Sansa Clip+ Impressions
Jan 11, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #166 of 317
Yeah, well, like I said, if you don't use the clip, it probably will be fine and last forever. 
rolleyes.gif
  All I did with mine was gently clip it to a tee shirt pocket on a daily basis for about 3 weeks before it broke.  The hinge of the clip is connected to the body of the Sansa by two very thin pieces of plastic that acts as both the retaining and pivot point of the clip.  So that pivot point is subject to a lot of stress and wear and tear.  That tiny part should have been made of metal or at least a much thicker piece of plastic.  It is inevitable, imo, that it will eventually wear through and break if one actually uses the clip on a frequent basis.  For those of you who's clip hasn't broken yet, good luck.

Despite the defective design of the clip mechanism, I still like the Clip+ and will probably either keep it and sand off the remains of the clip attachment point or replace it and this time only use the clip when absolutely necessary so as to extend its life.

Jan 11, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #167 of 317
Hmmm, I should go remove the clip from mine.  I rarely use it (sometimes I clip it to my lanyard and one clip+ is clipped to the headband of my TMA-1) so for most of the time, the clip is just added bulk in my pocket.

Jan 11, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #168 of 317
need urgent help guys, how come my 8gb clip+ cannot read a sansa class 4 16gb microsd? when i insert it in an sd adaptor and put it on my card reader, it reads fine. is there something wrong with my clip+? TIA

Jan 12, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #170 of 317

Quote:
Yeah, well, like I said, if you don't use the clip, it probably will be fine and last forever. 
rolleyes.gif
  All I did with mine was gently clip it to a tee shirt pocket on a daily basis for about 3 weeks before it broke.  The hinge of the clip is connected to the body of the Sansa by two very thin pieces of plastic that acts as both the retaining and pivot point of the clip.  So that pivot point is subject to a lot of stress and wear and tear.  That tiny part should have been made of metal or at least a much thicker piece of plastic.  It is inevitable, imo, that it will eventually wear through and break if one actually uses the clip on a frequent basis.  For those of you who's clip hasn't broken yet, good luck.

Despite the defective design of the clip mechanism, I still like the Clip+ and will probably either keep it and sand off the remains of the clip attachment point or replace it and this time only use the clip when absolutely necessary so as to extend its life.

That is what I always did with my old Clips, and what I still do with my Clip+.....clip it to a T-shirt pocket.
wink.gif
Still never broke one.
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #171 of 317
I've just got a couple of clip+ for me and my son. Coming from a Sony A818, the first thing I noticed is how short the battery is in comparision. Also I wish the 3.5 jack was on the top or the bottom. But its great having a standard USB connection. I don't use the clip part but my son does. 

Jan 12, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #172 of 317

Quote:
rolleyes.gif

Exactly. The clip on the Clip+ is, ironically, it's worst feature.

No matter though, it was cheap and there is velcro.

Jan 14, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #173 of 317
Hi guys!

This is my first time posting here on head-fi so sorry for any stupid questions that might come up :p

Anyways, I've been reading through alot here (when I say alot, I mean ALOT.) rougly all the 64 pages where people ramble on about the monster turbines etc.

Now to the point. I'm going to buy myself a clip+ tomorrow, and I've been reading alot of comments where people mention the clip+ getting new features, better battery life and better SQ by rockboxing it. Does it really work? Also, what's the risk's? I've seen few people mentioning it can be permanently damaged by rockboxing it, although that might've been a long time ago.

I do appreciate any answers you can give me regarding the sansa clip+ being rockboxed!

Final note, my main language is NOT english so I do apologize if you find some parts hard to understand! :)

Jan 14, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #174 of 317

Quote:
Hi guys!

This is my first time posting here on head-fi so sorry for any stupid questions that might come up :p

Anyways, I've been reading through alot here (when I say alot, I mean ALOT.) rougly all the 64 pages where people ramble on about the monster turbines etc.

