Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jan 8, 2024 at 1:29 AM Post #39,811 of 41,191
What speakers are those?Beautiful set up.
These are Nubert A-125 on which I put some wooden foil on and ordered a black front instead of white. :wink:

20230213_092745.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 8:49 AM Post #39,812 of 41,191
Does the susvara get used much with the cayin or mostly with the bliss?
Mostly on the Cayin. Absolutely sublime on HA-300.

Jan 8, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #39,813 of 41,191
Work bench #3 Still ... working on the rack... I feel very blessed to have found such awesome like new equipment that operates and looks so flawless
418438773_344641125002129_560469968189266053_n.jpg

Jan 8, 2024 at 11:02 PM Post #39,814 of 41,191
Work bench #3 Still ... working on the rack... I feel very blessed to have found such awesome like new equipment that operates and looks so flawless
418438773_344641125002129_560469968189266053_n.jpg
Brings back good memories of my two-channel analog days... oh the money I threw away back then! LOL!

Jan 8, 2024 at 11:36 PM Post #39,815 of 41,191
After #39,813 above 😳😯😍, ...... whew!

Jan 9, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #39,817 of 41,191
Hello all, this is my first post. I’ve been in the headphone “rabbit hole” for about a 18 months now, I started with an ifi zen dac v2 with the Hifiman edition XS which was just enough to peak my interest. After that I wanted to dip my toe in the separate component waters and opted for the topping E50/L50 combo (now in my office)and it was great just not enough to power for the headphones I had my eyes on. But still wasn’t ready to make the big $$ splash, so I added the topping A90d and the geshelli J2 AKM. Fast forward and I just upgraded some of my gear with the the HA-6A and the Eversolo ME. This is where I’m at for now. Sounds great to me, Denafrips ares 12th-1 on the way for that R2R sound that I now love thanks to the EF400 that I squeezed in for my pc audio solution. Would love to hear your suggestions and comparisons for my system

Attachments

• IMG_0287.jpeg
    IMG_0287.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Jan 9, 2024 at 10:04 AM Post #39,818 of 41,191
Hello all, this is my first post. I’ve been in the headphone “rabbit hole” for about a 18 months now, I started with an ifi zen dac v2 with the Hifiman edition XS which was just enough to peak my interest. After that I wanted to dip my toe in the separate component waters and opted for the topping E50/L50 combo (now in my office)and it was great just not enough to power for the headphones I had my eyes on. But still wasn’t ready to make the big $$ splash, so I added the topping A90d and the geshelli J2 AKM. Fast forward and I just upgraded some of my gear with the the HA-6A and the Eversolo ME. This is where I’m at for now. Sounds great to me, Denafrips ares 12th-1 on the way for that R2R sound that I now love thanks to the EF400 that I squeezed in for my pc audio solution. Would love to hear your suggestions and comparisons for my system
Pretty rapid for 18 months, you've done well! :) IMO next thing on your list should be a carefully chosen TOTL headphone.

Jan 9, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #39,819 of 41,191
Pretty rapid for 18 months, you've done well! :) IMO next thing on your list should be a carefully chosen TOTL headphone.
I agree! I didn’t list my full headphone lineup, since then I’ve added Hifiman he6-v2, focal clear MG, Audeze LCD-XC, abyss Diana v2. I have my sights set on a couple pairs right now considering tungsten’s, HE1K, and empyrean 2. But definitely waiting for canjam NYC to get a listen to as much as I can before I go in again.

Jan 9, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #39,820 of 41,191
I agree! I didn’t list my full headphone lineup, since then I’ve added Hifiman he6-v2, focal clear MG, Audeze LCD-XC, abyss Diana v2. I have my sights set on a couple pairs right now considering tungsten’s, HE1K, and empyrean 2. But definitely waiting for canjam NYC to get a listen to as much as I can before I go in again.
Damn--you're moving into this hobby at the speed of light! Those are all pretty serious headphones; one (HE6) is a former TOTL.

