Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Dec 12, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #3,181 of 4,748
I would like to ask a question to you guys, I think its appropriate...

In my mind I want the campfire vega, never heard it but opinion seems as though it would suit me extremely well.

Im on the verge of getting me the ex800st and vent modding, came across this because of HBB vids.

Same as above for the ex1000st.

Have never heard either.

What can I expect out of the two? I currently have mojo aswell.

Anybody have anything to say how either of these compare to vega?

Cheers

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #3,182 of 4,748
The Vega has more bass, Fuller lower mids and the treble peaks differently. The ex-1000 is not far from the Vega in clarity, although I thought the Vega came ahead. Besides the 7khz peak, which people have different ways of handling, the ex-1000 is pretty great.

Mostly, besides the differences in tuning, the Vega gives you a much more wearable and useable form factor, with better isolation and fit.

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #3,184 of 4,748
Like the 800's, is there any vent mods that accentuate the 1000 qualities? Thanks for feedback

On the 7550 (ex800) if you put your finger over the vent you can hear a really noticeable difference in bass response, but it doesn't really work with the ex1000.  I'm not sure if its because there's another hole at the bottom of the ex1000 or some other reason.  However, the ex1000 responds really well with EQ if you want to shape your own sound

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #3,185 of 4,748
I would like to ask a question to you guys, I think its appropriate...

In my mind I want the campfire vega, never heard it but opinion seems as though it would suit me extremely well.

Im on the verge of getting me the ex800st and vent modding, came across this because of HBB vids.

Same as above for the ex1000st.

Have never heard either.

What can I expect out of the two? I currently have mojo aswell.

Anybody have anything to say how either of these compare to vega?

Cheers

How much are the vegas?

How much are the ex1000?

I'll give you this.  I went to japan in oct and tried some of the most high end iem since they have audio shops where you can basically try almost anything from $50-$3k sets.  The ex1000 will go toe-toe with them and even exceed some double its price.

The stage is huge on the ex but it does have some peaks and shows sibilance when the track has a lot of it.

Like the 800's, is there any vent mods that accentuate the 1000 qualities? Thanks for feedback

No vent mod.  You'll need heavy eq to get them to semi-basshead.  These are taking over most of my listening time as of late. 7550/800 modded for thunderous bass.  ex1000 for audiophile use.

these need a perfect seal, even more so than the 7550

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #3,186 of 4,748
How much are the vegas?

How much are the ex1000?

I'll give you this.  I went to japan in oct and tried some of the most high end iem since they have audio shops where you can basically try almost anything from $50-$3k sets.  The ex1000 will go toe-toe with them and even exceed some double its price.

The stage is huge on the ex but it does have some peaks and shows sibilance when the track has a lot of it.

No vent mod.  You'll need heavy eq to get them to semi-basshead.  These are taking over most of my listening time as of late. 7550/800 modded for thunderous bass.  ex1000 for audiophile use.

these need a perfect seal, even more so than the 7550
for around £500 I can get them both. I would have a basshead beast and a sonically outstanding IEM. Not bad for £500...

How are male female vocals on both models?

Cheers guys, answered all questions I had in my mind. Owning these brothers would be awesome.

Is there anything I should look out for that is specific when buying? I'd grab the japanese ex800st printed model, the ex1000 ok as is to purchase?

Cheers

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #3,187 of 4,748
for around £500 I can get them both. I would have a basshead beast and a sonically outstanding IEM. Not bad for £500...

Cheers guys, answered all questions I had in my mind. Owning these brothers would be awesome.

Is there anything I should look out for that is specific when buying? I'd grab the japanese ex800st printed model, the ex1000 ok as is to purchase?

Cheers

The japanese ex1000 comes with a really good cable. In north america they gave us a crappy ex600 cable with the ex1000.  The RK-Ex1000 cable is much more durable and some say have better sound as well.

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #3,188 of 4,748

Cheers

Both for 500!!! I would do it if it is.

for the 1000 make sure its the Japan import model.  In the back where the barcode is, there should be J suffix after all the numbers.  (J) japan, (eu) europe, (A?) us

Dec 12, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #3,189 of 4,748
Both for 500!!! I would do it if it is.

for the 1000 make sure its the Japan import model.  In the back where the barcode is, there should be J suffix after all the numbers.  (J) japan, (eu) europe, (A?) us
I would be buying both sets off an auction site, where the sellers are japanese based. I assume both models would be the japanese import models.

Dec 12, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #3,190 of 4,748
I would be buying both sets off an auction site, where the sellers are japanese based. I assume both models would be the japanese import models.

That is a great deal to have a bass bomber that when taped still has the best mids of any bass elevated set and if tape removed it's a nice set with big stage rolled treble which is good for long listening. 1000 are the best IEM I have ever heard in my life hands down. Fit is the key. Gonna have to tip roll. EQ is a must for 1000 in bass area but it is not easy and the mids fight for their position at all times which is awesome.

Dec 13, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #3,191 of 4,748
   That is a great deal to have a bass bomber that when taped still has the best mids of any bass elevated set and if tape removed it's a nice set with big stage rolled treble which is good for long listening. 1000 are the best IEM I have ever heard in my life hands down. Fit is the key. Gonna have to tip roll. EQ is a must for 1000 in bass area but it is not easy and the mids fight for their position at all times which is awesome.

Slightly off-topic, since this isn't really a basshead thread... but the most impressive / authoritative 16mm DD bass I've ever heard wasn't from a Sony IEM.

It was actually from the obscure and mighty Final Audio 1601:

Now, these are normally meant to be worn without a seal, which projects a huge soundstage, but causes distinct bass roll-off. However, a friend of mine beefed them up with sealing tips and EQ, and what emerged as a result from these 16mm drivers in their solid metal housings was an awe-inspiring experience I'll never forget.
eek.gif

So, if you incurable bassheads happen to come across a pair of these (they're pretty hard to find these days) and are not opposed to EQ, you really might wanna give them a try.
wink.gif

Dec 13, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #3,192 of 4,748
Simple way to get the EX800ST with heavy bass, just put a RK-EX1000 cable on it.

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #3,193 of 4,748
Finally purchased a pair of MDR-EX1000 and upon my first listen, jaw dropped to the floor. 

This is da bomb! 

I have been searching forever for this kind of sound signature & I am shocked to have found it from the Sony.

Somewhat uneven treble and low isolation is only weakness I can find so far, but damn.. that mids & bass are pure perfection!     

Jan 14, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #3,194 of 4,748
  Finally purchased a pair of MDR-EX1000 and upon my first listen, jaw dropped to the floor. 

This is da bomb! 

I have been searching forever for this kind of sound signature & I am shocked to have found it from the Sony.

Somewhat uneven treble and low isolation is only weakness I can find so far, but damn.. that mids & bass are pure perfection!     

Yeah Sony lost me with it's PC's and proprietary everything but they nailed some of the audio stuff. This EX1000 would be one of those nailed it items

Jan 14, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #3,195 of 4,748
I will also pick one up in october during my visit to Japan, although I can get them from china pretty cheap, but these are internation version, I want to get a true japan version, although they are all made in Japan. They are pretty cheap in japan also, I just want to complete my EX monitor collection, Already have the EX600 and EX800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back