Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Jan 12, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #3,946 of 4,748
20hz +7db
30hz +5db
40hz +2db
200hz -2db

300hz -1db
800hz +2db
900hz +2db
1k +4db
3k +2db

4k +5db
6k -8db (most important!)
8k -4db
16k +4db
20k +4db

depends on your EQ section also

Wow, the EX1000 must be lacking some serious sub-bass if you have to inject 7db @20Hz just to bring it close to the Harman Curve!

Jan 12, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #3,948 of 4,748
I think the Ex1000 and Ex600 came out first, then the Ex800, followed by the Ex7550.

sorry about that, you are right, EX1000 together with EX600 in 2011, followed by EX800 in 2012

Jan 12, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #3,949 of 4,748
Wow, the EX1000 must be lacking some serious sub-bass if you have to inject 7db @20Hz just to bring it close to the Harman Curve!

Actually not, but He just asked for Harman target reference which have very big sub bass. But EX1000 got very nice deep sub bass. for me personally i like big sub bass, very deep and clean sub bass

Jan 12, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #3,950 of 4,748

Like Dynamic mentioned, Harman target just calls for bass emphasis. Oddly enough (considering its "bright-heads only" reputation), reading around I think you will find a fair number of people consider bass the ex1000's strong suit in addition to presentation (with mids balance and treble spike needing the most correction). Even gained some recognition in the big basshead IEM ranking thread from a few years ago- users there noted that though it's a non-basshead IEM, it's almost uniquely well suited for bass boosting/EQ under amplification thanks to somewhat high power tolerance for an IEM and the overall tuning remaining relatively balanced in that state.

IMO even without boosting the bass, it's still very good subbass- almost reminds me of HE-560 in the way that the bass isn't remarkably elevated but the deep bass is still palpable (guessing something to do with driver size?). Plus, it still has a speedy/punchy quality in the midbass- in my experience most bass oriented IEMs tend to favor one over the other but ex1k finds a great balance.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2019 at 12:21 AM Post #3,951 of 4,748
Like Dynamic mentioned, Harman target just calls for bass emphasis. Oddly enough (considering its "bright-heads only" reputation), reading around I think you will find a fair number of people consider bass the ex1000's strong suit in addition to presentation (with mids balance and treble spike needing the most correction). Even gained some recognition in the big basshead IEM ranking thread from a few years ago- users there noted that though it's a non-basshead IEM, it's almost uniquely well suited for bass boosting/EQ under amplification thanks to somewhat high power tolerance for an IEM and the overall tuning remaining relatively balanced in that state.

IMO even without boosting the bass, it's still very good subbass- almost reminds me of HE-560 in the way that the bass isn't remarkably elevated but the deep bass is still palpable (guessing something to do with driver size?). Plus, it still has a speedy/punchy quality in the midbass- in my experience most bass oriented IEMs tend to favor one over the other but ex1k finds a great balance.

Funny you mention the he560, ive always felt the ex1k was the best I could get to compete with my he4. They arent exactly similar, but at the same time the ex1k shares some traits if you consider its a different driver and music delivery form. The he4s low rumble but incredibly clean presentation is similar to the ex1ks, same with treble air and detail. When it comes down to it, the he4 on a good setup, is obviously much different,but theres similarities there for sure. I really cant wait to hear an iem that can truly compete.

Jan 14, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #3,953 of 4,748
How would the Harman curve look for the 10 band equalizer on the Sony WM1A? Thanks.

for EX1000? i dont have WM1A but i assume i will go like this :

31hz +5db
62hz +1db
125hz 0

250hz -1db
500hz 0
1k +3db
2k +2db

4k +4db
8k -4db
16k +4db

lack of 6khz band which is needed to tamed down, but as long as youre ok with it and its good!

Jan 15, 2019 at 2:53 AM Post #3,954 of 4,748
Guys, need some help here regarding ear tips.

Apart from the stock Sony ear tips, I ordered a combined set of RHA tips (double flange and dual density in various sizes) and found these tips to sound better than the stock ones. What I am struggling with is the fit.

I have very narrow ear canals and it took me a while until I finally found the right size for my left ear canal - and that’s the stock Sony SS size. For my right ear canal I can use either SS or regular S.

The problem is that RHA double flange tips don’t come in size SS. Size S is okay-ish for my right ear, but too big for my left ear resulting in improper fit.

I checked other manufacturers and it appears SpinFits can also be ordered in size SS.

Can anyone confirm whether the SpinFit CP100 is actually the same as the stock Sony tips in terms of size?

Jan 17, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #3,955 of 4,748
Guys, need some help here regarding ear tips.

Apart from the stock Sony ear tips, I ordered a combined set of RHA tips (double flange and dual density in various sizes) and found these tips to sound better than the stock ones. What I am struggling with is the fit.

I have very narrow ear canals and it took me a while until I finally found the right size for my left ear canal - and that’s the stock Sony SS size. For my right ear canal I can use either SS or regular S.

The problem is that RHA double flange tips don’t come in size SS. Size S is okay-ish for my right ear, but too big for my left ear resulting in improper fit.

I checked other manufacturers and it appears SpinFits can also be ordered in size SS.

Can anyone confirm whether the SpinFit CP100 is actually the same as the stock Sony tips in terms of size?

I can confirm that the cp100 fit

Jan 18, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #3,957 of 4,748
Hello everyone, in a few time I will became a owner of this iems, I would try those with a balanced cable, someone had found a new cable better than the stock one without breaking the bank? Or even at every costs, just out of curiosity

Jan 18, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #3,958 of 4,748
Just reterminate the stock cable, the stock cable is of excellent quality.

Jan 18, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #3,960 of 4,748
ok but I was asking if anyone have found a better cable then the stock one
What is the definition of better do you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back