QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Oct 11, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #1,231 of 2,715
Originally was going to write a VX review, but honestly I don’t think I care enough to do that… and don’t get me wrong I love to shill VX…

I used to own the previous qdc flagship (gemini) before, and I got my VX a few months after its release (that's before all the headfi reviewers got their VX btw). And I like to think I have a very real expectation of VX, being very familiar with the qdc lineup.

I have heard plenty of criticism of VX after its release. Be it on headfi or discord, and I do agree with a lot of them, but I have also defend VX when it comes to criticisms that I don’t agree with on this very thread. So take my one man’s opinion as you will...

I’m about to tell you why the qdc VX is the worst kilobucks totl multi BA IEM.

I like my VX but I like it as what it is, a ruler, an IEM to measure all other TOTL IEMs. That’s not to say the VX is the gold standard for kilobucks IEMs, on the contrary, I think VX is the worst of the bunch.

VX as a reference monitor?
This is what I think VX is, a neutral IEM as a reference to other totl IEMs, but the problem there is that it's not really neutral, the lower and higher frequency are still boosted. PP8 does a way better job as a neutral reference monitor as well as qdc’s own 4SS being ⅓ othe price.

‘VX have great resolution’
I am not going to say VX don’t have top tier resolution and detail, but to put it plainly ‘VX is HDR’ (thanks huat). VX is one of the most detailed multi BA iem on the market today, but the problem is that it’s hyper detailed or it has fake resolution from a boosted treble. To compare VX to a truly detailed IEM like the KSE1200, it's easy to understand why some of the perceived resolution of VX is not really there(u18t suffer from the same problem btw).

‘VX is an all rounder’
Yes and no. I do think VX is jack of trades, and master of none. But to have VX as an only IEM it's honestly not the best option out there. The idea of all rounder (at least to me) is to be able to enjoy multiple genres with just 1 IEM. But the problem is that, VX is boring, I much rather have a smooth yet detailed and warm IEM like VE8, or a colorful and soulful IEM like Flamenco. I like my VX better than my Z1R, but if I’m forced to sell one of them or quit the hobby, VX will have to go 1st.

‘qdc is just a phase’
I like to keep track of qdc flagship owners somewhat (no creepy stalking there). And most of the qdc owners in SG have sold the gemini and VX. Why is that? Well, the VX is here to find what you value in an IEM, and it’s to find that what you like about VX and move on to something better. You enjoy the reference aspect of VX? Get PP8. You like a true all rounder and easy listening? Get VE8. You want a more colored IEM w/o sacrifice on the detail? Get Flamenco. Detail if your top priority? Get KSE1200

So what is VX to me really? Well it’s what it should be, a ruler, a pretty OK ruler. I enjoy taking my weeboo trips to Japan and demo IEMs at e-e. And I constantly compare them against VX, because I am very familiar with VX. It’s my hobby to test gear, but I mostly do it for myself. And that’s what VX is, a piece of equipment to test what you really like to have. If I have the ability to own Flamenco, VE8, Z1R, KSE1200, and Dita Dream, I would not be a VX owner.

Is it really shittin’ on VX when it can compare so well against all other kilobucks IEM? But VX does have a lot of flaws, while being flawless(don't read too much into that)... VX is a VE8 w/o the warmth, and Flamenco w/o a soul, a KSE1200 with fake detail, and z1r w/o DD bass, and a U12T w/o being bad (kek), and that's that.

Disclaimer: The purpose of me writing this is not **** on VX, this to get people to demo more IEMs. Please don't take my word as gospel (but you really should when it comes to qdc). Just try more IEMs, and that’s what this hobby is about at the end of the day. We enjoy the music we listen to, and we enjoy the gear that make our music better. K thx bye

brought to you by Rush, the ONE true shill of VX

Oct 11, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #1,234 of 2,715
Originally was going to write a VX review, but honestly I don’t think I care enough to do that… and don’t get me wrong I love to shill VX…

I used to own the previous qdc flagship (gemini) before, and I got my VX a few months after its release (that's before all the headfi reviewers got their VX btw). And I like to think I have a very real expectation of VX, being very familiar with the qdc lineup.

