Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Jul 29, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #4,516 of 4,748
Saw some earlier post using 3M micropore tape to cover the nozzle can help to reduce treble peak? Have you tried?

Haven't tried that, I'll have a look through the earlier posts and give it a try. Thanks!

I ordered a 2-pin to EKX adaptor which should arrive any day now, so I'll try a pure copper cable and see what that does

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #4,517 of 4,748
Saw some earlier post using 3M micropore tape to cover the nozzle can help to reduce treble peak? Have you tried?

It does somehow work but it affects a wideband of frequencies rather than a single specific band namely the 5.5khz part, and only a few dbs at best. If you’re fine with that, there’s no harm in trying. Here's someone else's finding for reference.

3m tape mod.JPG

I did give it a try on my ex600, and it didn’t work as well as I’d hope, but again ymmv. On the other hand, I also experimented with different bore sizes, foam tip vs silicone tip, trying different cables. The things we're willing to do hahaha. But on the upside, while many will be up in arms on this, the simplest solution sometimes is the one often overlooked: EQ. Give it a shot. Here’s a screenshot of mine.

D4199908-FF35-4973-A083-0B1434D01325.png
Solves the bass and hot treble issue, plays well on all of my songs, gives it a playful tuning while still being detailed and not losing on instrument separation. Best case of course is using a parametric eq, but not everyone has easy access to that. I’m already hearing angry chants of “why would you ruin it with a v shaped tuning” but it’s all subjective anyway and there’s nothing wrong in trying to make it sound exactly as you want it to be, even if it goes against conventional wisdom.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #4,519 of 4,748
It does somehow work but it affects a wideband of frequencies rather than a single specific band namely the 5.5khz part, and only a few dbs at best. If you’re fine with that, there’s no harm in trying. Here's someone else's finding for reference.

3m tape mod.JPG

I did give it a try on my ex600, and it didn’t work as well as I’d hope, but again ymmv. On the other hand, I also experimented with different bore sizes, foam tip vs silicone tip, trying different cables. The things we're willing to do hahaha. But on the upside, while many will be up in arms on this, the simplest solution sometimes is the one often overlooked: EQ. Give it a shot. Here’s a screenshot of mine.

D4199908-FF35-4973-A083-0B1434D01325.png
Solves the bass and hot treble issue, plays well on all of my songs, gives it a playful tuning while still being detailed and not losing on instrument separation. Best case of course is using a parametric eq, but not everyone has easy access to that. I’m already hearing angry chants of “why would you ruin it with a v shaped tuning” but it’s all subjective anyway and there’s nothing wrong in trying to make it sound exactly as you want it to be, even if it goes against conventional wisdom.

Thanks for this mate :) using my Zx507 DAP there’s an EQ setting called “Excited” which is basically a V shape eq, so I gave it a go. Sounds brilliant! Also switched on DSEE HX AI which I haven’t enjoyed the sound of in the past with other IEM’s, but for some reason with the EX1K coupled with the EQ it sounds great. This will be my new go-to setup for using ex1k.

Also had the 2-pin to EKX adaptors arrive today. Been playing around with some different cables but didn’t hear much of a difference. EQ makes a lot more sense and can keep using the stock cable.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #4,520 of 4,748
if my ex1k breaks for whatever reason (earbud driver failure), would Sony still be able to fix it? These are 9 year old iems I just want to make sure. Thanks

Oh god i hope you don't ever need to face that situation, ever. We're not sony employees here, so we can't say for sure, you have to pay a visit to the Sony Store around your area to enquire. I have a feeling that from a logistical standpoint, it doesnt make sense for them to keep spare parts for products that have long been out of production, especially one that's 9 years old and have since been superseded by 2 generations worth of products. I literally baby them, never letting them leave the house, always in their storage case. My ex800st solely exists because of this. But as with any well made product, if they are well taken care of, they will serve you well for a very long time.

Aug 6, 2020 at 5:44 AM Post #4,521 of 4,748
After many attempts, I failed to remove/replace left side with MMCX adapter for EX1000, too bad will use stocked cable 3.5mm. Nevertheless, my EX800ST is fitted with MMCX adapter.

Any recommend safe 3.5mm female to 4.4mm male adapter for Sony WM1Z player using stocked 3.5mm cable ?
My "itchy hand" tried to unscrew the left (white), finally i am able to remove the stocked cable , but the plastic tread inside EX1000 broken in pieces, , not sure if the previous owner glued them?

I don't think I can fix EKX to MMCX adaptor anymore. Luckily i am able to fix and screw the stocked cable.

My question if there's way to repair the white plastic tread on the earphone ? Can remove the remaining plastic tread? I do have a spared EX800ST stocked cable, can fit to this EX1000 unit?

Sony EX1K ETK.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #4,522 of 4,748
My "itchy hand" tried to unscrew the left (white), finally i am able to remove the stocked cable , but the plastic tread inside EX1000 broken in pieces, , not sure if the previous owner glued them?

