[REVIEW] Logitech UE9000 - Ultimate Ears HEADPHONES Released! The UE4000, UE6000 and the UE9000 - Impressions Thread
Oct 16, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #377 of 964
Quote:

Unfortunately mine seem to have about a 10% louder left channel. I've gone through all the tests I could think of -- switch sides, both sides in mono playback, played mono sine tones of various frequencies -- and I'm pretty confident there's a distinct imbalance. 

I had that problem with my first set of UE4000 and a maybe a little with the second set. Seems to be more with the bass.

Bass is so freakin' vague with the UE's in general. It is definitely the Achilles Heel of this line of headphones.

Oct 16, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #378 of 964
Quote:
I grabbed these from the Apple store online, none in stock in my area. Before I get to the problem this post is about I want to say... wow, these are amazingly comfortable. I'm pretty sure I could wear them all day and never notice.

Unfortunately mine seem to have about a 10% louder left channel. I've gone through all the tests I could think of -- switch sides, both sides in mono playback, played mono sine tones of various frequencies -- and I'm pretty confident there's a distinct imbalance. The fact that I can make it sound just about perfect by boosting the right channel by ~10%, maybe a little more, pretty much seals it.

I also tried a different cable, and a couple different sources (I don't own any headphone amps but I tried my desktop, laptop, an iPhone5 and 4). Used the included splitter to compare against an Amperior, Sony XBA3, and Apple's Earpods, all of which felt nicely centered by comparison. Anyway the point is that I'm fairly certain I'm not making it up. I know all headphones have a certain amount of channel imbalance but I feel like 10% is too much, especially when none of my other headphones I have sitting around have that much offset.

Sound quality once I balance the channels in Windows myself? I really like it, it's exactly what I was looking for (trying to find an IEM replacement for out and about usage, and the Amperiors are honestly a bit piercing and uncomfortable, not to mention expensive). I'm just not willing to rebalance every device I plug them into (not really possible with the iPhone anyway since it's just that slider).

I probably won't be getting a replacement pair since neither of the Apple stores in town have this headphone in stock right now... And to be honest this is not the first QC issue I've had with Logitech. It also sounds like it isn't the first QC issue with this batch of headphones in particular. Apparently innerfidelity got 2 ue4000's with the same issue, and we have a post just a page back where someone had the opposite problem (quiet left channel).

What was the point of that rant? Basically if you got a good pair then enjoy them, because I think they're really decent headphones in their price range (disclaimer: I'm extra-inexperienced in high end audio stuff, I just know what I like). But if you're thinking about it I would suggest only getting them if you can buy them locally in case you find yourself needing to do an exchange.

I'm going to keep them for a week and play with them, just to see if anything changes, so I'll post again if I find that the balance issue resolves itself or it turns out I had super-selective ear cancer. :wink:

The same thing happened to me. I returned them to get another pair, AND THE SAME THING. I turns out that the cable isn't very good with windows and such. Have you tried playing them out of an ipod? Through an ipod mine sound great and balanced. 

Oct 17, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #379 of 964
I received a pair of UE6000s yesterday...left channel had not as much volume as the right channel, and at certain frequencies that was a lot of interference in the left channel. Overall I thought it lacked a powerful bass (passive mode) the bass extend a fair bit without having any "rumbling" to it (this shows when I played some test tracks like Thunder, and an airplane coming over) not very realistic. The highs are veiled like in the Senn HD650. The comfort was good although my ears would only just fit. Needless to say I returned these.

I listened to:
-Jigalong (from CD Rabbit Proof Fence OST) - Peter Gabriel
-Rolling Thunder - Gordon Hempton (and God)
-The Digital Domain - s/t
-Morph the Cat - Donald Fagen
-Also Sprach Sarathustra - Strauss
-Pick Yourself Up - Diana Krall
-POV - Simon Phillips
-A Thousand Years - Sting
Homeless - Paul Simon
-Sharp Object - Dominic Miller
and many more....

My headphone inventory: Denon D7000, D2000, Sennheiser HD650, HD 25-1 II, ATH M50 (white box & blue box versions) Beyerdynamic DT150
Ipod Classic with Meier Corda 3 amp.

Oct 17, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #380 of 964
  I am still waiting to get my Studio 3rd gen Dap, so I test these boys out.  The ipod does no justice to these and I really can't listen to them.  I know that true audiophile don't mind for looks, but I just can't stand how these look when they are extended.  You see the metal and it just looks like you are wearing something too big for your head.  Main reason why I didn't like the beats either.  On the other hand,  I do like how the v-moda m-100s look on head.  They look the same even fully extended.  I like that aviator look you get.  

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #381 of 964
After looking through this thread I really want to get myself a pair UE4000 for daily use. Really like that they have a detachable cable, a carrying case and even the splitter. But still have some questions about them.
How do UE4000 compare to other closed $100 headphones? I read a few reviews, all of them were positive, but still want some more comparisions with such headphones as CAL, Philips Citiscape Downtown, etc. How good is the isolation? Are there really so much flawed units with high channel imbalance? Are there any more problems with those? Will they work fine with Sansa Clip+ (the Apple remote cable shouldn't be an issue with Clip, should it?)?

