SONY IER-Z1R
Dec 28, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #6,166 of 15,290
finally my days with fiddling in nailing proper seal is over

I made custom tips and what a huge upgrade in sound everything sounds amazing finally i did custom tips IMG-0869.jpg

Dec 28, 2019 at 7:27 AM Post #6,167 of 15,290
finally my days with fiddling in nailing proper seal is over

I made custom tips and what a huge upgrade in sound everything sounds amazing finally i did custom tips
How do they look inserted?

Dec 28, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #6,168 of 15,290
How do they look inserted?
they are a bit more protruded to outside but i have deep ear canals :) but the feeling is such a secure and stable fit which is an amazing feeling i never had

but what surprised me most is the mids all of sudden are more clear and not as recessed as before and the details in the highs is also more , bass as is
, it seems i never got a good seal with any tips using the sony and all this changed now. Best ever money spent

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #6,169 of 15,290
they are a bit more protruded to outside but i have deep ear canals :) but the feeling is such a secure and stable fit which is an amazing feeling i never had

but what surprised me most is the mids all of sudden are more clear and not as recessed as before and the details in the highs is also more , bass as is
, it seems i never got a good seal with any tips using the sony and all this changed now. Best ever money spent
The main reason headphones are easier. Tomorrow you might have another situation using iems.

Dec 28, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #6,170 of 15,290
The main reason headphones are easier. Tomorrow you might have another situation using iems.
as the saying goes " once you go customs you can never go back " :)

this is for you my friend @jmills8 you struggled enough , time to go customs and be done with tips and the fiddling issues , go for it

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #6,171 of 15,290
as the saying goes " once you go customs you can never go back " :)

this is for you my friend @jmills8 you struggled enough , time to go customs and be done with tips and the fiddling issues , go for it
Custom iems or DIY Tips ?

Dec 28, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #6,172 of 15,290
custom tips these work on my shure as well then i made another one with a bit bigger opening for my noble khan, never go custom iems

Dec 28, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #6,173 of 15,290
I have Custom tips and they are a close second to Custom IEM's. The problem with my Custom tips is if the IEM already protrudes like say Solaris, it sticks out that much further.

Dec 28, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #6,174 of 15,290
The tips definitely affect how recessed the mids sound. Recently I changed from LL to ML size tips on my M9 and noticed a massive improvement predominantly in the bass extension but also in the overall sound, and it fixed the vacuum effect issue with the seal. I tried the same thing on my Z1R’s and didn’t notice any difference in the bass, but it made the treble brighter and mids more recessed. Switched back to LL size and it’s back to normal.

So I suspect that people who find the mids too recessed and the treble too harsh mustn’t be getting the right seal. You really got to extensively tip roll to find the right sound with Z1R.

Dec 28, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #6,175 of 15,290
The tips definitely affect how recessed the mids sound. Recently I changed from LL to ML size tips on my M9 and noticed a massive improvement predominantly in the bass extension but also in the overall sound, and it fixed the vacuum effect issue with the seal. I tried the same thing on my Z1R’s and didn’t notice any difference in the bass, but it made the treble brighter and mids more recessed. Switched back to LL size and it’s back to normal.

So I suspect that people who find the mids too recessed and the treble too harsh mustn’t be getting the right seal. You really got to extensively tip roll to find the right sound with Z1R.
the vacuum effect was the most bothering for me with universal tips, that is totally gone now. what a relief

Dec 28, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #6,176 of 15,290
custom tips these work on my shure as well then i made another one with a bit bigger opening for my noble khan, never go custom iems
After using 20 or so ciems I found universal iems that equals or beats ciems. Obvious in 2005 ciems were way ahead but we are almost in 2020 and there are universal iems that can do more than ciems did in 2018. If one has ear canal issue then a ciem is a good choice. A better choice is headphones much less issues.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #6,177 of 15,290
the vacuum effect was the most bothering for me with universal tips, that is totally gone now. what a relief

Did you have any comfort issues before? I am less worried about seal or how far they might stick out, but if custom tips can help, I definitely want to try.

Also, did you say you made them yourself?

Dec 28, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #6,178 of 15,290
Did you have any comfort issues before? I am less worried about seal or how far they might stick out, but if custom tips can help, I definitely want to try.

Also, did you say you made them yourself?
no i did not make them myself, it has been done by a lab that fits custom hearing aids, i did not have comfort issues but i have long ear canals and with sony i did not feel i am getting perfect seal that i get with other iems with long nozzles. Shallow insertion does never work for me and sony was shallow insertion for me

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #6,180 of 15,290
Talking about Custom tips. Lucky we have local brand who dis this really great
Lol...that looks like 2 iems, piggybacking...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back