I have heard plenty of criticism of VX after its release. Be it on headfi or discord, and I do agree with a lot of them, but I have also defend VX when it comes to criticisms that I don’t agree with on this very thread. So take my one man’s opinion as you will...

I’m about to tell you why the qdc VX is the worst kilobucks totl multi BA IEM.

I like my VX but I like it as what it is, a ruler, an IEM to measure all other TOTL IEMs. That’s not to say the VX is the gold standard for kilobucks IEMs, on the contrary, I think VX is the worst of the bunch.

VX as a reference monitor?
This is what I think VX is, a neutral IEM as a reference to other totl IEMs, but the problem there is that it's not really neutral, the lower and higher frequency are still boosted. PP8 does a way better job as a neutral reference monitor as well as qdc’s own 4SS being ⅓ othe price.

‘VX have great resolution’
I am not going to say VX don’t have top tier resolution and detail, but to put it plainly ‘VX is HDR’ (thanks huat). VX is one of the most detailed multi BA iem on the market today, but the problem is that it’s hyper detailed or it has fake resolution from a boosted treble. To compare VX to a truly detailed IEM like the KSE1200, it's easy to understand why some of the perceived resolution of VX is not really there(u18t suffer from the same problem btw).

‘VX is an all rounder’
Yes and no. I do think VX is jack of trades, and master of none. But to have VX as an only IEM it's honestly not the best option out there. The idea of all rounder (at least to me) is to be able to enjoy multiple genres with just 1 IEM. But the problem is that, VX is boring, I much rather have a smooth yet detailed and warm IEM like VE8, or a colorful and soulful IEM like Flamenco. I like my VX better than my Z1R, but if I’m forced to sell one of them or quit the hobby, VX will have to go 1st.

‘qdc is just a phase’
I like to keep track of qdc flagship owners somewhat (no creepy stalking there). And most of the qdc owners in SG have sold the gemini and VX. Why is that? Well, the VX is here to find what you value in an IEM, and it’s to find that what you like about VX and move on to something better. You enjoy the reference aspect of VX? Get PP8. You like a true all rounder and easy listening? Get VE8. You want a more colored IEM w/o sacrifice on the detail? Get Flamenco. Detail if your top priority? Get KSE1200

So what is VX to me really? Well it’s what it should be, a ruler, a pretty OK ruler. I enjoy taking my weeboo trips to Japan and demo IEMs at e-e. And I constantly compare them against VX, because I am very familiar with VX. It’s my hobby to test gear, but I mostly do it for myself. And that’s what VX is, a piece of equipment to test what you really like to have. If I have the ability to own Flamenco, VE8, Z1R, KSE1200, and Dita Dream, I would not be a VX owner.

Is it really ****tin’ on VX when it can compare so well against all other kilobucks IEM? But VX does have a lot of flaws, while being flawless(don't read too much into that)... VX is a VE8 w/o the warmth, and Flamenco w/o a soul, a KSE1200 with fake detail, and z1r w/o DD bass, and a U12T w/o being bad (kek), and that's that.

Disclaimer: The purpose of me writing this is not ****ting on VX, this to get people to demo more IEMs. Please don't take my word as gospel (but you really should when it comes to qdc). Just try more IEMs, and that’s what this hobby is about at the end of the day. We enjoy the music we listen to, and we enjoy the gear that make our music better. K thx bye

brought to you by Rush, the ONE true shill of VX
he! he! he! This still looks to me a hell of a love letter, not? :kissing_heart:

Oct 11, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #1,236 of 2,715
But the problem is that, VX is boring

Actually imho it's the exact opposite of boring...and that's just what I love about it. I'm not interested in demoing more IEMs...I've spent the better part of a year searching, I've heard many of the TOTLs out there and the VX is the only one that doesn't leave me wanting just a little bit more. Yes it's a "jack of all trades master of none" but this quality is exactly what characterizes a great all rounder for a person (like myself) who is really only interested in having one IEM at a time. I will eventually search for something else, but for the time being I'm quite content. (And yes, the VE8 is the first thing on my list to consider if I ever go custom).

Oct 11, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #1,237 of 2,715
he! he! he! This still looks to me a hell of a love letter, not? :kissing_heart:

Never say I don't like VX, and most of the IEMs I compare it to are in the same price range. It's not as bad as some of the haters make it out to be, but its also not as good as some us in this thread think it is. Just a bit tired of the VX jerking lately so I have to say my piece.

