Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jan 9, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #39,826 of 41,315
True, but I think, @MrBeans would still benefit from a current TOTL. HE1K, DianaV2 and Empy2 are pretty close already, but there is a little higher up, especially when one finds their own taste. Auditioning at CanJam is a wise move.

Regarding amps the HA-6A with some NOS tubes should serve him well, having a good SS amp is only a personal alternative if someone fancies that. I used to own some better SS amps like BHA1, GSX-Mini, iCan Siganture and never looked back since I switched to tubes. I feel if I wanted to have an SS option, what I really like would be out of budget (around 3K). Plus for a year now I have been completely satisfied with my system, preferring it to some much more expensive setups. So ultimately (after budget limitations) it is a matter of personal taste, that is what @MrBeans should figure out before investing a lot more in the hobby, but I think he is on the right track. :)
I like tubes, too--a lot, in fact. But I also love really well-done SS amps. That's why I have both types here.

I have some constraints, mainly cost and size. I simply cannot fit any of the large frame tube amps (TC or OTL) often praised here. SS is easier to fit, but no doubt the atypical case design and small footprint of the V281 and Wells Milo helped me out a lot by conserving space.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #39,827 of 41,315
I don't know about YouTubers, but I suspect your best info source would be the dedicated thread on Head-Fi for the Tungsten. It has a great deal of commentary about suitable amplication for these power-hungry headphones, including electrical standards for predicting a suitable amp; and many posts of reviewers' & users' experiences using this or that amp for the Tungsten.

As it turns out, my top 2 SS amps (Violectric V281 & Wells Milo) are among those amps that have proven to be slam dunks for the Tungsten. In contrast to the rarified prices of TOTL SS amps, they're both downright affordable...
+ be aware that a limited reissue of the coveted V281 is underway by Violectric (Power Holdings: US distributor. 86 units left of 100 units)

Jan 9, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #39,828 of 41,315
5915A7C6-2B54-4841-A048-6617BE43F146.jpeg

Jan 9, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #39,829 of 41,315
+ be aware that a limited reissue of the coveted V281 is underway by Violectric (Power Holdings: US distributor. 86 units left of 100 units)
I saw that!! After your last reply and curiosity got to me so I was already on the website just to browse and saw the limited reissue. Unfortunately now is not the time, hopefully down the road I’ll get a chance to listen to all the wonderful options available and I may start with the v281 the size is perfect for my setup as space is limited for me as well looks like a great option

Jan 9, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #39,830 of 41,315
I was one of the first to place an order for the reissue. It's a remarkable opportunity to pick up the last production run of one of the great SS all-arounds in headphone audio. I'm surprised this reissue didn't sell out during week-1...

The V281 is one of the amps I would resoundingly recommend to @MrBeans (terrific screen name!). As you and I both know, the V281 works well with every planar and dynamic headphone. To my ears it always sounds above average (compared to other SS designs), and often sounds exceptional.
  • The V281 has the "side benefit" (to me an essential benefit) of being the best preamp I've ever had in any of my desktop systems. Its input/output flexibility and granular gain adjustments (separate gain for headphone vs preamp output!) are extremely useful.

Jan 9, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #39,831 of 41,315
I was one of the first to place an order for the reissue. It's a remarkable opportunity to pick up the last production run of one of the great SS all-arounds in headphone audio. I'm surprised this reissue didn't sell out during week-1...

The V281 is one of the amps I would resoundingly recommend to @MrBeans (terrific screen name!). As you and I both know, the V281 works well with every planar and dynamic headphone. To my ears it always sounds above average (compared to other SS designs), and often sounds exceptional.
  • The V281 has the "side benefit" (to me an essential benefit) of being the best preamp I've ever had in any of my desktop systems. Its input/output flexibility and granular gain adjustments (separate gain for headphone vs preamp output!) are extremely useful.
It really does check all the boxes. Honestly your passion for that amp is exactly what I’m looking for. It must press all the right buttons for you, and that’s really what I’m trying to achieve from this hobby. It’s a shame to know it could be here and gone so quickly without the opportunity to land a one but maybe I’ll get lucky and find one secondhand when the time comes around.

Jan 9, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #39,832 of 41,315
It really does check all the boxes. Honestly your passion for that amp is exactly what I’m looking for. It must press all the right buttons for you, and that’s really what I’m trying to achieve from this hobby. It’s a shame to know it could be here and gone so quickly without the opportunity to land a one but maybe I’ll get lucky and find one secondhand when the time comes around.
If there's one thing I learned in this hobby is that there's always an opportunity to buy something if you're patient enough. Take your time and enjoy the music

Jan 9, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #39,833 of 41,315
If there's one thing I learned in this hobby is that there's always an opportunity to buy something if you're patient enough. Take your time and enjoy the music
Yes sir, this is where I stand now I’ve already got some time and a fair bit of mulah invested, now it’s time to sit back and listen. Can’t wait to hear all my vinyl and playlists on the new gear. And maybe the right deal will find me

Jan 10, 2024 at 12:11 AM Post #39,838 of 41,315
Jan 10, 2024 at 12:56 AM Post #39,840 of 41,315
Nice photo! What are your impressions of that handsome G73 driver tube?
Thanks!

It’s really head and shoulders above everything else I’ve heard. I started using it a year ago and haven’t had the desire to switch to any other input tube since. Except a red label version I sometimes put in for some more dynamism and “fun.” It’s got an effortlessly detailed sound with a huge stage and great dynamics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back