Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Jul 22, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #4,501 of 4,748
I mean the mmcx adapters themselves sit flush. It's the sony cables that wont sit flush.

The red and grey parts will still be showing when connected due to it having different circumference sizes than the silver housing it's in, and the mmcx adapter it will be connected to. It's abit different to typical mmcx jacks as it's specifically designed to sit flush in the sony xba/ier bodies which have a recessed part for those cables. I tried it before and it somehow doesn't look good to me even though it works.

Well you might have figured out now, Sony has always designed stuff that works best only in their ecosystem
I am not sure about Z1R cable. My comment is on the MMCX adapter. Cheers

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #4,502 of 4,748
After many attempts, I failed to remove/replace left side with MMCX adapter for EX1000, too bad will use stocked cable 3.5mm. Nevertheless, my EX800ST is fitted with MMCX adapter.

20200724_185918.jpg

Any recommend safe 3.5mm female to 4.4mm male adapter for Sony WM1Z player using stocked 3.5mm cable ?

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #4,503 of 4,748
Will balanced cable bring EX1K to another level ? More dynamic ?

I can't upgrade my stocked 3.5mm cable, any recommended single to balanced 4.4mm adaptor?

No you have to physically reterminate the jack end. Stock cables are all 4 wire thru so they can be reterminated, but you can't get balanced signal from a shared ground 3.5 connector

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #4,504 of 4,748

I can't upgrade my stocked 3.5mm cable, any recommended single to balanced 4.4mm adaptor?

It probably depends more on your dap/dac than the cable itself. I used a 4.4mm kimber cable and an ALO super litz for a little while and they both sounded great, but ultimately I couldn’t get a comfortable fit with either of them, so now I’m back using the stock cable.

Currently waiting on a 2-pin to EKX adaptor that I bought from Linsoul to try some more cables, but if I still can’t get a decent fit I think I’ll just get the stock cable reterminated.

Jul 27, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #4,505 of 4,748
Currently waiting on a 2-pin to EKX adaptor that I bought from Linsoul to try some more cables, but if I still can’t get a decent fit I think I’ll just get the stock cable reterminated.

Thanks for your suggestion, I do have EKX to MMCX adaptor for my EX800ST, as for my EX1000, I can't manage to unscrew the left side even by plier, so unable to change the adaptor. And i do not have skill to reterminate the stocked cable, at first I thought the stocked cable is balanced ready, just to search single ended to pentaconn adaptor will be fine.

Jul 28, 2020 at 4:19 AM Post #4,506 of 4,748
Thanks for your suggestion, I do have EKX to MMCX adaptor for my EX800ST, as for my EX1000, I can't manage to unscrew the left side even by plier, so unable to change the adaptor. And i do not have skill to reterminate the stocked cable, at first I thought the stocked cable is balanced ready, just to search single ended to pentaconn adaptor will be fine.

Damn, that's annoying. Could maybe send the IEMs to somewhere that does reterminations? I was looking at sending my cable to Music Sanctuary in Singapore. $30 SGD plus postage https://music-sanctuary.com/collections/services/products/cable-retermination-service

Jul 28, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #4,507 of 4,748
Damn, that's annoying. Could maybe send the IEMs to somewhere that does reterminations? I was looking at sending my cable to Music Sanctuary in Singapore. $30 SGD plus postage https://music-sanctuary.com/collections/services/products/cable-retermination-service
No worries bro and thanks for the link. I read previous posts and quite a few agrees with good sound from stocked cable, I will bear with this single ended cable and bless I do not risk myself to damage the fragile, soon to brittle plastic thread.

Jul 28, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #4,509 of 4,748
No problems man :) How are you finding the sound of the ex1k?

Compare to EX800ST, my initial impression on EX1k, it produces a wider soundstage/imaging, treble extension and bass is as good as EX800ST. My used EX1k received last two week is without foam filter, as of now, I have not discovered treble peak issue, or could be music source/genres. ?

