Review: Fiio E7
Oct 23, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #167 of 548
Quote:
....so as i said earlier, when connected to the iphone, i don't require impressive sound, just good, satisfying sound that handles the frequency range well..

If you don't require the most impressive sound there is, why a HD800 which cost $1400 and not particularly good for portable use? It will be like buying the most expensive sport car to use it for daily 15 minutes ride to the local market. The more sensible thing to do will be to spend $700 on a decent home rig, $500 on a decent full size and another $200 on a good IEM for portable.As great as HD800 can be, listening to it next traffic with all the noise is just going to be as bad as listening to your SkullCandy.

Oct 23, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #168 of 548

Quote:
If you don't require the most impressive sound there is, why a HD800 which cost $1400 and not particularly good for portable use? It will be like buying the most expensive sport car to use it for daily 15 minutes ride to the local market. The more sensible thing to do will be to spend $700 on a decent home rig, $500 on a decent full size and another $200 on a good IEM for portable.As great as HD800 can be, listening to it next traffic with all the noise is just going to be as bad as listening to your SkullCandy.

I'm not a fool, i would NEVER buy such expensive gear without using it as it should be used. 

Let's just say it like this, i would use the HD 800 80% for home use, 20% for portable use. As i said earlier, i just want to be able to use the phones with the iphone, NOT because i want to use them to the phone, but because i don't want to buy TWO headphones...

I'll be honest. I almost NEVER leave my house (walking the dog doesn't count) In school, i prefer to sit down on the breaks, ALONE, and on the lessons, i also prefer to sit alone. Noise won't be a problem for me, and neither will the chances of breaking/loosing the headphone.

Oct 23, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #169 of 548
I really, REALLY don't think that you're going to find the HD 800 suitable for ANY kind of portable use. They will be big, they will be fragile it's probable that they'll play just as loudly inside out. It's a hard thing to get your head around if you've never used an open can before.

The HD 800 is a premium hifi can and it's meant to be used on a hifi. Coming from Skullcandy of course the E7/HD 800 combo will sound totally amazing, but if you ever hear them well amped you'll never want them out of a portable again.

I'm with ClieOS - save your money for now and buy some nice IEMs or portables to pair with your E7 and drop the other $1000 odd on putting together a home rig. I promise you'll end up much happier.

Oct 23, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #170 of 548

Quote:
I really, REALLY don't think that you're going to find the HD 800 suitable for ANY kind of portable use. They will be big, they will be fragile it's probable that they'll play just as loudly inside out. It's a hard thing to get your head around if you've never used an open can before.

The HD 800 is a premium hifi can and it's meant to be used on a hifi. Coming from Skullcandy of course the E7/HD 800 combo will sound totally amazing, but if you ever hear them well amped you'll never want them out of a portable again.

I'm with ClieOS - save your money for now and buy some nice IEMs or portables to pair with your E7 and drop the other $1000 odd on putting together a home rig. I promise you'll end up much happier.

Thank you for a good answer. I'm aware of all the troubles with open-back cans, expecially such big, fragile ones. But as I said, the amount of portable use that i would spend with these is equal to minimum. We are taking about around 1-2 hours of portable use in a day, these hours mostly includes sitting still on one place, or walking around for seconds between places.

I've gotten some great advices, so i'm very pleased. But i guarantee you, i have NOT planned on buying this ultra-powerful headphone to primary have them for portable use. We are talking about using them for music, gaming and movie watching at home with my AMP, ps3 and blu-ray capabilities (And i watch ALOT of movies). So don't worry about me spending my money for the wrong purpose.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a pair of VERY good speakers, not high-end, but still very good quality. The reciever is not as impressive, but i will buy a new one soon, since it lacks a remote (pain in the arse)

You said "it's probable that they'll play just as loudly inside out", forgive me, but i don't understand :S (And yet i thought my english was excellent :p)

Oct 23, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #171 of 548
Quote:
You said "it's probable that they'll play just as loudly inside out", forgive me, but i don't understand :S (And yet i thought my english was excellent :p)

Basically if you could turn the cans so that the ear cups were facing out (it's easy on a Grado, not so much on Senns) and you had your ears against the outside grille bits, the volume would probably be around the same level, although obviously the SQ would be less good. That's a reality that many Amazon reviewers who buy open cans and wear them in public don't seem to quite grasp.

Oct 23, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #174 of 548
i'm thinking in getting one of these fiio E7 to use with AD700 headphones. currently i'm using my sony ericsson w715 phone to listen to music and creative audigy SE on my pc. what kind of improvement should i be expecting, should i buy it? how does it work. thanks in advance!

Oct 24, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #176 of 548
So has anyone treid the E7 with Hd25-1? I was thinking of grabing the E7 in order to have slightly more bass as well as fuller range of sound that my Zune cant provide and was woundering if any one tried HD25-1 with the E7 and what they think about the combo. Thanks

Oct 24, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #177 of 548
Quote:
Is that so? - Well that's not good news, the specs says it can handle 300ohm

There is no way the E7 could power 300ohm at a reasonable volume

Quote:
i'm thinking in getting one of these fiio E7 to use with AD700 headphones. currently i'm using my sony ericsson w715 phone to listen to music and creative audigy SE on my pc. what kind of improvement should i be expecting, should i buy it? how does it work. thanks in advance!

The W715 is a really rubbish source, i'd replace that first before thinking about a amp, as a amp the E7 provides a more fuller sound with a bit of extra bass and does a job of cleaning up the sound of crappy sources, my only complate about it would be the bass extension could be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back