Review: Fiio E7
Oct 4, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #136 of 548
I also got my Fiio7 and (L3) from Micca (through Amazon, USA). Awesome service, both arrived within 4 days of purchase. Now I can listen to my MacBookPro without feeling as if I was being tortured!

Oct 5, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #137 of 548
I left my E1 at home and after 3 days of the headphone jack on my iPhone I couldn't face it anymore.  The E1 has done me well and the small size is a great benefit for a constant traveller like myself.  My intention was to buy another E1 to keep in my suitcase.

When I got to the store (Yodobashi Camera) they had a good selection of headphone amps.  As always happens when you are looking for a $20 product the ones with several hundred dollar price tags leap out of the display at you.  The store had a microshar 109G2+ and I was inevitably drawn to that based on it's spec.  I decided to give the microshar a try and selected the E7 as a back to back reference and frankly it was no contest.  The 109G2+ was 'thin' and lacking in presence.  The E7 brought out a lot more detail, the 109G2 seemed particularly bad with treble and snare drums were positively nasty.  The source was my iPhone4 with Apple lossless running into Shure SE535.  I listened to a number of tracks from Florence and the Machine's Lungs album and from the Blue Nile album A walk across the roof tops.  Two excellently produced albums!  I had only intended to try the E7 as something to compare with the microshar but I left the store with the E7 and a significant amount of money left in my bank account.  By this stage i had completely forgotten my intention of getting another E1 
smile_phones.gif

Great job Fiio

edit:  got the album name wrong.  duhh

Oct 11, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #138 of 548
I was thinking of getting the FiiO E7 as a source, but I also have an Indeed G2 tube amp coming my way. There isn't a line out in the E7, but can I use it's headphone out jack with volume set to 60 to connect it into my Indeed's RCA in or 3.5mm in?

Oct 11, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #139 of 548
Quote:
I was thinking of getting the FiiO E7 as a source, but I also have an Indeed G2 tube amp coming my way. There isn't a line out in the E7, but can I use it's headphone out jack with volume set to 60 to connect it into my Indeed's RCA in or 3.5mm in?

You can, but there is a line-out on E7, and FiiO will release a line-out- dock in the future so you can use it.

Oct 11, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #141 of 548
Maybe not major change, but it is hard to say till someone heard it.

Oct 11, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #142 of 548
Thanks for your input, I was just wondering that is there anything stopping me from plugging it into the Indeed, as I've hardly dappled into DACs and amps and especially since the E7 is considered a mobile one (although I'm going to use it constantly plugged to my laptops USB port)

Oct 12, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #143 of 548
I received my E7 last week from Micca Store and it's fantastic, as was their service.

just wanted to throw that out there.  my first DAC/Amp.

Oct 19, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #144 of 548
I have three complaints with the E7 now after having it for several months.

First, the glue that keeps it together seems to bleed after it's been charged a lot (the charging heats it up) and it shows up on the sides of the aluminum, marring an otehrwise flawless appearance.

Second, the OLED screen is always on and displays the exact same thing each time (status bar plus Volume) and this really burns into the screen after a few months. You will notice it when you go into the menu, the ghost of the status bar and volume display shows up.

Third, the battery drains even when the E7 is off. This is annoying. I was hoping if I left it off for a month it would still be close to what it was before I left it off. But in this case it drains maybe about 1 bar a day, so from full charge it will be dead in about 5-6 days if you just leave it unattended. 

Other than that... i Love my E7.

Oct 19, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #145 of 548

Quote:
I also find the battery meter has a mind of it's own, poor firmware programming i think nothings wrong with the actual battery.

It's not a firmware or battery meter issue, the battery really does drain itself by about a bar every day regardless of whether you use it or not. Some devices are really like this, I don't know why it happens, something is running even when it is off, basically. My old EEE PC 701 was like this, the battery would drain by itself even if the netbook was off, so it had to be charged every day. Subsequent EEE iterations didn't have this problem.

Oct 19, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #146 of 548
Mochan, have you turned on Key Lock?

I have mine set for 60 seconds. After the seconds pass, the screen turns off, while the E7 remains on. If you wanna unlock it, press a button (to bring up the screen), then hold the menu button for a few seconds and it unlocks. After another 60 seconds (or however long you set it) it will lock again and turn off the screen again. It's the only way to keep the screen from constantly being on. Unless your constantly tweaking the volume or EQ, I doubt you should have any major problems having the Key Lock function on.

I'm not sure if you knew, hence why I posted this comment. I myself didn't know the key lock worked this way until 2 days ago, ironically. I always just left the screen on.

Oct 19, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #147 of 548
Yes, "Key Lock" is your answer. I think the title for the function "Key Lock" is rather cryptic as it doesn't really mention anything about power saving or turning off the display. I found out what that particular function did (other than locking the keys) after the 2nd day of purchase. It's nice to have an option where you can turn off the display, especially when the display is based on the fragile OLED technology but I see it as a minor design flaw. "Key Lock" and "Display on/off" should be two separate functions. However, I rarely don't mess with the EQ or other settings once it's configured the first time so it doesn't really bother me but I could understand if anyone else finds this as a problem.

Oct 20, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #148 of 548
Mochan, try setting "USB charge" to "off". Mine is always set to "off" to eliminate electronic interference from the built-in PSU when hooked up to my netbook via USB during listening. My E7 hasn't been used for 4 days and the battery bar is still full.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back