Sansa Clip+ Impressions
Jul 27, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #196 of 317
I already rockboxed the Clip+ and it happily plays 24/96 FLAC files. My Colorfly C3 and CK4 can't even do that!

Nor can your Clip+ really. It converts everything to 16/44.1. In the recent development versions Rockbox on the Clip+ can be switched between 44100 Hz and 48000 Hz sample rate. Every audio track of a different sample rate gets sample rate converted using a simple rate converter without anti-aliasing.

Loading your Clip+ with 24/96 is a complete waste of disk space and time. You would be much better off to use a good quality sample rate converter on PC to convert the audio to 16/44.1 and then load that on to the Clip+.

Jul 27, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #197 of 317
Quote:
So does it sound better to you than those Colorfly players?

Sound like someone is itchy for a C3... 
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 27, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #198 of 317
Quote:
Sound like someone is itchy for a C3... 
tongue_smile.gif

Nope. I've read enough about it to know it would bug me, regardless of how good it is reported to sound.
wink.gif

Jul 27, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #199 of 317
Quote:
Nor can your Clip+ really. It converts everything to 16/44.1. In the recent development versions Rockbox on the Clip+ can be switched between 44100 Hz and 48000 Hz sample rate. Every audio track of a different sample rate gets sample rate converted using a simple rate converter without anti-aliasing.

Loading your Clip+ with 24/96 is a complete waste of disk space and time. You would be much better off to use a good quality sample rate converter on PC to convert the audio to 16/44.1 and then load that on to the Clip+.

I just wanted to test if it would play them. I have bought the dbPoweramp suite so I can convert as much as I like :wink:
Memory space is no issue but as long as it plays the files i'm happy.
I dragged some favorite music, all FLAC, on my card and wanted to play it on the C3 and it gave "Play Error" on many files. That's very irritating. I then tried the CK4 and the same happened.
The Clip+ at least converted them on the fly. That's MUCH better imho.

I agree anything above 16/44.1 is not very useful for a device that will mostly be used on the go and seldom in good and quiet places. I'm just happy these devices don't throw error messages at me but just play the files without complaining. That's what user friendly is.

Jul 27, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #200 of 317
Does anyone know the difference between the ##MUSIC# and MUSIC folders?
Do they have different uses?

Jul 27, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #201 of 317
Quote:
Does anyone know the difference between the ##MUSIC# and MUSIC folders?
Do they have different uses?

The files with the hashtags around them can be deleted. Just put your music in the other Music folder.
If you ever boot into the Sansa firmware again (and really, why would you want to?) the hashtag surrounded files you deleted will be regenerated.

Jul 27, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #202 of 317
Some peeps are just too damn fast here... :D

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Jul 27, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #203 of 317
Thanks a lot for your quick and clear reply!

Aug 2, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #204 of 317
Quote:
So does it sound better to you than those Colorfly players?

When you asked this it was all too new to me but now I can answer you.

No, it doesn't.
But the difference isn't so big that I won't use the Sansa's.
The great advantage they have over the Colorflies is that they are very small and light and easier to use.
After buying and trying all this stuff (see my profile) I have noticed: ease of use > sound quality (as long as the difference isn't too much).
And I can tinker with Rockbox to make it to my liking.

When I am at home and really want to listen to good music I will go for the CK4 but on the move my Zip wins from the iPod Nano 7G.

Hope this answers your question.

Aug 2, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #205 of 317
Quote:

No, it doesn't.
The great advantage they have over the Colorflies is that they are very small and light and easier to use.
After buying and trying all this stuff (see my profile) I have noticed: ease of use > sound quality (as long as the difference isn't too much).

When I am at home and really want to listen to good music I will go for the CK4 but on the move my Zip wins from the iPod Nano 7G.

Yes, it does answer the question. 
I just looked at your profile, and it looks like you have been very busy trying all kinds of stuff.
smile_phones.gif

What you said here...

I have noticed: ease of use > sound quality (as long as the difference isn't too much).

This sounds like how I would feel as well. In fact, that's why I would not buy the Colorfly C3, even with all the overwhelmingly positive comments on its sound....because there are too many features I enjoy from my other players that are not there, and I know it would end up bugging me. 

Aug 2, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #206 of 317
Quote:
This sounds like how I would feel as well. In fact, that's why I would not buy the Colorfly C3, even with all the overwhelmingly positive comments on its sound....because there are too many features I enjoy from my other players that are not there, and I know it would end up bugging me. 

Then you would hate it, sell it cheap,  and I could pick up a real sweet deal on a second C3. 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 2, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #207 of 317
Quote:

No, it doesn't.

Besides which, if you break a $35 Clip Zip your won't be nearly as upset as you would be if you break a $200+ player. Sometimes the 4GB Clip Zip
sells for as little as $25 on a labor day weekend sale or black Friday weekend sale.

Jan 12, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #208 of 317
Not only it's waste of space, but in fact the quality of sound is worse (probably because of that on-the-fly downsampling). Specifically, harmonic distortions are clearly hear-able which I just found myself listening to a test frequency tones - and then confirmed by finding a post of Marlene (http://marlene-d.blogspot.be/2012/10/review-sansa-clip.html).

Remark: I just bought Sansa Clip+ after doing some research in the internet. First thing I listened some test sine waves - and it was fine on 44kHz and on 48kHz with stock firmware. Then I Rock-Boxed it and got significant harmonic distortions at frequencies above ~11kHz. Resampling sine wave files to 44kHz got the issue to disappear entirely.

Personally, my not very well trained and not that young ears can hardly hear anything above 15kHz, so downsampling to 44/16 wouldn't make any audible quality loss for me. And, RockBox is so much more convenient than stock firmware...

Jan 13, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #209 of 317
i start to realize, that most of the "audiophiles" check the price tag first, then the product. sansa is good, i did read so much but about other players, like the hiss issue in the 1st gen rocco (is rocco? :-\ ) or the huge high roll-off on the hifiman. I barely read any bad about this precious. expensive means audiophile now?

Jan 14, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #210 of 317
Quote:
  how its sq compares to the iphone 4 with the standard sansa earbuds...
  Oh good grief. What's the point of comparing SQ through crap? It's like saying "Does Mrs. Butterworth's pancake mix taste better than Aunt Jemima with 1/2 inch of thick, pasty poo spread on them?" Both will taste like crap.

Translation.

The sansa ear buds are better then a lot of other cheap ear buds. But you won't get the best quality of either an iPhone or Clip/Zip with the standard earphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back