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #382 of 964
Is this a review for the 9000 or 6000 ?

I grabbed these from the Apple store online, none in stock in my area. Before I get to the problem this post is about I want to say... wow, these are amazingly comfortable. I'm pretty sure I could wear them all day and never notice.

Unfortunately mine seem to have about a 10% louder left channel. I've gone through all the tests I could think of -- switch sides, both sides in mono playback, played mono sine tones of various frequencies -- and I'm pretty confident there's a distinct imbalance. The fact that I can make it sound just about perfect by boosting the right channel by ~10%, maybe a little more, pretty much seals it.

I also tried a different cable, and a couple different sources (I don't own any headphone amps but I tried my desktop, laptop, an iPhone5 and 4). Used the included splitter to compare against an Amperior, Sony XBA3, and Apple's Earpods, all of which felt nicely centered by comparison. Anyway the point is that I'm fairly certain I'm not making it up. I know all headphones have a certain amount of channel imbalance but I feel like 10% is too much, especially when none of my other headphones I have sitting around have that much offset.

Sound quality once I balance the channels in Windows myself? I really like it, it's exactly what I was looking for (trying to find an IEM replacement for out and about usage, and the Amperiors are honestly a bit piercing and uncomfortable, not to mention expensive). I'm just not willing to rebalance every device I plug them into (not really possible with the iPhone anyway since it's just that slider).

I probably won't be getting a replacement pair since neither of the Apple stores in town have this headphone in stock right now... And to be honest this is not the first QC issue I've had with Logitech. It also sounds like it isn't the first QC issue with this batch of headphones in particular. Apparently innerfidelity got 2 ue4000's with the same issue, and we have a post just a page back where someone had the opposite problem (quiet left channel).

What was the point of that rant? Basically if you got a good pair then enjoy them, because I think they're really decent headphones in their price range (disclaimer: I'm extra-inexperienced in high end audio stuff, I just know what I like). But if you're thinking about it I would suggest only getting them if you can buy them locally in case you find yourself needing to do an exchange.

I'm going to keep them for a week and play with them, just to see if anything changes, so I'll post again if I find that the balance issue resolves itself or it turns out I had super-selective ear cancer. :wink:

Oct 17, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #384 of 964
How is the wireless compability with an android phone and a win7 computer with apt-x dongle?
Does the microphone(s) work while connected to an android phone wire/bluetooth and does the microphone work while connected to a computer with an apt-x dongle?

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #386 of 964
Quote:
The same thing happened to me. I returned them to get another pair, AND THE SAME THING. I turns out that the cable isn't very good with windows and such. Have you tried playing them out of an ipod? Through an ipod mine sound great and balanced. 

I've tried a number of different devices as well as using a normal non-iDevice cable, unfortunately the results have been identical. I also tried letting them play overnight just to see if it was something self-correcting, but the offset remains.

Quote:
Is this a review for the 9000 or 6000 ?

Sorry, somewhere in that mess of text I forgot to mention: 6000. I would suspect that the QC standards might increase as you move up the line; I haven't seen anyone make this complaint about the 9000 yet (though I imagine most people who bought one of these headphones picked the $200 model, so there might not be that many 9000's out there).

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #388 of 964
Quote:
So is the verdict out there that the m100s are better than the ue6000? If so I'll wait for it and return the ue9000

They are different with bigger bass in the UE6000/UE9000, but superior detail and better extended mids and highs with the M-100.  If I was only able to own one headphone, I would pick the M-100.  If bass was more important than overall SQ, plus bluetooth was an important feature, I might hold onto the UE9000 since they are also excellent.

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #389 of 964
They are different with bigger bass in the UE6000/UE9000, but superior detail and better extended mids and highs with the M-100.  If I was only able to own one headphone, I would pick the M-100.  If bass was more important than overall SQ, plus bluetooth was an important feature, I might hold onto the UE9000 since they are also excellent.

I honestly just want them all!! Lol. I might keep the ue9000 And sell my k550s. I don't want to part ways with the amperior. Can you compare the m100 to the anperior?

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #390 of 964
Quote:
I honestly just want them all!! Lol. I might keep the ue9000 And sell my k550s. I don't want to part ways with the amperior. Can you compare the m100 to the anperior?

Well, I owned Amperior for a few weeks and returned because the bass didn't have enough good impact for me, the mids were muddy and highs lacked detail which made them harsh to my ears.  I will be keeping the M-100s for life and I know this after less than a week with them.  While there are headphones with bigger, deeper bass if you are a basshead, I would say that overall these are the best sounding headphones I ever heard at any price.  If the M-100 was wrapped in wood and leather and I paid $1,000, I would feel very good about my purchase.  They are a bargain at $310 and I consider Amperior overpriced at $350.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back