Hmmm. Looks like someone hacked into Mr.Rush's Head-fi account..

wink wink

Actually imho it's the exact opposite of boring...and that's just what I love about it. I'm not interested in demoing more IEMs...I've spent the better part of a year searching, I've heard many of the TOTLs out there and the VX is the only one that doesn't leave me wanting just a little bit more. Yes it's a "jack of all trades master of none" but this quality is exactly what characterizes a great all rounder for a person (like myself) who is really only interested in having one IEM at a time. I will eventually search for something else, but for the time being I'm quite content. (And yes, the VE8 is the first thing on my list to consider if I ever go custom).

How long did you spend with the Z1R before you went back to Solaris? and then how long it took you to buy VX when you got to demo them? Once the novelty wears off you will want to try something else, or something better. There might be nothing on the market you want to try atm, but what if qdc release a new flagship that's VX but better? 8SL to Gemini to VX, they did it twice, releasing a flagship that's just a bit better than the previous.

Oct 12, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #1,238 of 2,715
Some time ago asked in this tread regarding Anole vs Solaris comparison, especially what is different in bass department. Well, had a chance to have a thorough audition with direct comparison. Both iems were driven by SP1000M, had custom tips on them. Solaris came on Alo ref 8 cable (balanced), Anole – some qdc non-stock cable (balanced via Fiio adapter).

1st Round – Anoles. Produced moderate mid-bass with emphasized subbass section. On some tracks I noticed subbass to be even excessive and I wished little more pronounced midbass (but only a little).

2nd round – Solaris. Subbass quantity is much lower (which is good, but made the picture less weighty and not so massive), mid bass remained more or less on the same level. What struck me by surprise - compared to Anoles much harsher and rougher highs, with even sibilants present on several track with female vocals. Was totally frustrated by this.

3rd round – came back to Anoles. What a splendid and elegant highs! Not even a hint on sibilants. Level of details is outstanding, sound sig in general is very pleasant and coherent.

What happened with Solaris this time – really don’t have a slightest idea. Couldn’t even imagine, that 3000$ setup might sound so harsh and even sibilant.

Anole VX impressed more, but, as said, I wished a little bit more midbass and sometims not so much subbass. Maybe it is peculiarity of current setup (Ultima M with qdc non-stock cable).

For personal use I would combine Anole and n6ii (A01) with stock cable, I am curious what impression would be then - in bass section and in highs.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #1,239 of 2,715
How long did you spend with the Z1R before you went back to Solaris? and then how long it took you to buy VX when you got to demo them? Once the novelty wears off you will want to try something else, or something better. There might be nothing on the market you want to try atm, but what if qdc release a new flagship that's VX but better? 8SL to Gemini to VX, they did it twice, releasing a flagship that's just a bit better than the previous.

I spent about 100 hours with Z1R over two weeks before going back to Solaris. It wasn't a case of "novelty wearing off" so much as that I ended up preferring the Solaris sound to that of the Z1R (better mids, more coherent) and in addition the fit was a lot better. With VX it was similar-- I was wowed by my initial demo but after spending a couple weeks with it I still preferred its sound to Solaris, so I kept it. I have no doubt there will eventually be something on the market that piques my curiosity (unless I ignore the market for a while...which might not be a bad idea)...but for the time being I'm content with what I have and feel no urge to search out new gear. The biggest step I could take at this point would be to move to customs...but I'm not there yet.

For personal use I would combine Anole and n6ii (A01) with stock cable, I am curious what impression would be then - in bass section and in highs.

Personally I love that combo-- the n6ii adds a little mid-bass emphasis which to my ears works very well with the VX (though I know some disagree). I hope you get to try it out.

Oct 12, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #1,240 of 2,715
Got a chance to hear the VX for a moment. Literally all of about 2 minutes. But it was enough as I was using a DAP and music that I knew. The sound was as expected and I think I hear a qdc house sound after hearing a portion of the line-up and owning the Anole V3?

