Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Jan 10, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #3,931 of 4,748
Men behind Moondrop company. They pursuit harman target as close as possible. I think they have good experience at tuning iem. Even on Crinacle's list, moondrop blessing got A- sitting down between other pricier iems and described as "closest to harman target"

really cant wait your impression, from the guy that has both kanas pro and ex1000.
Sorry what is harman target?

Jan 10, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #3,932 of 4,748
Yup the solis! Glad to hear the EE is an,overpriced lineup, makes me glad I didnt jump in on something . At one point I was quite close to just buying the andromeda or up to 1.5k, but for whatever reason after a few weeks I calmed down and just waited. The ex1k is amazing for sure, my upgrade was more avout going to TOTL with a different presentation. I waz told the nemesis presented guitars very very realistic and aggressive. I listen to alot of prog metal, and tech death, among many many other genres of music. What I was looking for is something that does guitars really really well. See the ex1k, has all the details, but lacks the tone and engaging nature. I loved my magnum v4 build I had, but, they had way to many other flaws. But the tone and presentation was there to really pull you in, unfortunately the overall sound still didnt fit right with me. Lush mids with accurate engaging tone was what I was looking for. Andromeda was Recommend ed over and over again. Well, the kanas pro is said to be the DD version of the andromeda, comparing favorably to the ex1k in terms of performance. I shall see hopefully soon. Dhl uodated tracking to jan 15th delivery. I just dont see how it actually gets better than the ex1k. What have you heard that could be considered "better"?

If you're looking for a different presentation, then the Phantom/Nemesis could definitely work! Nemesis is a nice V-shaped hybrid, and Phantom is on the warmer/darker side of neutral, so both would provide a different sound compared to the neutral-bright EX1000. Though I haven't had the chance to try it, Andromeda S might better fit your needs than the standard Andromeda, since it has a bit more midrange emphasis.

As for "better" IEMs... honestly, if you're talking bang-for-the-buck, it's hard to beat the EX1000 at its used (or even new) prices. If I was rolling in cash though, some IEMs I'd take over it are Jomo Flamenco, Vision Ears VE8, Empire Ears Zeus XR, Shure KSE1500, and 64Audio U18t.

Wonder what makes these so great?

Solis? I don't think it's out yet, so couldn't tell you that :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
However, the two things that make me interested are Moondrop's track record (I've listened to the Blessing before, and aside from the awkward fit, thought it was a great neutral IEM. Their other products, like the A8, are also well reviewed, though I haven't had any firsthand experience with them.) and the electrostatic tweeters. Electrostatic drivers seem to be the next big thing that many IEM manufacturers are giving a shot at, and the idea of incorporating the technology into IEMs without also requiring additional specialized amps, etc., as with the Shure KSE1200/1500, is pretty cool. The only IEM I've tried so far with the Sonion EST drivers, the Shozy Pola, wasn't very good, but I'd definitely like to listen to others, whether it's the Jomo Trinity, JH Janis, Fitear EST, or Moondrop Solis.

It's one take on an "ideal" frequency response. Looks like this:
upload_2019-1-10_22-44-51.png

Jan 10, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #3,933 of 4,748

As @BananaOoyoo answered : its ideal frequency response for iem, updated through time, deep big sub bass, then going down until 200hz, from there, flat response until 1k and start up again until peak at 2-3khz, then slightly dip down to avoid harshness peak and smoothly going down to make sure there are no sibilances.

I always EQ ing my iems to fix according to that harman target. For me, that harman target is near perfect, just adding 500-1k a bit up for my personal taste

Jan 10, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #3,934 of 4,748
As @BananaOoyoo answered : its ideal frequency response for iem, updated through time, deep big sub bass, then going down until 200hz, from there, flat response until 1k and start up again until peak at 2-3khz, then slightly dip down to avoid harshness peak and smoothly going down to make sure there are no sibilances.

I always EQ ing my iems to fix according to that harman target. For me, that harman target is near perfect, just adding 500-1k a bit up for my personal taste

How do you EQ the ex1000 to the Hartman Target?

Thanks!

Jan 10, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #3,935 of 4,748
How do you EQ the ex1000 to the Hartman Target?

Thanks!

20hz +7db
30hz +5db
40hz +2db
200hz -2db

300hz -1db
800hz +2db
900hz +2db
1k +4db
3k +2db

4k +5db
6k -8db (most important!)
8k -4db
16k +4db
20k +4db

depends on your EQ section also

Jan 10, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #3,936 of 4,748
...The ex1k is amazing for sure, my upgrade was more avout going to TOTL with a different presentation. I waz told the nemesis presented guitars very very realistic and aggressive. I listen to alot of prog metal, and tech death, among many many other genres of music. What I was looking for is something that does guitars really really well. See the ex1k, has all the details, but lacks the tone and engaging nature. I loved my magnum v4 build I had, but, they had way to many other flaws. But the tone and presentation was there to really pull you in, unfortunately the overall sound still didnt fit right with me. Lush mids with accurate engaging tone was what I was looking for...

