sansa clip+ vs. sony x1060
Feb 7, 2010 at 2:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

ramintop

100+ Head-Fier
hey guys, I'm buying a new mp3 player because my cowon d2 has died on me and I'm choosing between the sansa clip+ and the sony x1060. the price difference between the two is incredible! the sony is 10x more expensive, so my question to those who own both or have listened to both, how is the sound quality difference and how much more powerful is the sony? I need it to drive my ultrasone hfi-780, will the sony or sansa be capable to do that? thanks in advance for the help.

Feb 7, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #3 of 37
its a hardware problem I think. First it started freezing, then when I tried to restart it after it freezed it didnt open so I had to press the reset button. so I tried reinstalling the software, but it didnt open at all after this, then I tried the tcctool solution posted in iAudiophile and it worked (after A LOT of tries let me add), but now I cant put any songs on the device's memory or it freezes as soon as I open the music icon, and even from the external memory it freezes a whole freakin' lot! so yeah its not totally dead but its unusable to me, sadly.
frown.gif

Feb 7, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #4 of 37
Clip+ is more on the cold side of the sound while without EQ X1060 is on the warm side of the sound. however, CLIP does not have a working EQ but you can EQ the X easy. I cannot tell you if it can drive 780 because when I still have the X I didn't have a full can to test.

Feb 7, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #5 of 37
Two very different DAPs. I have both. I like both. You can load 24GB (give or take) onto the 8GB Clip+ ($62 on Amazon) via 16GB micro card, but that will cost you another $45 or so. So that combo is about $110 for a very nice 24GB DAP. The Sonys are $338 for 32GB and $278 for 16GB. So the multiple is 3x not 10x.

SQ-wise, I think it depends on the phones. The CK10s I own diminish the SQ gap between the two DAPs, when I have flac files on the Clip+ and 192 and higher WMA and MP3s on the X.

EQ-wise, the Sony is a much better purchase, if you need it. I like the Clear bass in particular (the only slider I use).

As for the power to drive your phones, that I can not answer. I do have to crank both players to near max for some tracks, usually older rips with less compression in the original mastering (classic rock, for example). But with newer music, much of it mastered for loudness, that isn't the case.

Another option is to watch for Woot! sales on the Fuze, which has basically the same SQ as the Clip+. I just nabbed one for $27 (2GB) and plan on using my 16GB micro card with it.

Feb 7, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #6 of 37
thanks guys for all the help. it seems like I'll go for the x1050 because the x1060 is incredibly pricey, but I still need help about the capability of the sony to drive full-sized cans like the ultrasone hfi-780. thanks guys.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two very different DAPs. I have both. I like both. You can load 24GB (give or take) onto the 8GB Clip+ ($62 on Amazon) via 16GB micro card, but that will cost you another $45 or so. So that combo is about $110 for a very nice 24GB DAP. The Sonys are $338 for 32GB and $278 for 16GB. So the multiple is 3x not 10x.

Another option is to watch for Woot! sales on the Fuze, which has basically the same SQ as the Clip+. I just nabbed one for $27 (2GB) and plan on using my 16GB micro card with it.

thanks for the help. I'm buying from dubai, and the prices are $460 for the 32gb sony and $40 for the 2gb sansa clip+. I already have a 16gb microsd that I used with my cowon so thats more than 10x price difference!
tongue.gif

Feb 7, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #7 of 37
To me, there's no contest. The sound on the Sony X series is the best I've heard on a portable media device. (That may change when I get a Nationite S:Flo though)

Clip is a good device, but the difference is substancial.

Feb 7, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #8 of 37
Why not wait for the Sony A840 series? It is being released very soon (today in Australia
biggrin.gif
) and has the Sony X's digital amp without all the extra features like wi fi or touchscreen that are pushing up the price. That's my strategy
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_recording /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not wait for the Sony A840 series? It is being released very soon (today in Australia
biggrin.gif
) and has the Sony X's digital amp without all the extra features like wi fi or touchscreen that are pushing up the price. That's my strategy
smily_headphones1.gif

thats true - but the X series are being heavily discounted (in UK at least)

therefore you may find a discontinued X is cheaper than a new released A ?

Feb 7, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #11 of 37
I used to think that the gap between the X and the Clip+ was pretty deep, but now that I started listening to flac files on the Clip+ with the CK10s, I don't feel it's as wide as before. That was my point about phones. And no EQ needed on the Clip+ for me. I think phones can make a difference is all.

Feb 7, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #12 of 37
I haven't tried the Clip+ but do have a Fuze - and whilst the SQ is very very good for the price (very punchy bass) - I found it sounded rather grainy

the X sounds luverly
smily_headphones1.gif

I can listen to the X over long periods without fatigue

Feb 8, 2010 at 8:12 AM Post #14 of 37
No option to delete music files from X itself, except FORMAT option (LOL)

In term of SQ, i dont find X "overwhelming" or "substantially" good over my other players. Maybe my ears problem...

Feb 8, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #15 of 37
I have never tried the X series but i have never heard bad about it. I do however love my 4gb clip+, with 2x 8gb microsd cards with a 16gb in the mail. Just waiting for the damn 32gb to be available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back