I am not good in describing sound, just enjoy each of IEM's uniqueness as many factors affecting their sound.

What about your impression of EX1k vs IER-M9 ? Initially I have ordered M9, due to late delivery, i cancelled the order and bought this used EX1k. And since I have CA Andros , multi-BA which is similar as IER-M9, so I opt for EX1k first.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #4,510 of 4,748

There's no straightforward answer to this as there are alot of variables involved,like circuit design and choice of songs used. I developed that thought as well after scouring thru headfi with so many people saying that it does make a "night and day difference". YMMV as usual but in my experience, I didn't detect any discernible difference. Of course my ears aren't the AP555X and even if there are differences in numbers, it didn't translate to anything substantial enough to ring any alarm bells. I compared the 2.5mm and 3.5mm connections on the Earstudio ES100 on usb dac mode and LDAC connection with my custom kimber kables reterminated to the faux-awesome modular plug on the bottom end and ex1000 connectors on the top end.

As mentioned earlier, with circuit design being a variable, it may be that the design of the es100 is properly implemented for both outputs with minimal compromises, compared to sony walkman daps where alot of users mentioned a difference between both outputs. Hence,my subjectively inconclusive answer.

Jul 28, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #4,511 of 4,748
There's no straightforward answer to this as there are alot of variables involved,like circuit design and choice of songs used. I developed that thought as well after scouring thru headfi with so many people saying that it does make a "night and day difference". YMMV as usual but in my experience, I didn't detect any discernible difference. Of course my ears aren't the AP555X and even if there are differences in numbers, it didn't translate to anything substantial enough to ring any alarm bells. I compared the 2.5mm and 3.5mm connections on the Earstudio ES100 on usb dac mode and LDAC connection with my custom kimber kables reterminated to the faux-awesome modular plug on the bottom end and ex1000 connectors on the top end.

As mentioned earlier, with circuit design being a variable, it may be that the design of the es100 is properly implemented for both outputs with minimal compromises, compared to sony walkman daps where alot of users mentioned a difference between both outputs. Hence,my subjectively inconclusive answer.
True enough, volume match between balanced and single ended is one of the variables too. Thanks for the answer.

Jul 28, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #4,512 of 4,748
Compare to EX800ST, my initial impression on EX1k, it produces a wider soundstage/imaging, treble extension and bass is as good as EX800ST. My used EX1k received last two week is without foam filter, as of now, I have not discovered treble peak issue, or could be music source/genres. ?

I am not good in describing sound, just enjoy each of IEM's uniqueness as many factors affecting their sound.

What about your impression of EX1k vs IER-M9 ? Initially I have ordered M9, due to late delivery, i cancelled the order and bought this used EX1k. And since I have CA Andros , multi-BA which is similar as IER-M9, so I opt for EX1k first.

If I had to choose one, it would probably be the M9 just because it’s tuning suits the majority of my music library a little better. But, for the genres that EX1K excels at like acoustic or basically anything instrumental, it’s still one of the best I’ve heard :) so I guess it depends on what music you’re into. The majority of my listening is electronic music which doesn’t really bring out the best in the EX1K, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #4,513 of 4,748
The majority of my listening is electronic music which doesn’t really bring out the best in the EX1K, unfortunately.

This is so true. I also mostly listen to trance / house / electronic music and the EX1K definitely struggles with most tracks.. The main problem being lack of mid bass..

Jul 29, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #4,514 of 4,748
This is so true. I also mostly listen to trance / house / electronic music and the EX1K definitely struggles with most tracks.. The main problem being lack of mid bass..

Yeah agreed. The mid-bass, despite having great slam and texture, is just not enough in quantity for trance/house etc... So I end up having to increase the volume, but then the treble peak becomes an issue.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #4,515 of 4,748
So I end up having to increase the volume, but then the treble peak becomes an issue.
Saw some earlier post using 3M micropore tape to cover the nozzle can help to reduce treble peak? Have you tried?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back