If anything I may have been expecting a slight greater treble emphasis than I heard. It seemed the other upper qdc line had more treble emphasized? Not that any of that was a bad thing. It was just middle of the road warmth yet totally flat with a subtle V tuning. I was using a Sony 1A with the qdc included stock cable in 4.4mm and firmware 3.01 direct.

The soundstage was nice thick front to back with clear imaging. Maybe slight warmth in the mids with still reaching for all the detail. There is a part of a test song I use that is always borderline sibilant in the recording and the VX showed it for what it was, but didn’t over emphasis it or hide it. The low end as well as the overall integration was of a character that reminded me of my Anole V3, but of course technically superior and advanced. It was my little V3 but with all the added midrange, treble detail sparkles and soundstage added. The bass was great, but I’m a fan of BA bass and what qdc does to make it their own. I had no notice of any mid emphasis, which I seem to take note (almost an offense too) right away? If anything the midrange just comes off natural and gets it’s excitement with both imaging and detail?

The VX flagship has a completeness about it. Kind of doing everything with no big outstanding strange or charismatic character trait. Mixed with the detail this ends up maybe a good thing as I felt there was a bunch of entertainment purely translated across with the IEM getting out of the way. Though I guess even with the reserved politeness......... the VX showed to be forgiving and detailed but not a detail monster......or not something providing a boatload of detail due to an over excited treble? It was just right. There was a slight nice laidback easygoing and listenable quality that both my Noble Encore or IER-Z1R don’t offer. I guess it’s nice to find that the flagship excels over the whole down line with technical prowess yet still holds the company house sound in hand? It’s like there is no big treble peak in any one area, which just ends up offering smoothness? The treble was done right.

Fit was insanely perfect, as they go right in place and feel like a million. Really good noise isolation and better than I expected in that regard.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #1,241 of 2,715
Personally I love that combo-- the n6ii adds a little mid-bass emphasis which to my ears works very well with the VX (though I know some disagree). I hope you get to try it out.

Aren't you using your vx out of the n6ii's 4.4mm out now? Any difference from the SE out? I only tested the 4.4mm out when I was in JP since i dont have a 3.5mm cable anymore. I heard the SE is less bassy on n6ii.

Oct 14, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #1,244 of 2,715
I suppose, it was already may times discussed, but nevertheless, how do 8SH/8SL compare to Anole VX? How much do they loose in terms of technicalities?

I'm not sure the what the price of qdc is like im EU, but I do think this is less of 'how much is X better than Y issue.' If you budget allows you to get a VX there no reason not to get VX, and same vise versa, if only the 8 series are within your budget, no need to force yourself to get a VX, since 8SL is still a very good IEM. Technicalities are very dificult things to quantify. Is VX better than 8SL? Yes. By how much? Er..... Enough to notice not enough for me to care...

Oct 14, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #1,245 of 2,715
Some time ago asked in this tread regarding Anole vs Solaris comparison, especially what is different in bass department. Well, had a chance to have a thorough audition with direct comparison. Both iems were driven by SP1000M, had custom tips on them. Solaris came on Alo ref 8 cable (balanced), Anole – some qdc non-stock cable (balanced via Fiio adapter).

1st Round – Anoles. Produced moderate mid-bass with emphasized subbass section. On some tracks I noticed subbass to be even excessive and I wished little more pronounced midbass (but only a little).

2nd round – Solaris. Subbass quantity is much lower (which is good, but made the picture less weighty and not so massive), mid bass remained more or less on the same level. What struck me by surprise - compared to Anoles much harsher and rougher highs, with even sibilants present on several track with female vocals. Was totally frustrated by this.

3rd round – came back to Anoles. What a splendid and elegant highs! Not even a hint on sibilants. Level of details is outstanding, sound sig in general is very pleasant and coherent.

What happened with Solaris this time – really don’t have a slightest idea. Couldn’t even imagine, that 3000$ setup might sound so harsh and even sibilant.

Anole VX impressed more, but, as said, I wished a little bit more midbass and sometims not so much subbass. Maybe it is peculiarity of current setup (Ultima M with qdc non-stock cable).

The custom VX should provide the extra bass impact you desire. After I demo’d the VX and chose it, I took the time to get the custom as I figured the bass would be a bit stronger and tighter. It was. The fit is also better for me. Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back