Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jan 7, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #39,796 of 41,202
Currently listening to; Nothing incredible but it reaches the right spots
1000015334-01.jpg

Jan 7, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #39,802 of 41,202
Jan 7, 2024 at 8:11 PM Post #39,803 of 41,202
Interesting headphones. Did changing pads help or hinder the sound?
Sorry for the late reply. After numerous pad rolling, this pad type is by far the best and most comfy. Most noticeable is in the sub/bass department, a good amount (deep, tight, clean) without a hint of bloat and does not ruin the NDH 30 sound signature.
Here’s take on the pads by Audiowood
I have mine with the orange driver filter replaced with a thinner medium opening up the the treble regions.

Jan 7, 2024 at 8:29 PM Post #39,804 of 41,202
Sorry for the late reply. After numerous pad rolling, this pad type is by far the best and most comfy. Most noticeable is in the sub/bass department, a good amount (deep, tight, clean) without a hint of bloat and does not ruin the NDH 30 sound signature.
Here’s take on the pads by Audiowood
I have mine with the orange driver filter replaced with a thinner medium opening up the the treble regions.
Did you make these pads? Or buy them somewhere?

I'm impressed that padrolling like this did any good (instead of harm) on an apparently precisely voiced and balanced dynamic design like this, so obviously intended for music studio use. Most of my padrolling experiments on other headphones were horrible fails...

Jan 7, 2024 at 8:38 PM Post #39,805 of 41,202
It's fun to joke around about Beethoven's deafness. But consider this: of all Beethoven's symphonies, his biggest (and according to some, his best) was the last, Symphony No. 9, composed and debuted when he was completely deaf.

That is hard to wrap my mind around...
Actually he wasn't completely deaf, just hard of hearing at that point. He didn't go deaf until a few years later, when he was closer to death.

Jan 7, 2024 at 8:41 PM Post #39,806 of 41,202
what are the two tube amps on the right theres so much stuff in your description i cant figure it out haha
Specifically, they're Woo Audio WA5-LE with Elrog 5U4G rectifiers, Elrog 300B-Mo Power Tubes, and Sylvania 6F8G Z0 Green Leaf drivers.

Jan 7, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #39,807 of 41,202
Did you make these pads? Or buy them somewhere?

I'm impressed that padrolling like this did any good (instead of harm) on an apparently precisely voiced and balanced dynamic design like this, so obviously intended for music studio use. Most of my padrolling experiments on other headphones were horrible fails...
The only reason I went pad hunting was for comfort and fit reasons, change the way it wears without changing the sound.
It was quite a choir looking for a pad that’s not destructive to a phone’s original sound signature. This was actually my last pad and give up the hunt. Glad it turned out well and more than I expected.
It’s an aliexpress pad

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 11:12 PM Post #39,808 of 41,202
Actually he wasn't completely deaf, just hard of hearing at that point. He didn't go deaf until a few years later, when he was closer to death.
I just did a deeper dive on this. Opinions are all over the place, as you might imagine after 200 years. Until very recently the standard belief (based on historical sources & research) was that Beethoven was completely deaf by age 44 or 45 (he composed Symphony No. 9 when he was 56).

In 2020 an Ohio-based musicologist theorized that Beethoven retained partial hearing only in his left ear during the final years of his life, including a couple years after composing Symphony No. 9. This musicologist is said to be working on translation of numerous journals Beethoven kept later in his life, contents of which may shed light on the progression & timing of his hearing loss. This musicologist is considered an authority on Beethoven's life--though there are other equally respected experts who don't agree with this theory.

All I can conclude is that if (and it's a big if) Beethoven had any hearing at all when he composed the 9th, it was far from normal, such that he would be unable to hear the majority of instruments and voices in any way we recognize. So I circle back to his remarkable feat of composition despite severe auditory disability.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 11:41 PM Post #39,809 of 41,202
Here's my setup in its current (messy and unorganized) state. Not pictured: HD800s, LCD-X, LCD-2C, Expanse, SVS SB3000, lots of tubes, and WA22 2nd Gen. Definitely need to do some smart rearranging of things soon!

IMG_0157 (Custom).JPG

IMG_0158 (Custom).JPG

IMG_0159 (Custom).JPG

IMG_0160 (Custom).JPG

IMG_0162 (Custom).JPG
Does the susvara get used much with the cayin or mostly with the bliss?

Jan 8, 2024 at 12:10 AM Post #39,810 of 41,202

Users who are viewing this thread

Back