SONY IER-Z1R
Mar 11, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #1,441 of 15,319
to the ones that already own the z1r, what do you guys think about isolation? being a dynamic driver iem, can you travel with these iems? IE , Flight and Busses

The isolation is not great, but I do wear them on the subway and when I'm walking.

Mar 11, 2019 at 1:19 AM Post #1,442 of 15,319
The more I hang around audiophile forums the more I believe "not enough power" is just a thing people say when they can't find the proper words to describe why they don't like the sound and must attribute it to some external cause.

Over the weekend I attended a talk session at Sony Ginza store featuring the engineers of the IER-Z1R, I tried the Z1R out of my 1Z and I didn't need more than 65 clicks on low gain balance. Some other attendees asked the acoustic engineer Kuwahara-san regarding the same impressions that the Z1R is difficult to drive and/or the 1Z is insufficient and he said the WM1Z was used extensively as a reference Sony player when tuning the IER-Z1R, and the other player he used was the PCM-D100 DSD capable voice recorder which has a reputation for having great sound but if you check the specs the headphone output of that unit is a measly 25mW SE output. So maybe you just don't like what sound signature they are going for but there's pretty much no way that a 1A or 1Z would be under-powered within the vision of the engineers.
Maybe in your case with your cartoon music which focuses mainly in treble that power is enough. Listening to all the other styles the World has to offer more power is needed. Are you using this exact volume on a public train or bus ? Thank you for taking time from your busy hectic life to reply and letting us know about your audio get together.

Mar 11, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #1,443 of 15,319
Maybe in your case with your cartoon music which focuses mainly in treble that power is enough. Listening to all the other styles the World has to offer more power is needed. Are you using this exact volume on a public train or bus ? Thank you for taking time from your busy hectic life to reply and letting us know about your audio get together.

Its called hentai, and its art...

Mar 11, 2019 at 1:23 AM Post #1,444 of 15,319

So are you implying that the actual audio engineer of the Z1R don't listen to anything but cartoon music? :ksc75smile:

Mar 11, 2019 at 1:24 AM Post #1,445 of 15,319
Mar 11, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #1,446 of 15,319
Mar 11, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #1,447 of 15,319
Saying you do.

I was listening to a Zelda orchestral piece performed by the Tokyo Symphony Orchestra and the Z1R renders it nicely via the 1Z. Doesn't need more power. In fact when I swap to the DMP-Z1 the extra power while pushing the bass forward making it a bit more instantly exciting and impressionable, but the overall tonal balance was ruined.

More power isn't always better, never has been.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #1,448 of 15,319
The IER-Z1R has a sensitivity of 103dB/mW at 1khz. Unless it’s got a completely wack sensitivity curve, which is a bit doubtful because the IER-M7 and M9 are both very stable for multi driver IEMs, it’s going to play out of just about anything with decent authority.

It’s not like it’s especially high impedance and therefore is really voltage restricted in the same way classic Sennheiser full sized headphones are. I guarantee that there’s more audiable differences in seal quality (these are both heavy and huge, I suspect some people are just getting a poor seal) and listening volume than whatever differences people are hearing from DAPs.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 1:48 AM Post #1,451 of 15,319
Saying you do.
I was listening to a Zelda orchestral piece performed by the Tokyo Symphony Orchestra and the Z1R renders it nicely via the 1Z. Doesn't need more power. In fact when I swap to the DMP-Z1 the extra power while pushing the bass forward more the overall tonal balance was ruined.

More power isn't always better, never has been.
Im not disagreeing with what you cane up with. But for me ots not totally correct.
Both WM1Z/A have more than sufficient power for items.
Applauding enough for "iems".

Mar 11, 2019 at 1:53 AM Post #1,452 of 15,319

It doesn't mainly focus in treble tho.

Mar 11, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #1,453 of 15,319

Preach it, brother. Too much of these people on headfi who only listen to cartoon music. I used to be like that until I discovered what true masculinity entailed. Switched over to real music for real men. On days where I feel bad about my past musical preferences, I immediately switch it up to some Jonas Brothers to feel like a man. Makes me feel a bit better.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Mar 11, 2019 at 2:00 AM Post #1,454 of 15,319
To be fair if you're not listening to the Z1R through your own power plant, you're not experiencing the best of the 3019 sound that the Z1R has to offer.

Though as a fellow flat earther,

I must know what "all the other styles the World [sic] has to offer are". I was aware that metal typically requires about 1 W to power, but to be fair, lately, I've found that other types of World music like jazz might actually be more resistive and hence the power required for this genre is closer to 2W.

Please inform me of your findings as well.

Thank you brother.

Mar 11, 2019 at 2:07 AM Post #1,455 of 15,319
Preach it, brother. Too much of these people on headfi who only listen to cartoon music. I used to be like that until I discovered what true masculinity entailed. Switched over to real music for real men. On days where I feel bad about my past musical preferences, I immediately switch it up to some Jonas Brothers to feel like a man. Makes me feel a bit better.
FB_IMG_1552233271949-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back