SONY IER-Z1R
Mar 11, 2019 at 4:17 AM Post #1,471 of 15,274
Tried it with iPhone and dongle, don’t like it as the sound kinda off. Ppl said I need better source blablabla.

Tried it again with SP1000m, exact impression but improved slightly in SQ. Initial issue remain on sound tonality.

In my opinion, if IEM (meant for portable use) cant be driven optimumly out of portable device ie phones, it’s designed poorly.

I have a chance to demo sony z1r pair with Wm1z from my friend. And i admit that sony z1r is my type of loving sound (big soundstage, big but control and fast bass). i'm having UM Merlin Ver 1 and i want the Z1r to be my update so badly.
From my taste it sounds good and suit me, but maybe it's not for some treble head or Mid head,, i think they see that Z1r lack of them (Energy and sparky treble, Sweet/thick mid) it's treble&mid is neatral/balance for me. I can listen with high volume from Z1r and 1Z without any fatigue.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 4:29 AM Post #1,473 of 15,274
Preach it, brother. Too much of these people on headfi who only listen to cartoon music. I used to be like that until I discovered what true masculinity entailed. Switched over to real music for real men. On days where I feel bad about my past musical preferences, I immediately switch it up to some Jonas Brothers to feel like a man. Makes me feel a bit better.
We need some photos of the Z1R paired with some guns.

Mar 11, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #1,474 of 15,274
Please refrain from insulting jmills, he is a manly man unlike you both that only listens to cartoon music. I'm laughing at you two with my attained masculinity over here
I love Pet Shop Boys, Marc Almond, George Michael and all pure gay.

Mar 11, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #1,475 of 15,274
Tried it with iPhone and dongle, don’t like it as the sound kinda off. Ppl said I need better source blablabla.

Tried it again with SP1000m, exact impression but improved slightly in SQ. Initial issue remain on sound tonality.

In my opinion, if IEM (meant for portable use) cant be driven optimumly out of portable device ie phones, it’s designed poorly.

I would say the IER-Z1R does get driven optimally from the 1A and 1Z. That is if you consider some of the best portable sound you have ever heard......optimal. But...........I simply love the sound signature, which is why I still liked it from the dongle. Personally maybe my opinions don't really matter here? I'm into Sony, maybe I don't have an objective viewpoint? Still I base my judgment on all my years of audio. I wanted an IEM which sounds like the IER-Z1R. It was made to work with the Sony players. If it works with other stuff great. But I'm pretty sure it was designed to create optimal sound with the Signature Series; which it does in flying colors. If you can't get your head around those facts, well...........maybe it's not for you. The market is flooded with extremely easy to drive IEMs. Enjoy! Simply look elsewhere.

Part of folks confusion is there are many desired sound signatures. If someone is missing how under-powered stuff sounds, then they could get confused thinking something is under-powered, when in reality the IER-Z1R is not their desired sound. Best way to discover this is over-kill, just plug them into the most powerful, most clear source you can find. Then you may know. The Asia sound is really more lively in the mid-treble area. The Sony House Sound is not an Asian sound. Try listening to other IEMs and discover your sound. Everyone owes it to themselves to learn.

1) What under-powered really sounds like.
2) What correct IEM fit is.
3) What sound they are after in the end.

Mar 11, 2019 at 5:50 AM Post #1,476 of 15,274
Just redemoed it for the sixth time.
20190311_172745.jpg

Mar 11, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #1,478 of 15,274
Mar 11, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #1,480 of 15,274
It's because of Cayin N8.
Ha, I used the Lotoo Touch, Hugo 2 , DX200 Amp 4 , AK380CU aswell. The N8 is a great dap.

Mar 11, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #1,481 of 15,274
Mar 11, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #1,483 of 15,274
Mar 11, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #1,484 of 15,274
I looked at Crinacle's graphs last year (product demo) and this year (after product release). They looked identical with no changes. This is what someone posted on reddit:

"The people on Head-Fi can't read between the lines and are overly trusting of manufacturers. When an industry rep at a trade show gives you an answer to a sensitive question like the release date of a product, its always phrased in such a way so you stop asking questions.

The idiot of Head-Fi that said Sony was going to re-tune the IER-Z1R is one of those people. He was probably told that Sony was still working on improving the sound quality of this product and therefore couldn't provide a release date. Instead of having social skills and being able to read the air, he took that response at face value and concluded that they actually re-tuning the product.

Addicted to Audio, an Australian retailer, said much later that the delays were a result of production issues related to the zirconium shells. That's an answer that makes sense and that's not an answer Sony was going to provide at a trade show."

It seems like there wasn't a product retune. This is good news for those who were afraid Sony will pull a tia fourte and make the final version worse. This is good news!

Mar 11, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #1,485 of 15,274
I looked at Crinacle's graphs last year (product demo) and this year (after product release). They looked identical with no changes. This is what someone posted on reddit:

"The people on Head-Fi can't read between the lines and are overly trusting of manufacturers. When an industry rep at a trade show gives you an answer to a sensitive question like the release date of a product, its always phrased in such a way so you stop asking questions.

The idiot of Head-Fi that said Sony was going to re-tune the IER-Z1R is one of those people. He was probably told that Sony was still working on improving the sound quality of this product and therefore couldn't provide a release date. Instead of having social skills and being able to read the air, he took that response at face value and concluded that they actually re-tuning the product.

Addicted to Audio, an Australian retailer, said much later that the delays were a result of production issues related to the zirconium shells. That's an answer that makes sense and that's not an answer Sony was going to provide at a trade show."

It seems like there wasn't a product retune. This is good news for those who were afraid Sony will pull a tia fourte and make the final version worse. This is good news!
You saying you heard the earlier units snd liked it snd was hoping the newest units kept the exact sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back