Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Jan 18, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #3,962 of 4,748
Hello everyone, in a few time I will became a owner of this iems, I would try those with a balanced cable, someone had found a new cable better than the stock one without breaking the bank? Or even at every costs, just out of curiosity

I had two balanced cables 4.4mm hybrid (copper + silver) and (copper + gold-plated copper) the first impression is better, because more bass, more midrange, after a month return to the sony cable "it has a complete signature and is the most balanced ...

Jan 18, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #3,963 of 4,748
I'm thinking of grabbing the EX1000 for about $600 CAD from a friend. They're pretty mint condition.

I have a chord mojo but I'd be selling it to fund this. I'd be pretty much just left with my LG G7 running Tidal (MQA). Would that be enough to drive these? Or should I go for the MDR-7550 (or something else)?

Jan 18, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #3,964 of 4,748
I'm thinking of grabbing the EX1000 for about $600 CAD from a friend. They're pretty mint condition.

I have a chord mojo but I'd be selling it to fund this. I'd be pretty much just left with my LG G7 running Tidal (MQA). Would that be enough to drive these? Or should I go for the MDR-7550 (or something else)?

My lg v20 can sometimes struggle depending on recording. They sound fine on it, but theres definitely enough of a difference between it and the sony zx300 to warrant owning it. That price is too,much though, thats about 450usd, you can find it cheaper. Should be around 300 USD used.

Jan 19, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #3,965 of 4,748
My lg v20 can sometimes struggle depending on recording. They sound fine on it, but theres definitely enough of a difference between it and the sony zx300 to warrant owning it. That price is too,much though, thats about 450usd, you can find it cheaper. Should be around 300 USD used.

Ouch! They were $350 USD for a new set not so long ago. Though import-only & Canada seems to be more strict about customs tax, which might explain the difference, particularly after apparent discontinuation and recent reinterest seem to have almost doubled new prices:dizzy_face:
ex1000 is my favorite IEM but were I a more pragmatic person IDK that I'd necessarily take it over an ER4 or something of that general quality at half the price.

If it's a good friend maybe they'd let you borrow them first or do a 'security deposit-loan' or temporary trade type of deal to test it out.

Not tried them yet, but looked at JVC FD01? Seem to be one of the current better regarded single dynamic driver IEM in this price range (incidentally, user that started this ex1000 thread has a mod for them too).

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #3,966 of 4,748
Ouch! They were $350 USD for a new set not so long ago. Though import-only & Canada seems to be more strict about customs tax, which might explain the difference, particularly after apparent discontinuation and recent reinterest seem to have almost doubled new prices:dizzy_face:
ex1000 is my favorite IEM but were I a more pragmatic person IDK that I'd necessarily take it over an ER4 or something of that general quality at half the price.

If it's a good friend maybe they'd let you borrow them first or do a 'security deposit-loan' or temporary trade type of deal to test it out.

Not tried them yet, but looked at JVC FD01? Seem to be one of the current better regarded single dynamic driver IEM in this price range (incidentally, user that started this ex1000 thread has a mod for them too).
I use the Shure 535 and I hate them

Jan 19, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #3,967 of 4,748

CAD600 is pretty pricy. You might be able to find some here for CAD450 in mint condition too.

EX1000 has better technicalities, dynamics, bass and treble extension than the MDR7550. However, the MDR7550 is smoother, has more forward vocals and less treble brightness so it’s easier to listen to. I find myself listening to the MDR7550 more. If you can find one for CAD250, it’d be a steal.

Jan 19, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #3,968 of 4,748
CAD600 is pretty pricy. You might be able to find some here for CAD450 in mint condition too.

EX1000 has better technicalities, dynamics, bass and treble extension than the MDR7550. However, the MDR7550 is smoother, has more forward vocals and less treble brightness so it’s easier to listen to. I find myself listening to the MDR7550 more. If you can find one for CAD250, it’d be a steal.
Would you say that they are good for portable and office use?

Jan 20, 2019 at 2:00 AM Post #3,969 of 4,748

Office use, maybe. They don’t provide good isolation because of the vents.

Commuting, absolutely no. Especially subway.

I personally listen to mine at home.

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #3,970 of 4,748
I used them on the move, at home, on the move I always have my backpack, so I carry the case all the time.

Jan 20, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #3,971 of 4,748
Thanks. I picked up a pair of er4xr's from ebay, new for 300.

They were rated A- in the tier list so I hope they're good.

I'm also contemplating ordering the DM6 from China. Are either of these good? I'm usually a Sony fanboy

Jan 20, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #3,972 of 4,748

Is this a good friend? That price is way high. I bought a mint set here for about $260 USD. They pop up on Amazon new for the price your friend is asking.

I occasionally use mine with my LG V20 and it works well. I believe it has the same DAC and amp as your phone.

EDIT...Looks like I'm late to the party. Enjoy the Etys!

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #3,973 of 4,748
Is this a good friend? That price is way high. I bought a mint set here for about $260 USD. They pop up on Amazon new for the price your friend is asking.

I occasionally use mine with my LG V20 and it works well. I believe it has the same DAC and amp as your phone.

EDIT...Looks like I'm late to the party. Enjoy the Etys!

Thanks for the input :)

I ended up ordering the dm6 as well* going to see which one i like the most out Shure se535, er4xr, dm6, and vd3rs. I also bought the 6N silver cable. I didn't want to just get the andro's. Will sell the ones I don't like haha

Jan 20, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #3,974 of 4,748
If anyone is interested in a dynamic tuned differently, but pretty dang resolving, with excellent, super clear mids and amazing sub bass, look at the moondrop kanas pro. I find it a good partner to my ex1k, and I got it for 134 shipped. I would still say the ex1k has the upper hand but its not a major margin and the tuning is alot different. There are certain tracks I enjoy more on the kanas pro, so it's fun to own both right now. I will post an in depth comparison on the moondrop thread and maybe link it here if anyone is interested, it'll be a few weeks though. On another note, I went back to my balanced eBay cable for a bit, and for whatever reason there is a difference in sonic qualities between it and my own handmade cable. I will be buying more 26ga copper from,btg audio soon to make another cable or 2.

Jan 21, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #3,975 of 4,748
found a pair of brand new EX1000 and EX800ST's but the EX1000 is more than twice the price of the EX800

was also told that the EX1000 is not much better than the acoustune 1650 (marginally better)

what do ya'll think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back