SONY IER-Z1R
Mar 11, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #1,501 of 15,280
I looked at Crinacle's graphs last year (product demo) and this year (after product release). They looked identical with no changes. This is what someone posted on reddit:

"The people on Head-Fi can't read between the lines and are overly trusting of manufacturers. When an industry rep at a trade show gives you an answer to a sensitive question like the release date of a product, its always phrased in such a way so you stop asking questions.

The idiot of Head-Fi that said Sony was going to re-tune the IER-Z1R is one of those people. He was probably told that Sony was still working on improving the sound quality of this product and therefore couldn't provide a release date. Instead of having social skills and being able to read the air, he took that response at face value and concluded that they actually re-tuning the product.

Addicted to Audio, an Australian retailer, said much later that the delays were a result of production issues related to the zirconium shells. That's an answer that makes sense and that's not an answer Sony was going to provide at a trade show."

It seems like there wasn't a product retune. This is good news for those who were afraid Sony will pull a tia fourte and make the final version worse. This is good news!

I think I know the "idiot" you are referring to.... lol..
That's why I refused to indulge in the rumours. Unless you in the working group, god knows what is being worked on.

Mar 11, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #1,503 of 15,280
AD698202-7DF0-467D-91AD-BA8540845392.jpeg Nobody gonna mentioned Crinacle dropped IER-Z1R a “S” rating?

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #1,505 of 15,280
Nobody gonna mentioned Crinacle dropped IER-Z1R a “S” rating?
Was just about to say that... But you beat me to it...
Still.. remember guys, this is one person's review and we have all our bias.

I mean all the past threads about shrill treble, "shouty?" mids. Just proves that we all have different preferences when it comes to sound signatures.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #1,506 of 15,280
Mar 11, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #1,510 of 15,280
Mar 11, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #1,514 of 15,280
Right.........the only contest is between yourself and what’s offered. If your happy then you won.

Still easer said than done. IMO

Mar 11, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #1,515 of 15,280
Me, as a current wm1a + ex1000 user, would be very interested in your opinion:) They do look huge I must say.

Hi ProF3T1,

Very glad you are a fellow EX1000 user (they are still a classic)... that assessment is gonna take sometime, as I have been holding back the urge to listen to the Z1R through the WM1Z balanced connection. Nonetheless, as a fellow EX1000 user, the best set up I came up with the EX1000 (and recommend you to try) is as follow WM1Z>Kimber Kable (MUC-M12SB1)>MMCX to EX1000 connector adapter>EX1000:

20190311_221014.jpg
:
The WM1Z lush sound through balanced output coupled with the Kimber Kable, does tame the "infamous" EX1000 aggressive treble nicely, without negatively affecting the transparency and imaging the EX1000 is known for,

So the driver housing radius is as big as the old Sony's, even tho the DD diameter is clearly smaller.. Hmm.. I do remember they had to fit a tube on back side of the circumference of that DD, one thing for sure, those DDs have way more volume of air to move.

I'm one of those Rares that is comfortable in wearing any "big" IEM housing tho, so I'm not really worried about fit.
I feel the XBA A3/Z5 is very comfortable. IM04, fits like a glove.
Damn this thread is packed.
I blame @Redcarmoose for this influx of traffic .
Your review is just that fun.

Hi Sp12er3,

Me too, I find the older Sony IEMs design to be more comfortable than the Z1R, except for, when I wear them while my head rest on a pillow side way during sleep/nap time. But, compared to them with the Z1R I get much better isolation.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back