Sansa Clip+ Impressions
Jul 6, 2010 at 8:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 317

JosephKim

1000+ Head-Fier
After a little less than a month of waiting I finally received my Sansa Clip+ in the mail. FYI I ordered them from Dell.com--great deal for an 8gb ($40) but I cant believe how long it took.

What I can say about this player is that it is tiny! I love the looks--very simple and minimalistic. It is also a great deal to get a large capacity at such a low price. Microsd cards can be found fairly cheap online so you can make the capacity even bigger!

Now about the sound quality. I was previously using an Ipod nano 2nd gen and I actually prefer the IPOD to the clip. I think the headphone out on the sansa is very weak; but what can you expect from a player so small? I have to put the volume up very high for it to have the same 'oomph' as the nano. Also, the sansa sounds a tiny bit muffled compared to the nano, using the same IEMs and earbuds.

I was expecting to get a step up in sound quality because of the rave reviews of the clip and the ipod bashing that often goes on around here. I find that the sound quality of the clip is on the same level if not worse than the ipod. However, for the slight difference the Sansa Clip+ is still a great deal for a portable dap.

P.S. I have not rockboxed my clip so I dont know if that will make any difference at all with the volume/sound quality.

Jul 6, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #2 of 317
Yeah, the sound quality of the Clip+ is vastly overrated in my opinion - its good for the price but nothing to write home about.  I use one as a tiny backup should my main device (J3) carp it.  I wouldn't recommend one for use with high end iems on a regular basis, put it that way.

Quote:
After a little less than a month of waiting I finally received my Sansa Clip+ in the mail. FYI I ordered them from Dell.com--great deal for an 8gb ($40) but I cant believe how long it took.

What I can say about this player is that it is tiny! I love the looks--very simple and minimalistic. It is also a great deal to get a large capacity at such a low price. Microsd cards can be found fairly cheap online so you can make the capacity even bigger!

Now about the sound quality. I was previously using an Ipod nano 2nd gen and I actually prefer the IPOD to the clip. I think the headphone out on the sansa is very weak; but what can you expect from a player so small? I have to put the volume up very high for it to have the same 'oomph' as the nano. Also, the sansa sounds a tiny bit muffled compared to the nano, using the same IEMs and earbuds.

I was expecting to get a step up in sound quality because of the rave reviews of the clip and the ipod bashing that often goes on around here. I find that the sound quality of the clip is on the same level if not worse than the ipod. However, for the slight difference the Sansa Clip+ is still a great deal for a portable dap.

P.S. I have not rockboxed my clip so I dont know if that will make any difference at all with the volume/sound quality.

Jul 6, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #4 of 317
Again, Sansa player has good value on its' price.  However, I keep on seeing people in this forum over-rating sansa players.

Jul 6, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #5 of 317
While I like SanDisk's line of Sansa players (I own the not very liked nor hyped Sansa View), the hype of especially the Clip (+) and also the Fuze here at Head-fi seems a bit like the emperor's new clothes. Well perhaps not completely, the Sansa players are fine DAP:s but they are not head and shoulders above other manufacturer's products. I think it might have to do with the Clip getting good results in RMAA tests, showing quite a flat frequency response, thus leading people to the conclusion that it is a neutral and transparent and therefore good source.

People who decide with their ears might not always understand this hype. If they do not think it sounds better than other DAP:s they have heard, does it mean that there's something wrong with their hearing?

Anyway, enjoy your Clip+. You will grow accustomed to the sound and the Clip has got one great selling point - you get a lot for a small amount of money!

Jul 6, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #6 of 317

Quote:
Again, Sansa player has good value on its' price.  However, I keep on seeing people in this forum over-rating sansa players.

People see a flat Freq response graph and then goes nuts over the sansa players. When in reality they sound weak and thin and boring. I had a fuse and gave it away cause it did not even sound as good as my old Zune30.

There are alot of sansa freaks around here that go into every thread about any other player and talk the sansa players up like they are handed down from god.

In reality they may have a flat freq curve but they are weak powered, thin sounding, not a great stereo soundstage and the EQ is nearly worthless cause they cause distortion.

Vastly over rated here.

Jul 6, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #7 of 317
Yes I was definitely less than impressed with the clip+ sound quality. My search now continues for a DAP with noticeable, superior SQ. I will hold onto my clip because I think it is still good when youre on the move, working out, etc. Can anyone recommend their favorites just for kicks?

Jul 6, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #8 of 317

Quote:
Yes I was definitely less than impressed with the clip+ sound quality. My search now continues for a DAP with noticeable, superior SQ. I will hold onto my clip because I think it is still good when youre on the move, working out, etc. Can anyone recommend their favorites just for kicks?

Ask 10 people for recommendations and you will get 10 different replies. Well, seriously I own a Cowon S9, a Creative Zen Touch, a Creative Zen Vision:M (with a Fiio E5 headphone amp), a Sansa View (LOD to Fiio E5), iRiver H120 and Kenwood HD20GA7.

Out of these I would recommend the Kenwood as number 1 and the Cowon S9 as number 2 (not having listened too much to the iRiver). However the Kenwood is about 5 years old and quite difficult to get hold of, so the most realistic recommendation would be the S9 or the J3 which is an updated version of the S9.

Jul 6, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #11 of 317
Jul 6, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #12 of 317

Quote:

I have a nano 2g and Clip+ like yourself.  I agree 100% with everything you said.  For SQ Nano 2g > Clip+.  Thats coming from an Apple hater too.

Jul 7, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #14 of 317
How about the Cowon i9? Small with the same BBE+ effects that the S9 and J3 has got. It can play video but the 2" screen is too small so it seems to be better for just music. The memory is not expandable though...

Jul 9, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #15 of 317
Well I have listened to the clip for awhile now, and I am still disappointed with the sound quality. I thought I would grow accustomed to it. Overall it just sounds a little veiled and muddy and I have to crank up the volume to get any clarity. I would still say a good deal for what I paid when I need to grab a player on the go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back