Neumann NDH 30
Dec 17, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #4,501 of 4,939
I admire you both for experimenting with these things, but I’m inclined to think that as the cost of a bit of dampening material is negligible the manufacturer will have most probably have already come up with the best solution. You may stumble on something that works well for you in certain ways for certain genres, but better overall will be doubtful I would have thought. Or is that just my excuse for being lazy and not trying these things myself? 😉😂
It's really almost pointless to dampen open backs but since I have already changed pads and removed the orange filter, might as well go further lol. Plus (maybe) I'm just adding more valid reason to make me buy the black 30 :sweat_smile:

Dec 17, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #4,502 of 4,939
It's really almost pointless to dampen open backs but since I have already changed pads and removed the orange filter, might as well go further lol. Plus (maybe) I'm just adding more valid reason to make me buy the black 30 :sweat_smile:
Is NDH-30 black (which is lovely in sound and in appearance!!) to be the direct result of the old adage: “If it [silver] ain’t broke, fix it ‘til it is”? 🤣🤣🤣

Dec 18, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #4,503 of 4,939
“Here’s looking at you”, ThEvil0ne 😉:
CB4FC82E-82CE-4489-9B85-A5AE470EF084.jpeg

Dec 18, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #4,505 of 4,939
If one has both black and silver NDH-30, depending upon the other gear, one can have an all-black setup, an all-silver setup, or one of two ‘salt & pepper’ setups! 👍 🤪 👍

Dec 18, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #4,507 of 4,939
For me, the orange inserts are the killer !! 👍

Dec 18, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #4,508 of 4,939
Is NDH-30 black (which is lovely in sound and in appearance!!) to be the direct result of the old adage: “If it [silver] ain’t broke, fix it ‘til it is”? 🤣🤣🤣
In my early teens no broken transistor radios, clock radios, boomboxes and tube TVs were safe from me. I harvest speakers and capacitors from my dad’s electronic repair shop side-gig. I always get in trouble for it but playing around with the speakers I harvested running them in parallels and series and trying different capacitors for every driver to find that perfect sound as they slowly play into a whisper 🤣🤣 They’re all lined up at the side of my bed close to my ear ahhh satisfying. Built my first “booster” (amplifier) and 2 way speaker a few years after that which suck 😭 😂

“Here’s looking at you”, ThEvil0ne😉:CB4FC82E-82CE-4489-9B85-A5AE470EF084.jpeg
Soon.. soon.. 😅

Dec 19, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #4,509 of 4,939
I believe you; I've read from other places it's very good. As you say, only shortcoming should be that the headphone out is not extreme powerful. I have seen some people using extra headphone amps with the RME ADI, mostly for planars I guess.
I have NDH-30 and RME ADI-2 DAC FS. I engage the Crossfeed feature to get the most from the combination. I've also tried the Schiit Midgard headamp and using the RME as a DAC and it improves the listenable sound in the mids and high frequencies from my perspective. Without spending many thousands of $$, I would state that the RME ADI-2 DAC FS is a solid foundational piece in any headphone listening environment (and home stereo as well) which can be further enhanced to listener's taste with the addition of a headamp be it SS, Class A or a tube unit as one prefers.
As a digression to this post, I also use the Modius (E) as a DAC feeding my Midgard in Balance mode: I can"t put my finger on it, but it is a very good 'fun' combination to listen to. There are options at lower costs.
I vote RME at the top of the pile as an all in one unit in my limited exposure to head amps; and as a DAC; with many features to tailor the sound.

Dec 21, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #4,511 of 4,939
Ok i have a new super respect for these cans. Now listening with better quality sound. Absolutely magnificent on stuff streaming at 5000 - 6000 kbps just wow!
The scaling on these are much more noticeable than my other cans.
Was a bit veiled in comparison to what im now using as a sound source.
Here's a great example of a fantastic recording at 5000kbps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231221-145121_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg
    Screenshot_20231221-145121_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Dec 26, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #4,512 of 4,939
Just got the ThEvil0nE sheepskin leather pads.. I waited for so long.. finally arrived. Getting the pad is a pain in the somewhere.

When I first press play - Ohhhh... I see what you are talking about.. Very very nice. The bass just got slightly deeper and more pronounced and music punched slightly harder with more energy across the board. My main concern dissolves completely when the vocal and mid-range stay true to the original. Just the bass and perhaps a little slight treble energy. I can hear the cymbal with slightly more clarity.. very very slight but I can definately hear it.

Love it, love it.. This is exactly what I am hoping for.... and oh man the subtle sub-bass presence is so addicting. It's pretty subtle and not in your face.. just like adding a sub on level 1 that blends so nicely.. so nice the sub ceases to exist... but it's subtly present.

Thanks, TheEvil0ne for pad-rolling the 6th time before he gets this right. I only do it once and thanks to him.. By the way, the NDH30 looks slightly more premium with that shiny leather pad.

1703632147336.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #4,513 of 4,939
I think Neumann should include a leather pad for headfiers who use it solely for music enjoyment. Just like Fiio FT5. - The NDH 30 becomes a very musical headphone with the leather pad, change to stock for monitoring. - Best of both worlds.

Dec 26, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #4,514 of 4,939
After much testing.. I am not sure I can get used to the new pad sound. even though I like the slighly increase in sub bass - but the overall sound is not as accurate as I hope it be.. kind of break the perfect original sound. I find the vocal recessed to make way for the bass, I switch back to orignal pad for now. But overall, its has been a fun journey.

Also after spending 4-6 hrs a day with the NDH 30, I cant get used to any other headphones, lol. So I am stuck. I might try the HD800s sometimes in the future.

Questions: Does the HD800s has more bass than the NDH 30?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back