Sennheiser HD439 review
Jan 3, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #46 of 167
got these headphones two months ago. comfort is top notch but tends to fall of your head if you start nodding hard or just turning down your head in short, cant do your chores with these. 
wink.gif
 sound keeps getting better as time flies. im not an audiophile but the changes are obvious. and these phones made me realize how bad my files were. these are revealing headphones, they punish you when you play bad records lol but i have to confrim this:

i hear hisses before every song plays the first note, im using a FiiO e6 and an android phone and the amp is not on full volume? my music ranges from 96-320 kbps, is this from my music or is there something wrong with my set up? :)

Jan 3, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #47 of 167
got these headphones two months ago. comfort is top notch but tends to fall of your head if you start nodding hard or just turning down your head in short, cant do your chores with these. :wink:  sound keeps getting better as time flies. im not an audiophile but the changes are obvious. and these phones made me realize how bad my files were. these are revealing headphones, they punish you when you play bad records lol but i have to confrim this:

i hear hisses before every song plays the first note, im using a FiiO e6 and an android phone and the amp is not on full volume? my music ranges from 96-320 kbps, is this from my music or is there something wrong with my set up? :)

The hiss may be a problem when you charging and using the Fiio e6 at the same time. 96 kbps for an audio file are really bad xP . 320 Kbps decent. When I use my e6 I always use at full volume and there are no hiss noticeable.

Jan 3, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #48 of 167
got these headphones two months ago. comfort is top notch but tends to fall of your head if you start nodding hard or just turning down your head in short, cant do your chores with these. :wink:  sound keeps getting better as time flies. im not an audiophile but the changes are obvious. and these phones made me realize how bad my files were. these are revealing headphones, they punish you when you play bad records lol but i have to confrim this:

The hiss may be a problem when you charging and using the Fiio e6 at the same time. 96 kbps for an audio file are really bad xP . 320 Kbps decent. When I use my e6 I always use at full volume and there are no hiss noticeable.

Jan 4, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #49 of 167
Quote:

wow you got me there! i am guilty of using E6 while charging lol. i also noticed that my damn EQ is somewhat responsible with the hiss im hearing. im now listening on flat with e6 on eq2 and the hiss is all gone (plus not using my amp while charging) 
evil_smiley.gif

with flat, the headphones really workin' it. i just realized that im so used to listening with bloated sounds that im losing some of the quality on songs.  

will look for a DAP really soon so i can use FLAC formats and oust my 96 kbps song haha

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #50 of 167
Oh boy, the joys of 24/96 music. The difference is amazing even on the lowly iPod Touch sans amp/dac and using the Flac Player Pro app.

And if you really want to get the best out of them, try using JRiver's Media Center program on your PC to play them. You won't believe the difference in output from something like itunes or winamp. Use the same file and do a Itunes v Media Center comparision. Ace!

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #51 of 167
sorry to bring the thread off topic but could anyone explain to me the naming convention of the sennheiser range of headphones. I used to own a HD497 which I've had for over 10 years. But i do know that this HD439 is newer... So what's the logic in there? and it only seems to happen in the HD4XX range (not too sure about the HD5XX models)

Jan 4, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #52 of 167
im not sure if this answers your question but for the 4x9 series. HD 419 has the most amount of bass while HD 449 is more on clarity. in between them are a mix of bass and clarity which HD 439 belongs. the higher the number in between 4 and 9 the more clarity it has. 
L3000.gif

Jan 4, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #53 of 167
Quote:
im not sure if this answers your question but for the 4x9 series. HD 419 has the most amount of bass while HD 449 is more on clarity. in between them are a mix of bass and clarity which HD 439 belongs. the higher the number in between 4 and 9 the more clarity it has. 
L3000.gif

basshead.gif
confused_face_2.gif

Wow ok...That's quite a revelation to me, Thanks drewfig
pity i can't think of any places to test them all at once.
Still doesn't solve the question though...google turned up nothing either

Jan 4, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #54 of 167
My take on it is...

The first number in the sequence determines what 'area' the headphone is designed for. i.e. home hifi listening (HD5xx), lightweight all purpose (HD4xx) etc..
The second number in the sequence is what level in the range it is (HDx3x, HDx4x, HDx5x).
The third seems to depict the revision of the headphones, i.e. the bigger the number the newer it is, i.e. HD448 was the previous version to the HD449.

What do others think?

Jan 4, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #55 of 167
Quote:
Oh boy, the joys of 24/96 music. The difference is amazing even on the lowly iPod Touch sans amp/dac and using the Flac Player Pro app.

And if you really want to get the best out of them, try using JRiver's Media Center program on your PC to play them. You won't believe the difference in output from something like itunes or winamp. Use the same file and do a Itunes v Media Center comparision. Ace!

will look into! thanks. im just new to this hobby so all those suggestions are perfect 

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #56 of 167
Quote:
My take on it is...

The first number in the sequence determines what 'area' the headphone is designed for. i.e. home hifi listening (HD5xx), lightweight all purpose (HD4xx) etc..
The second number in the sequence is what level in the range it is (HDx3x, HDx4x, HDx5x).
The third seems to depict the revision of the headphones, i.e. the bigger the number the newer it is, i.e. HD448 was the previous version to the HD449.

What do others think?

Hmmm, I never thought about it that way. You may have a point

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #57 of 167
Quote:
My take on it is...

What do others think?

That's what I roughly thought as well, but since it's been 10+ years since my HD497, I couldn't really remember where the last number was at.
Anybody else can verify what drewfig said "the higher the middle number... the less bass it has". Because that would be an awesome way to quickly work through their series of headphones.

Thanks guys

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #58 of 167
Quote:
That's what I roughly thought as well, but since it's been 10+ years since my HD497, I couldn't really remember where the last number was at.
Anybody else can verify what drewfig said "the higher the middle number... the less bass it has". Because that would be an awesome way to quickly work through their series of headphones.

Thanks guys

I know for a fact;

HD598  less bass
HD558 more bass

Jan 5, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #59 of 167
ok, now i gave time into my music files and converted 2 of my favorite CD's into FLAC, and they're my first! Incubus - A Crow Left Of The Murder and Incubus - Monuments and Melodies, yes im a fanboy lol. 
L3000.gif

compared 2 songs from 320 and 192 kbps against FLAC files, its my first time and all i can say is the lossless files are awesome! i can hear some difference against mp3's especially those effects coming from the DJ. flac is just smooth and it kinda eliminated those muddy side of the song. its so clear! no more hissing from my amp too.

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #60 of 167
Quote:

Thanks guys

kookoo <3 but that doesn't include HD 600/650 does it? Because HD 650 has more bass right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back