Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jan 10, 2024 at 1:21 AM Post #39,841 of 41,315
+ be aware that a limited reissue of the coveted V281 is underway by Violectric (Power Holdings: US distributor. 86 units left of 100 units)
Wow, I didn't realize it was released yet. Thanks for the heads up. Currently listening to my V281 (non-special reissue - just the boring old one.......).

It's an interesting price point. The OG was about the same price if I recall and is well regarded for its incredibleness. Shocked there are so many left in stock, but it isn't exactly cheap. If anyone here can't pick one up used, seriously consider this amp. It is really something special.

Jan 10, 2024 at 1:29 AM Post #39,842 of 41,315
Wow, I didn't realize it was released yet. Thanks for the heads up. Currently listening to my V281 (non-special reissue - just the boring old one.......).

It's an interesting price point. The OG was about the same price if I recall and is well regarded for its incredibleness. Shocked there are so many left in stock, but it isn't exactly cheap. If anyone here can't pick one up used, seriously consider this amp. It is really something special.
• Hey! .... the standard issue V281 is pretty special - at least to me. Other than being my favourite SS h/p/a .... certainly not 'boring' 😉.
• Anyway, Power Holdings has been taking reissue V281 orders for later delivery - which has been delayed a bit due to potentiometer relay availability (I think that I have this right).

Jan 10, 2024 at 1:32 AM Post #39,843 of 41,315
• Hey! .... the standard issue V281 is pretty special - at least to me. Other than being my favourite SS h/p/a .... certainly not 'boring' 😉.
• Anyway, Power Holdings has been taking reissue V281 orders for later delivery - which has been delayed a bit due to potentiometer relay availability (I think that I have this right).
Ha, yessir, I was being sassy. It's an awesome amp. Hope the reissue is at least this good!

Jan 10, 2024 at 1:37 AM Post #39,844 of 41,315
Ha, yessir, I was being sassy. It's an awesome amp. Hope the reissue is at least this good!
The reissue does include a nod to the present. One of the front 1/4" TRS 'outs' has been replaced by a 4.4mm pentaconn 'out' 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Jan 10, 2024 at 1:47 AM Post #39,845 of 41,315
The reissue does include a nod to the present. One of the front 1/4" TRS 'outs' has been replaced by a 4.4mm pentaconn 'out' 🤷🏻‍♂️.
The times, they are a changing... poor 1/4"

Jan 10, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #39,847 of 41,315
Jan 10, 2024 at 11:33 PM Post #39,849 of 41,315
Jan 10, 2024 at 11:35 PM Post #39,850 of 41,315
Jan 10, 2024 at 11:36 PM Post #39,851 of 41,315
10E5D39B-B291-4A86-936E-A4B493CF0619.jpeg

Jan 11, 2024 at 12:19 AM Post #39,853 of 41,315
whats up with the book between amp and cd player?
I am using that as a large surface area 'damping device' for the Audiolab CD transport: eliminate casing vibration from affecting laser read (😳). I am investigating wooden, MDF, other means to the same end 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 2:44 AM Post #39,854 of 41,315
@jonathan c
Are you jumping around with the Aeolus while listening? ^^
Or where are the vibrations coming from?
The CD drive?
Isn't the Audio lab damped well to eliminate the self introduced vibrations?

No offend, just curious questions. :)

Jan 11, 2024 at 6:17 AM Post #39,855 of 41,315
I am using that as a large surface area 'damping device' for the Audiolab CD transport: eliminate casing vibration from affecting laser read (😳). I am investigating wooden, MDF, other means to the same end 🤷🏻‍♂️.
I too played around with such damping/dampening (depending on what school you are in) materials in between stacked components back in my two-channel days in the 1990s and with great success! The heavier the better... within reason of course, once component casing begins to sag that may be too heavy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: LOL!). I first messed around with heavy exotic wood cutting boards (which I had to drill holes into for ventilation for my CD Player) but I ended up with a perfectly cut piece of 1.5-inch marble weighing ~15 kg with a felted bottom that had vent slots/channels cut into it that perfectly lined up with the vents on top of my Krell KAV300cd which surprisingly only weighed ~9.5 kg. One of the few Krell components that didn't weigh a ton! Thus one of the reasons why I wanted to weigh it down. The second reason was to better stack my lighter Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1 and Sony TC-RX606ES tape decks on top of it and not have to worry about the mechanical vibrations and noise from them especially when recording and ripping CDs down to mix tapes for family members. I had spoken to Krell directly and they assured me that if the piece of marble was cut to the exact dimensions of my KAV300cd that the component casing could hold it plus the ~10 kg in cassette decks on top of it with no issues. If I recall correctly, the max "direct" stacking weight (proportionate to all four corners) they gave me was around 40 or 50 kg. Of course they heavily stressed proper ventilation which my stack setup had plenty of being an "out-in-the-open stack" with thick third party feet/discs/cones added (placed) under all components.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back