SONY IER-Z1R
Dec 28, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #6,181 of 15,290
Such a great listening experience with the IER-Z1R today. Pulled out an old 44.1-16bit metal record which came out in 1999. Never heard it before with the IER-Z1R. I will typically use either the Walkman 1Z or Walkman 1A or TA desktop. I use firmware 3.01 with the 1A for slightly more bass and 3.02 firmware with the 1Z due to the 1Z having a natural bass boost not present with the 1A.

Using the 1A was such a treat as the equipment simply fell away. I was using the stock 4.4mm cable and included L clear silicone tips. It seems the combo did a fantastic job showing the cymbals and drum work. The combination also really helped delineate the energy the band created together. The 45 minute album simply flew by as there was no sense of time only pure musical involvement.

I couldn’t help but think these are the best IEMs or headphones I’ve ever experienced.....if I did take a moment to concentrate on sound quality. I was simply surprised by the separation and timbre held by each instrument. Everything sounded real, everything was in transparent detail that it was like being one with the music. Strangely this style of experience has one thinking they would never ask for more.

It’s like at this level, all that’s needed is provided. Strange too as the 1A is almost looked at like a mid-fi source with a top price offered at $1300 and regularly found for much less. I’m sure with some music more source quality may be needed by some. But to find 1999 recorded 16-44.1 metal genre demands met well........... it is pretty much a home run with my needs and desires.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #6,182 of 15,290
Such a great listening experience with the IER-Z1R today. Pulled out an old 44.1-16bit metal record which came out in 1999. Never heard it before with the IER-Z1R. I will typically use either the Walkman 1Z or Walkman 1A or TA desktop. I use firmware 3.01 with the 1A for slightly more bass and 3.02 firmware with the 1Z due to the 1Z having a natural bass boost not present with the 1A.

Using the 1A was such a treat as the equipment simply fell away. I was using the stock 4.4mm cable and included L clear silicone tips. It seems the combo did a fantastic job showing the cymbals and drum work. The combination also really helped delineate the energy the band created together. The 45 minute album simply flew by as there was no sense of time only pure musical involvement.

I couldn’t help but think these are the best IEMs or headphones I’ve ever experienced.....if I did take a moment to concentrate on sound quality. I was simply surprised by the separation and timber held by each instrument. Everything sounded real, everything was in transparent detail that it was like being one with the music. Strangely this style of experience has one thinking they would never ask for more.

It’s like at this level, all that’s needed is provided. Strange too as the 1A is almost looked at like a mid-fi source with a top price offered at $1300 and regularly found for much less. I’m sure with some music more source quality may be needed by some. But to find 1999 recorded 16-44.1 metal genre demands met well........... it is pretty much a home run with my needs and desires.

Cheers!
Thx for reminding me it's more about the music. Although good gear helps...

Dec 28, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #6,183 of 15,290
Dec 28, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #6,184 of 15,290
Thx for reminding me it's more about the music. Although good gear helps...

It was just one of those moments when the gear wasn’t there. We do, we find ourselves always taking stuff apart, somehow hearing imperfections. But when an album that you were not expecting much from ends up “real” .......I guess it’s an accomplishment? Good gear helps, but what I saying is it was with Sony’s mid-fi Walkman? I can’t help but think that in these situations.....it’s the IEMs?

Dec 28, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #6,185 of 15,290
WM1A is built uniquely on it own, and Wm1Z is only taking it a little more exotic. I still have not seen any other DAP or DAC to even have their own Digital Interface chip like WM1A. Most of them are using Xmos. The Lotoo Paw Gold Touch does use Blackchip though....but still don’t qualify for it to be “using their own Digital interface”.

‘Let alone many DAP are using custom Android OS....unlike Walkman OS

A lot of PML film capacitors to keep the Piezoelectric to the minimum

S-Master Converter

Only thing is it output, which I can’t use HD800S to satisfaction :frowning2: so sad....

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #6,186 of 15,290
WM1A is built uniquely on it own, and Wm1Z is only taking it a little more exotic. I still have not seen any other DAP or DAC to even have their own Digital Interface chip like WM1A. Most of them are using Xmos. The Lotoo Paw Gold Touch does use Blackchip though....but still don’t qualify for it to be “using their own Digital interface”.

‘Let alone many DAP are using custom Android OS....unlike Walkman OS

A lot of PML film capacitors to keep the Piezoelectric to the minimum

S-Master Converter

Only thing is it output, which I can’t use HD800S to satisfaction :frowning2: so sad....

Using different gear, and mainly using Generation 6 32GB IPod Touch players outside; I will become startled by how warm the 1A is. When in comparison to the TA or Sony 1Z....it’s not at all. But......then your reminded how it actually is a fairly warm sided DAP. Today I’m pretty sure was a phenomenon due to simply how the drums were recorded.

Every once in a while you realize how well the IER-Z1R does drums. I’m not sure how much this gets focused on here? But I’m pretty sure the IER-Z1R is unique in drum sound replay. Just the prat they do combined with the unique treble (high-hat) response we get from the DD tweeter? The separation and the way the IER-Z1R does fast and articulate lows. They may be all about correct sounding drums, especially if the drums were recorded well to begin with?

Dec 28, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #6,187 of 15,290
Dec 28, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #6,188 of 15,290
55F3FF51-030E-422E-8396-9065CA0887D5.png
The IEM Centipede.

Frog Kama Sutra

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #6,190 of 15,290
Boy, the IER sure scales well. With the XI Audio Broadway, the sound starts to knock on my TOTL headphones... sheesh...

The violin that she is playing on is considered to be the best in the world: The Vieuxtemps Guarneri, estimated value at around $16 million.

20191228_130408.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #6,191 of 15,290
It was just one of those moments when the gear wasn’t there. We do, we find ourselves always taking stuff apart, somehow hearing imperfections. But when an album that you were not expecting much from ends up “real” .......I guess it’s an accomplishment? Good gear helps, but what I saying is it was with Sony’s mid-fi Walkman? I can’t help but think that in these situations.....it’s the IEMs?

I spent some time in the Solaris thread (shilling for Sony, of course, hehe) and that's also how I described my experience with the Z1R: it gets out of the way and all I'm left with is the music.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #6,192 of 15,290
Boy, the IER sure scales well. With the XI Audio Broadway, the sound starts to knock on my TOTL headphones... sheesh...

The violin that she is playing on is considered to be the best in the world: The Vieuxtemps Guarneri, estimated value at around $16 million.

Just wait till you try it with a bit more juice, you'll be amazed at what it can do.

Dec 28, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #6,195 of 15,290
800mW@16 ohms isn't a lot. Mine does 5000mW@16 ohms

edit: that appears to be the S version, 1500mW@32 ohms for non S. That does certainly seem like plenty. Z1R is 40 ohm/103dB/mW
Of course an amp dedicated to full sized can do more. But an IEM that needs more than 1.5W doesn't exist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back