Sansa Clip+ Impressions
Mar 3, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #211 of 317
I am back on Head-fi because of my Clip+ malfunctioning yesterday.
Here's what happened.
I was charging my 4GB Clip+ via the 2.1A wall charger as I did many times before
and listening to the music (on the 32GB Sandisk micro card). 
Then, I tried to go back to the folder level to switch to another artist.
(Obviously I had been performing this operation many times before.)
But, this time, out of the blue, the following message popped up on the display:

Not enough space
for Music DB.
Please free 90 MB.

... and after displaying the above message my Clip+ switched off on its own immediately.
I switched the Clip+ on very many times and the same happened every time, namely
- the above message was displayed
- the Clip+ switched off on it own

After a couple of hours I resumed my attemps. -  I tried very quickly to go to the artist level  ...
and ... I did succeed. My Clip+ seems to be working fine for now.

Does that strange behavior mean that my Clip+ is about to die?

P.S.
By the way, does Music DB mean 'Music Database'?

Mar 3, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #212 of 317
  I am back on Head-fi because of my Clip+ malfunctioning yesterday.
Here's what happened.
I was charging my 4GB Clip+ via the 2.1A wall charger as I did many times before
and listening to the music (on the 32GB Sandisk micro card). 
Then, I tried to go back to the folder level to switch to another artist.
(Obviously I had been performing this operation many times before.)
But, this time, out of the blue, the following message popped up on the display:

Not enough space
for Music DB.
Please free 90 MB.

... and after displaying the above message my Clip+ switched off on its own immediately.
I switched the Clip+ on very many times and the same happened every time, namely
- the above message was displayed
- the Clip+ switched off on it own

After a couple of hours I resumed my attemps. -  I tried very quickly to go to the artist level  ...
and ... I did succeed. My Clip+ seems to be working fine for now.

Does that strange behavior mean that my Clip+ is about to die?

P.S.
By the way, does Music DB mean 'Music Database'?

That message generally means there is a corrupted file on there somewhere. Format the internal memory and the card, and re-load your music, and most likely everything will be just fine.

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #213 of 317

That message generally means there is a corrupted file on there somewhere. Format the internal memory and the card, and re-load your music, and most likely everything will be just fine.

Thanx  a lot. I didn't know that.
I didn't format the internal memory or  the external micro card either and - as I mentioned at the end of my last post - everything's fine.
But for safety and to avoid future surprises I will reformat them.

P.S. 
I have to find 
tongue_smile.gif
the format option in the Clip+ menu.

May 3, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #214 of 317
I just bought a Clip+ and I'm struck by just how long I've went without physical buttons. What was I thinking?

Jun 14, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #215 of 317
So my Clip Zip just arrived, and the first thing I noticed is how small the damn thing is :D seriously I expected it to be a bit bigger. Anyway the build seems decent for a $30 player. Sound is also very good for the price. It's a bit one the warm side though, I think it's missing just a bit of treble sparkle. It pairs really well with my S500's. Anyway this DAP is seriously good for running. Just clip it on and you don't have to worry about it.

I got the 4gb version and I really need to get an SD card. And since 95% of my music is either in 320kbps or FLAC, I only managed to get 480 songs out of Sansa's acclaimed 1000 songs in 4gb lol.

So now I'll probably buy a microSD card for it, then I'll try this Rockbox firmware everyone seems to be talking about. :D

Jun 14, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #217 of 317
Is the Clip+/Clip Zip compatible with the Vamp Verza? I was thinking of picking one up to use as a FLAC player, but wanted to make sure it would work with my amp first. Thanks!

Since the Clip has a micro USB slot I'm assuming it will? I'm not sure though, you might want to ask in the Vamp Verza thread here.

Jun 14, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #218 of 317
So my Clip Zip just arrived, and the first thing I noticed is how small the damn thing is
biggrin.gif
seriously I expected it to be a bit bigger. Anyway the build seems decent for a $30 player. Sound is also very good for the price. It's a bit one the warm side though, I think it's missing just a bit of treble sparkle. It pairs really well with my S500's. Anyway this DAP is seriously good for running. Just clip it on and you don't have to worry about it.

I got the 4gb version and I really need to get an SD card. And since 95% of my music is either in 320kbps or FLAC, I only managed to get 480 songs out of Sansa's acclaimed 1000 songs in 4gb lol.

So now I'll probably buy a microSD card for it, then I'll try this Rockbox firmware everyone seems to be talking about.
biggrin.gif

Congratz!  Love the Zip.  Rockbox is fun.  Just posted this in the budget fi pic thread.  Setup under $50 (with the 32gb card- $65).
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #219 of 317

Congratz!  Love the Zip.  Rockbox is fun.  Just posted this in the budget fi pic thread.  Setup under $50 (with the 32gb card- $65).
biggrin.gif

Thanks man! Do you think its worth it to rockbox my Clip? Is it difficult?

Jun 14, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #220 of 317

Thanks man! Do you think its worth it to rockbox my Clip? Is it difficult?

Totally worth it x.

You'll get a bunch of features, some bass and treb tone controls, eq etc.....Nowadays with the Rockbox utility it's fairly simple.  Go the site and browse the instructions and download the user manual.

Basically, once you install the utility, you check off bootloader, rb firmware, fonts and themes (get 'em all).  For Sansa it needs the firmware clpza.bin file.

Sorry, don't wanna confuse you.  Just browse the installation for the Zip and check out the manual.  Once you RB, it's hard to go back....Fo real!!!

beerchug.gif

Jul 29, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #221 of 317
  Yeah, the sound quality of the Clip+ is vastly overrated in my opinion - its good for the price but nothing to write home about.  I use one as a tiny backup should my main device (J3) carp it.  I wouldn't recommend one for use with high end iems on a regular basis, put it that way.

Yeah, VASTLY is understatement... I'm disappointed as well... Nothing to write about. Bought it for running but honestly nothing excellent compared to even the Apple Shuffle....

Aug 1, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #223 of 317
For those who have straight jacks on their headphones and want to ease strain off the Clips headphone jack I found these for just a few dollars.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/C8-1pcs-3-5mm-L-90-Degree-Male-To-Female-Earphone-Port-Protector-Adapter-Cable-/261454392132?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3cdfe56b44&_uhb=1

Thought someone might find it handy....

Aug 12, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #224 of 317
Don't know about guys who are saying clip is overrated in terms of sound quality .. I find it better than IPOD's and even some of the famous Cowon's .. One thing i don't like about clip+ is the battery on original firmware .. other than that it is pretty pretty good in sound. However yes sound is very subjective to everyone ..

Sent from Android a Gooogle Product :)

Aug 13, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #225 of 317
For a $35 player it sounds pretty good, but keep your expectations realistic for such a small, cheap device.  I like it because I'm fairly clumsy and hard on devices, so it works great for when I'm doing yardwork or something like that.  I'm never worried about it getting dropped, bumped, splashed with water, covered in dust or grass, etc. since I'll only be out $35 when it dies.  But actually it's gone through all of that and still works fine.  I'll never use it for dedicated listening though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back