SONY IER-Z1R
Dec 27, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #6,151 of 15,172
I'm currently pairing the IER-Z1R with the RME ADI-2 DAC through the headphone port ( via a 6.5mm->3.5mm adapter) instead of the quiet IEM port. Everything sounds so grand when you use more juice for these and I've been fantasizing about trying out the WM1Z with these IEMs. However, I've read some things about the IER-Z1R not being driven to its fullest potential as the WM1Z doesn't have the power headroom a decent dedicated desktop amp would have. Still, the supposed awesome sonic qualities alone on the WM1Z seem to make this an ideal pairing (they're both a part of the Sony Signature series), and I'm wondering if anyone here has had the experience of using both and what they preferred.

Dec 27, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #6,152 of 15,172
I'm currently pairing the IER-Z1R with the RME ADI-2 DAC through the headphone port ( via a 6.5mm->3.5mm adapter) instead of the quiet IEM port. Everything sounds so grand when you use more juice for these and I've been fantasizing about trying out the WM1Z with these IEMs. However, I've read some things about the IER-Z1R not being driven to its fullest potential as the WM1Z doesn't have the power headroom a decent dedicated desktop amp would have. Still, the supposed awesome sonic qualities alone on the WM1Z seem to make this an ideal pairing (they're both a part of the Sony Signature series), and I'm wondering if anyone here has had the experience of using both and what they preferred.
I think I read somewhere that the minimum power requirement beyond which no further improvements were measured for the IER-Z1R was around 1,200 mW. That's quite a lot, but luckily there are a few portable options with this amount of power nowadays.

Dec 27, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #6,154 of 15,172
I think I read somewhere that the minimum power requirement beyond which no further improvements were measured for the IER-Z1R was around 1,200 mW. That's quite a lot, but luckily there are a few portable options with this amount of power nowadays.

What's the SPL at that level?

Dec 27, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #6,156 of 15,172
I am happy to hear this as I own the RME. I have tried the Z1R with the WM1Z and was NOT convinced at all. Thin thin minds, even in balanced. I think RME or my Aroma amp would be better. Will tell you if I can compare.

Dec 27, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #6,157 of 15,172
I use the IERs with my XI Audio Broadway amp which is 1500 mW. Was listening at work; tough to do any work; sound was subjectively holographic. Had to bring it home; will replace with a portable amp.

Dec 28, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #6,160 of 15,172
I am happy to hear this as I own the RME. I have tried the Z1R with the WM1Z and was NOT convinced at all. Thin thin minds, even in balanced. I think RME or my Aroma amp would be better. Will tell you if I can compare.
If its a WM1Z demo on stores its probably on an outdated firmware, Sony's been optimizing the tuning of WM1A and 1Z to fit their Z1Rs tuning more and more

Dec 28, 2019 at 2:56 AM Post #6,162 of 15,172
Dec 28, 2019 at 5:21 AM Post #6,165 of 15,172
I find the 1Z and Z1R to be a fantastic combination and don’t at all get this about recessed mids or poorly driven

Users who are viewing this thread

Back