Shure SE 535, very noticeable HISS
Mar 16, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #31 of 39
I just got the SE535's about a week and a half ago. I have a mid-2011 Macbook Pro also. I immediately noticed the hissing noise also. I immediately headed to my local hi-fi store to try to figure out what it was that was causing the issue. The bozo at the store could not give me a straight answer but instead tried to sell me an Audioquest Dragonfly instead because he thought it "might" fix it. I had already done plenty of research and was going to buy the Dragonfly before he even brought it up. I knew that wouldn't fix it. I purchased the Dragonfly from my local Best Buy the same day because he wanted to charge me $250 for the version 1.0 when I already knew I could get the 1.2 from Best Buy for $99. But that is beside the point. If you just plug the inline volume control into the MB Pro first and then the SE535 into volume control. Put the IEMs in and then adjust the inline control down just enough to where the hiss is no longer audible. Voila! Not only will the terrible hiss be gone, but this will also allow your MB Pro to have a much larger system volume range to work with when changing the volume. BTW, the Dragonfly is definitely worth your time if you're planning on getting a DAC anytime soon for your computer.

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #32 of 39
DUDE!!!
I'm new to IEM's but I do hear HISS with clip+! I bought se535 about a week ago and when I plugged it into my HTC one there was noticeable hiss. I read a lot of reviews and decided to give a try on the clip+(since fiio x5 is not on sale for now). I just got the clip+ and the HISS is still there!! Well, yeah, it's not as loud as other device but it is still there. Desperated.... I tried my frd's iphone and that's NO HISS. 
Anyway I still appreciate for your review but I strongly courage ppl to listen to the device b4 buying it.

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #37 of 39
Well, duh... that's obvious... Reviews can only get you so far... testing by your own ear is the best way to test a device, getting unbiased opinion before reading biased ones online. Retail store that allow demo devices like Jaben is really a place worth visiting.
About the hiss on the 535, I didn't have it either from using my VAIO laptop or my Sony IC Recorder (surprisingly has better sound than my smartphone), but FitEar 334 did manage to pick it up, well its a lot more sensitive, do recommend to check the overall gear spec and its meaning before buying things online if you can't find the store to try it out first.

Nov 19, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #38 of 39
I have read on a number of occasions people complaining that headphones hiss.  Passive components can not and do not HISS!!!!!!  It is the source component that is doing the hissing - the headphones, due to their high sensitivity, are doing a better job of revealing it.  If your Apple computer is hissing at you through the Shure headphones don't blame the messenger.  And for the person who was deriding the salesman for trying to foist an AudioQuest Dragonfly on him, that was an elegant and efficient solution in that it removed the noisy afterthought that Apple calls audio, and replaced it with quality, purpose built audio circuitry.

Mar 14, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #39 of 39
I've recently bought Shure se535 Red Ltd editions and I'm getting very loud hiss out of my HRT microstreamer.  They're fine direct out of my HTC One (M7) and out of my Chord Mojo.  The HRT microstreamer is fine with all my other IEMs including IE8s, Etymotic ER4Ps, Shure se425s and others. I'm talking about a barely audible hiss here - they're really unusable with microstreamer.

I'd really welcome any thoughts here as to what the problem is and any potential fix?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back