I don't think I can fix EKX to MMCX adaptor anymore. Luckily i am able to fix and screw the stocked cable.

My question if there's way to repair the white plastic tread on the earphone ? Can remove the remaining plastic tread? I do have a spared EX800ST stocked cable, can fit to this EX1000 unit?

Sony EX1K ETK.jpg

I may be wrong in on this (feel free to correct me) but afaik, the white/red thing inside the iem acts kinda like the brackets to "lock" the connectors into the iem at the correct angle before you can start rotating the "nuts". If you notice on your cable connector, there's like a blank space in 2 points on the screw thread, that's for the red/white spaces in the iem to slot in and hold it in place. For the screw threads themselves, they are located the rotating "nut" on the iem which spins around the thread on the cable. As long as those threads are not worn out, and and the gold contact points in the iem and the cables remain in good condition, a connection theoretically is still possible.

My question if there's way to repair the white plastic tread on the earphone ? Try to ask sony reps if they can help you out with that
Can remove the remaining plastic tread? I would recommend leaving the remaining bits as it is, make sure the remaining bits inside the iem have been cleared out and try using the stock cables again to test the connection.
I do have a spared EX800ST stocked cable, can fit to this EX1000 unit? Yup

Aug 6, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #4,523 of 4,748
I would recommend leaving the remaining bits as it is, make sure the remaining bits inside the iem have been cleared out and try using the stock cables again to test the connection.
I do have a spared EX800ST stocked cable, can fit to this EX1000 unit? Yup

Thanks for your recommendation, there are few loose white pieces still fit inside the earphone thread, i am still able to fit the stocked cable and secure them , sound test is like normal. Will leave it as it is.

Aug 7, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #4,524 of 4,748
Ok, got my ex1000 and I hacked it a little bit from short cables...tips are also TPU tips

wires are 22Awg UPOCC Litz
Pentaconn 4.4
Stock extracted plugs

Stock plugs are super solid, metal body and threads, large pins that can even accommodate 20AWG if desired ....but comfort will suffer. Stock wires is also Litz but OFC grades and super thin
2B4630E8-F6D3-40B8-9822-E6599F4C4804.jpegAA2A6F79-E495-4837-BA55-42C1AAF3C1B4.jpeg

Aug 7, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #4,525 of 4,748
Ok, got my ex1000 and I hacked it a little bit from short cables...tips are also TPU tips

Pentaconn 4.4
Stock extracted plugs

Stock plugs are super solid, metal body and threads, large pins that can even accommodate 20AWG if desired ....but comfort will suffer. Stock wires is also Litz but OFC grades and super thin
cool, heatshrink tube can make it more aesthetic ?

Aug 8, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #4,526 of 4,748

Pentaconn 4.4
Stock extracted plugs

Super cool look with the new Sedna elastic tips! What’s your impression of it? I’m pretty happy with the stock tips but these just fascinates me.

Yup exactly my thoughts on the stock plugs. They are really well made. And after awhile i prefer the teknorote material on the earhooks vs heatshrinks on braided custom cables.

Not being a shill but the stock cable is imho a really well made cable, not sure why it gets so much hate. I started to really appreciate it’s subtle qualities after trying out different cables as others have done and finally coming back to it.

Aug 8, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #4,527 of 4,748
Super cool look with the new Sedna elastic tips! What’s your impression of it? I’m pretty happy with the stock tips but these just fascinates me.

Yup exactly my thoughts on the stock plugs. They are really well made. And after awhile i prefer the teknorote material on the earhooks vs heatshrinks on braided custom cables.

Not being a shill but the stock cable is imho a really well made cable, not sure why it gets so much hate. I started to really appreciate it’s subtle qualities after trying out different cables as others have done and finally coming back to it.

Do you have the US version? AFAIK it came with a different stock cable than other regions and is the one most people complain of- it is not a 'bad' cable per se, just super flimsy.

I am curious about those xlastic tips too. They look very similar to the Aurisonics SureSeal eartips which worked really nicely with the ex1000 IMO- sound-wise at least (functionally they were a pain because they really stick to the skin and were designed for wider nozzle IEMs so they tended to pull off the ex1k and stay in the ear without some modification).

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #4,529 of 4,748
Do you have the US version? AFAIK it came with a different stock cable than other regions and is the one most people complain of- it is not a 'bad' cable per se, just super flimsy.

I have the non us version, rk-ex1000lp & sp.

I have had experience with the rk-ex600lp cable that came with my ex600, and yes i do share their sentiments on that one.

Aug 9, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #4,530 of 4,748
I have the non us version, rk-ex1000lp & sp.

I have had experience with the rk-ex600lp cable that came with my ex600, and yes i do share their sentiments on that one.

Using the Sony Kimber cable myself together with mmcx adapters. The EX1000 is at it's best in balanced mode in my wm1z . Compared to the stock rk-ex1000lp/sp, the Kimber cable improves performance noticeably and most importantly smoothens out any harshness in the upper mid frequency range:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back