Take this with a grain of salt (because I'm a known amp 'ho), but IMO your headphone lineup is getting ahead of your amp lineup. It looks to me link you need a big/bad SS amp to bring out more of what your DACs and headphones can do. R2R DACs are wonderful for those who wish a departure from the clean/flat/accurate (and often boring & lifeless) sound of delta-sigma.

Jan 9, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #39,821 of 41,191
Damn--you're moving into this hobby at the speed of light! Those are all pretty serious headphones; one (HE6) is a former TOTL.

Take this with a grain of salt (because I'm a known amp 'ho), but IMO your headphone lineup is getting ahead of your amp lineup. It looks to me link you need a big/bad SS amp to bring out more of what your DACs and headphones can do*** R2R DACs are wonderful for those who wish a departure from the clean/flat/accurate (and often boring & lifeless) sound of delta-sigma.
*** especially if you are considering Mod House Audio Tungsten (double-sided magnet): impedance, 155 ohm average; sensitivity, 78 dB / mW average; =====> 86 dB / Volt average. Definitely well below a broad median value across headphones.

Jan 9, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #39,822 of 41,191

Take this with a grain of salt (because I'm a known amp 'ho), but IMO your headphone lineup is getting ahead of your amp lineup. It looks to me link you need a big/bad SS amp to bring out more of what your DACs and headphones can do. R2R DACs are wonderful for those who wish a departure from the clean/flat/accurate (and often boring & lifeless) sound of delta-sigma.
Absolutely, I’m definitely in it for the sound and feel, at this stage of the game I just want to enjoy the music I have no interest in analyzing performance from any perspective other then my own taste lol so clean/flat/accurate (lifeless) is not my goal the a90 is the “best” SS amp I’ve personally been able to listen to and the endless reviews of options make it even harder to decide. But as you can tell I’m in deep and I’m sure it won’t be long

Jan 9, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #39,823 of 41,191
*** especially if you are considering Mod House Audio Tungsten (double-sided magnet): impedance, 155 ohm average; sensitivity, 78 dB / mW average; =====> 86 dB / Volt average. Definitely well below a broad median value across headphones.
This is so true from what I’ve read and seen. I see lots of YouTubers using all sorts of amps for the heavy hitters including speaker amps kinda makes me feel like proper power almost isn’t available in a dedicated hp amp so I’m definitely open to all suggestions for something that would be adequate. It will give me something else to research and obsess over for the next few months

Jan 9, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #39,824 of 41,191
This is so true from what I’ve read and seen. I see lots of YouTubers using all sorts of amps for the heavy hitters including speaker amps kinda makes me feel like proper power almost isn’t available in a dedicated hp amp so I’m definitely open to all suggestions for something that would be adequate. It will give me something else to research and obsess over for the next few months
I don't know about YouTubers, but I suspect your best info source would be the dedicated thread on Head-Fi for the Tungsten. It has a great deal of commentary about suitable amplication for these power-hungry headphones, including electrical standards for predicting a suitable amp; and many posts of reviewers' & users' experiences using this or that amp for the Tungsten.

As it turns out, my top 2 SS amps (Violectric V281 & Wells Milo) are among those amps that have proven to be slam dunks for the Tungsten. In contrast to the rarified prices of TOTL SS amps, they're both downright affordable...

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #39,825 of 41,191

True, but I think, @MrBeans would still benefit from a current TOTL. HE1K, DianaV2 and Empy2 are pretty close already, but there is a little higher up, especially when one finds their own taste. Auditioning at CanJam is a wise move.

Regarding amps the HA-6A with some NOS tubes should serve him well, having a good SS amp is only a personal alternative if someone fancies that. I used to own some better SS amps like BHA1, GSX-Mini, iCan Siganture and never looked back since I switched to tubes. I feel if I wanted to have an SS option, what I really like would be out of budget (around 3K). Plus for a year now I have been completely satisfied with my system, preferring it to some much more expensive setups. So ultimately (after budget limitations) it is a matter of personal taste, that is what @MrBeans should figure out before investing a lot more in the hobby, but I think he is on the right track. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back