Have you tried the Aurisonics ASG1Plus? I have both the EX1000 and the 1Plus and I love the 1Plus for death metal or anything with guitars. Lush mids and a realistic sound is what it's all about. It's hard to find but occasionally pops up for sale.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #3,937 of 4,748
Have you tried the Aurisonics ASG1Plus? I have both the EX1000 and the 1Plus and I love the 1Plus for death metal or anything with guitars. Lush mids and a realistic sound is what it's all about. It's hard to find but occasionally pops up for sale.

Nope but I shall keep an eye out for it! I still look to re buy a hifiman re262 just because of the mids, not sure if it can keep up with metal very well though. When I had them I didnt have the best setup. I just hope I can find another piece of gear that constantly impresses me, near daily, as much as the ex1k does. If I had constant access to listen at home with a full sized rig like I used to, maybe they wouldnt be so amazing to me. But since I dont ever get a chance to sit down with my he4 setup at home, this thing has honestly been the next best. Especially since buying the zx300 and going balanced, its just a match made in head fi heaven.

Jan 11, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #3,938 of 4,748
Wow, the EX1000 has a great synergy with the Fiio Q5 (with the stock AM3A modules... haven't tried the others yet). I've had my EX1000 for about six months and have tried them with different portable amps (Mojo, DFB, DFR, BTR3, ES100) but the Fiio Q5 has been the best so far! They're as good as my HD800S or Elear paired with my Bimby and Jot or Lyr2!

Jan 11, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #3,939 of 4,748
Wow, the EX1000 has a great synergy with the Fiio Q5 (with the stock AM3A modules... haven't tried the others yet). I've had my EX1000 for about six months and have tried them with different portable amps (Mojo, DFB, DFR, BTR3, ES100) but the Fiio Q5 has been the best so far! They're as good as my HD800S or Elear paired with my Bimby and Jot or Lyr2!
Yup EX1000’s are reference level monitors! I Will have a pair my whole life.

Jan 11, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #3,940 of 4,748
Yup EX1000’s are reference level monitors! I Will have a pair my whole life.

How do you feel the dm6 actually compare to the ex1000?

Jan 12, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #3,941 of 4,748
Dm6 is more of a fun pair to me. Soundstage is good, but EX is a lot wider. Bass is much deeper on Dm6 and it doesn’t need as much power as the EX, so louder in a sense. EX has better mids and treble is much brighter. I go to my EX when I want to hear more details.

Jan 12, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #3,943 of 4,748
The ex1000 says it is 16mm LCP (non aluminum coated)

The 7550/ 800st is ML *

So they're not the same? I thought it was just different tuning.

Theyre totally different, 7550/800st came out first, and then followed by their next gen EX1000 & EX600 at same time. Only EX1000 use Liquid Crystal Polymer Driver.
Theyre different on tuning too,

800st more laid back, flat, still similarly tuning with EX1000, EX1000 more details and more aggressive (not that really shouty aggresive, still in balance category) with bigger bass and boosted treble at 6khz (adding low treble clarity and sparkle)
EX600 is like little brother of EX1000, but more laid back and flat, or i can say more like 800st, but more rolled off highs

But all of them got HUGE soundstage with super clarity and details with that massive AIR. All came out off that gigantic 16mm driver off course. Really high technical abilites that not easy to beat, especially when it comes to price/performance value

Jan 12, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #3,944 of 4,748
Theyre totally different, 7550/800st came out first, and then followed by their next gen EX1000 & EX600 at same time. Only EX1000 use Liquid Crystal Polymer Driver.

800st more laid back, flat, still similarly tuning with EX1000, EX1000 more details and more aggressive (not that really shouty aggresive, still in balance category) with bigger bass and boosted treble at 6khz (adding low treble clarity and sparkle)
EX600 is like little brother of EX1000, but more laid back and flat, or i can say more like 800st, but more rolled off highs

But all of them got HUGE soundstage with super clarity and details with that massive AIR. All came out off that gigantic 16mm driver off course. Really high technical abilites that not easy to beat, especially when it comes to price/performance value

Yea i gots me a 40mm LCP in the lineup
giphy.gif

Thanks for the info!

Jan 12, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #3,945 of 4,748

I think the Ex1000 and Ex600 came out first, then the Ex800, followed by the Ex7550.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back