Now to the point. I'm going to buy myself a clip+ tomorrow, and I've been reading alot of comments where people mention the clip+ getting new features, better battery life and better SQ by rockboxing it. Does it really work? Also, what's the risk's? I've seen few people mentioning it can be permanently damaged by rockboxing it, although that might've been a long time ago.

I do appreciate any answers you can give me regarding the sansa clip+ being rockboxed!

Final note, my main language is NOT english so I do apologize if you find some parts hard to understand! :)

No "better sq by rockboxing". Just a better equalizer.

Jan 16, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #175 of 317
Just picked one of these up as a gym player. Comparing it against my iPhone, the SQ is almost near identical, at least with the headphones I have (I'm a non-EQ guy, btw, so this is without any EQ on either). Navigation on the Clip+ is a lot harder than the iPhone though, and the screen is way too small for comfortable navigation, if used as my only main DAP. I much prefer using the iPhone, as I have a good majority of my music library in FLAC, and using Foobar and foo_dop (only use iTunes for app management and the occasional video), I automatically can encode and transfer music to the iPhone easily, something that I haven't figured out yet with the Clip.

Just my $0.02.

Jan 16, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #176 of 317

Quote:
Just picked one of these up as a gym player. Comparing it against my iPhone, the SQ is almost near identical, at least with the headphones I have (I'm a non-EQ guy, btw, so this is without any EQ on either). Navigation on the Clip+ is a lot harder than the iPhone though, and the screen is way too small for comfortable navigation, if used as my only main DAP. I much prefer using the iPhone, as I have a good majority of my music library in FLAC, and using Foobar and foo_dop (only use iTunes for app management and the occasional video), I automatically can encode and transfer music to the iPhone easily, something that I haven't figured out yet with the Clip.

Just my $0.02.

Clip+ will play FLAC without transcoding, if you wish it to...but the battery life will be very low unless you rockbox it.

Jan 16, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #177 of 317

Quote:
Quote:

Just my $0.02.

Clip+ will play FLAC without transcoding, if you wish it to...but the battery life will be very low unless you rockbox it.

I don't have an external SD card, so 4GB will be used up extremely fast if I use FLACs only, hence the transcoding. And I did Rockbox it, if just for experimentation.

Mar 6, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #178 of 317
Hi,
Here in the Netherlands the lcip+ is a bit expensive, 79 euro including shipping for the sansa clip+ fm 8gb. I am very interested to find out how its sq compares to the iphone 4 with the standard sansa earbuds and the shure se530. Even if it will not sound better I will hold on to it htough because i prefer to be able to put material on the clip the easy way (I have owned two normal clips before then having to use itunes.
I am also interested to see what rockbox can do with it, i will rockbox the lcip+ immediately after I receive it. For people in europe, the standard clipf irmware limits the volume that the clip can put out if you put it into eu mode.
Greetings, Anouk,

Mar 6, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #179 of 317

Quote:
how its sq compares to the iphone 4 with the standard sansa earbuds...

Oh good grief. What's the point of comparing SQ through crap? It's like saying "Does Mrs. Butterworth's pancake mix taste better than Aunt Jemima with 1/2 inch of thick, pasty poo spread on them?" Both will taste like crap.

Mar 6, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #180 of 317

Quote:
Hi,
Here in the Netherlands the lcip+ is a bit expensive, 79 euro including shipping for the sansa clip+ fm 8gb. I am very interested to find out how its sq compares to the iphone 4 with the standard sansa earbuds and the shure se530. Even if it will not sound better I will hold on to it htough because i prefer to be able to put material on the clip the easy way (I have owned two normal clips before then having to use itunes.
I am also interested to see what rockbox can do with it, i will rockbox the lcip+ immediately after I receive it. For people in europe, the standard clipf irmware limits the volume that the clip can put out if you put it into eu mode.
Greetings, Anouk,

The clip and iphone 4 have very similar sound quality. The difference is that the iphone has slightly better channel separation. Besides that, I was unable to detect a difference. The clip with rockbox will of course give you access to a better EQ, but now with apps like EQu and equalizer available, the iphone is capable of having a very good equalizer as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back