing, & transfering LPs & cassettes to CD.

I'm 62, with reasonable high frequency loss.  I'm not a heavy bass fan. 

Sony MDR-7506 : Sufficient bass, solid mediums, rather harsh highs (peaks at 4kHz and 10kHz but not much after that. Good for detctecting LP surface-noise, tape hiss ,scratchy violins etc. Good for tracking on location. Best  isolation of the 3.

Bose Circum : No extreme highs or lows. Heavy bass, sibilant but not aggressive highs, very weak medium. Suitable for low-volume listening - a rounded, silky effect, but useless in a studio!

Audio Technica ATH-M40fs : Full but not invasive bass. Full medium (the bump around 1kHz is a bit tiring). Sweet but extended highs. Folds flattish. Straight cord, but 1/4" plug.
Of the three, this is the best all-rounder,(I can boost the excellent highs for fault-finding) and it is also the cheapest !

For my ears, the M40 wins hands down!.

Sep 14, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #15 of 17
The sony is good, but can be harsh in the upper mids. I preferred the Equation RP21....more balanced, and about the same price AFAIK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back