Shure SE 535, very noticeable HISS
Jul 17, 2011 at 11:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

felixtum2010

New Head-Fier
Hello Everyone,

I got my Shure SE535 2 days ago and since then have had trouble removing the pre-installed sleeves, because they fit so tight. By now I am pretty sure I that I have found the right sleeves for me. 

Anyway, I listen to lossless music from my 2011 MacBook Pro 17" and iPhone 4 and I can hear a VERY noticeable hiss in the background. It sounds like the background noise of an old cheap deck player. And to be honest I am therefore pretty dissappointed in the Shures. I have expected them to sound a lot better. 

Will using a DAC on the laptop and a portable amp on the iPhone kill the hiss? 

Thank you for your opinions on this.

Felix

Jul 17, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #3 of 39
The DAC/AMPs will help lot to get best out of SE535 and it will remove the hiss. I will recommend to try these portable DAC/AMPs XM6, D6, D12, Pico and they canbe use with iPhone 4 also through dock cable and soundquality willbe improve much more than HP jack. BTW if you want no hiss and bigger, better sound(like fullsize headphones) then try JVC FX700, SM3, Westone 3, Sennheiser IE8 and Sony MDR-EX1000.

Jul 17, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #6 of 39
Shure is more efficient or sensitive IEM than W3.  SE535 has sensitivity of 119 which is pretty high for IEM compared to W3.  Notice W3 need to be turned up the volume more than SE535?  Hiss is noise, and it will be amplified just like the audio signal.  Amplfiers have a multiplying factor of the input signal called gain.  If the gain is high enough, even at lowest volume(since gain is effect), noise is amplified to a level based on gain.  If you adjust or lower amplifier's gain to make noise inaudible, that would work.  In other words use a dap or amplifier that has low enough gain to not hear the hiss for the SE525.  Some DAPs like Sonys have high enough gain to drive low sensitive headphoens, so for sensitive IEMs, you can hear hiss.

Quote:
Is there any factual reason, why the Shure SE535 hiss, and as you claim for example Westone 3s do not hiss?

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #7 of 39
Well then I do not understand why everybody gives the Shure really good reviews. And I need to be specific here. A lot of the people on this board probably know their way around high end headphones and IEM, and can spot little differences between some high end IEMs. But that is not what I mean, I have no clue about audio, but I can tell that this hiss noise is annoying as hell. So why would you spend 400 euros on IEMs if they produce this freaking hiss? 

Can you tell me exactly what I need to buy in order for the hiss to vanish? I read that those Crystal Cable piccollo LODs in combination with a Headamp Pico DAC/Amp combo are pretty good. Will this setup sound REALLY good with my iphone, unlike it does now? 

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #8 of 39
Actually, it is not the IEM at fault.  It is the source that is causing it.  All my IEMs are sensitive like SE535.  I prefer sensitive IEMs over others becasue sensitive IEMs will have maximum sound presentation without external amping.  W3 for example will not sound to it's potential straight out of a DAP, but SE535 will.  I don't experience hiss with ipod classic 6th gen, and Clip+.  If you get an external amp, it will not help, it will amplify the hiss no matter what.  Go to the portable source gear section and let them know of SE535's sensitivity and ask for DAPs that will not hiss with it.

Quote:
Well then I do not understand why everybody gives the Shure really good reviews. And I need to be specific here. A lot of the people on this board probably know their way around high end headphones and IEM, and can spot little differences between some high end IEMs. But that is not what I mean, I have no clue about audio, but I can tell that this hiss noise is annoying as hell. So why would you spend 400 euros on IEMs if they produce this freaking hiss? 

Can you tell me exactly what I need to buy in order for the hiss to vanish? I read that those Crystal Cable piccollo LODs in combination with a Headamp Pico DAC/Amp combo are pretty good. Will this setup sound REALLY good with my iphone, unlike it does now? 

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #9 of 39
Pretty sure it's your source. I have used SE530 (not that much different) out of iphone 3gs and 4, and did not notice a major hiss problem.  All iphones may not be made equally. Definitely try some different sources.  The SE535 should sound pretty d@mn good, (and quiet) aside from not having as much bass as I like.  (They became acceptable in the bass dept for me after using the EQu app.)

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #10 of 39
^It is his/her source.
wink.gif
  Headphones don't cause hiss.  Headphones only react to signals being sent to it.

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #11 of 39
Try getting a cheap Dac like the Fiio E7 or even a portable player like the Clip+ and see if the hiss goes away. It sounds to me like the onboard sound on the MacBook isn't that great.

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #12 of 39
So you guys are saying its my iPhone and Macbook that cause the problem? I will have to see for myself. I ll just plug it into some other audio sources and see what happens. 

But for my laptop (which I am not going to buy a new one just because it hisses), a good DAC would kill the hiss, because the audio is not processed by the soundcard then right? 

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #13 of 39
Typically, laptop sound card(even desktop) has alot of noise because the sound card is integrated on the motherboard.  The motherboard has a lot of conductor paths, and conduction or current flow causes induction or magnetics which induces current or signal on nearby circuit such as the sound card.  It happens more so for the laptop because of the proximity of the circuitry around it and the integration aspects.  Some laptops you can hear EMI from hard drivers spinning through the sound port. In addition, there is a lot of heat being radiated inside the laptop, which also causes noise. You can open up the laptop and try to isolated it like how Essenese STX desktop card is done, but is just too much work.  I would suggest getting an external sound card(that is attached through usb cable), not a dongle(it will pick up noise).  You can get a X-Fi Surround 5.1, and it will not have noticible hiss, if you need a transportable.  

Quote:
Try getting a cheap Dac like the Fiio E7 or even a portable player like the Clip+ and see if the hiss goes away. It sounds to me like the onboard sound on the MacBook isn't that great.

Jul 17, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #14 of 39
The ALO Audio 18AWG Cryo or SXC dock cables are recommended for full bodied sound and shows more details in mids, highs with better bass response. The line-out is cleaner than HP jack on iPhone 4 and it won't hiss anymore if use with external AMPs. BTW the hiss will total remove if Macbook Pro hooked with AMPs/DAC through USB.

Jul 17, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #15 of 39

Quote:
So you guys are saying its my iPhone and Macbook that cause the problem? I will have to see for myself. I ll just plug it into some other audio sources and see what happens. 

But for my laptop (which I am not going to buy a new one just because it hisses), a good DAC would kill the hiss, because the audio is not processed by the soundcard then right? 

If it is any consolation, I also have a Macbook that causes hiss in my (sensitive) UE TF10s.  It is the Macbook sound card, coupled with the fact that your IEMs are extremely sensitive.  I've learned to live with my music + hiss since I can't hear it unless I have nothing playing.  However, you're definitely being pointed in the right direction.  None of your gear is faulty;you just learned of a problem that you didn't even know existed! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back