Review: Fiio E7
Oct 23, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #151 of 548

Quote:
Mochan, try setting "USB charge" to "off". Mine is always set to "off" to eliminate electronic interference from the built-in PSU when hooked up to my netbook via USB during listening. My E7 hasn't been used for 4 days and the battery bar is still full.

Hmm ok I just turned it off, I'll unplug it tonight and see in the morning if it helped. I'll report back with my findings tomorrow.

I keep keylock off, I don't like the delay that comes with keylock. I figured I can live with the screen burning itself out if it came to it. At least I hope so haha. This is indeed a minor design flaw, there should be a "screen off" button.

Oct 23, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #152 of 548
What about the rumors of a new E7 revision?! I read something in another E7/E9 thread but couldn't find more information...

anyone?

regards.
bearmann

Oct 23, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #153 of 548
I have a question..

I'm thinking about buying Sennheiser's HD 800, mostly for home use of course. BUT since i have an iphone, it would be nice to actually be able to use these high-end headphones with it as well. The idea was to buy the fiio E7 and use it for that purpose. 

Will the E7 pack enough juice to actually make the headphone sing with the iphone? I'm not expecting the same fantastic quality even with the E7, partly because i'm using MP3 songs in the phone and because the iphone still won't match a full size reciever. 

I will test the HD 800 in a while, both with AMP and with the iphone 4, but the fiio E7 has not yet arrived in my country, so i won't be able to try it out just yet. 

A good, serious answer is of good value here...

Oct 23, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #154 of 548
Quote:
What about the rumors of a new E7 revision?! I read something in another E7/E9 thread but couldn't find more information...

anyone?

regards.
bearmann

James from FiiO said in a thread that they're upping the gain from 2dB to something like 8dB from the third batch of E7s onwards. It's possible that they'll also upgrade the firmware, though I don't know how that'll pan out for current owners.
Quote:
I have a question..

I'm thinking about buying Sennheiser's HD 800, mostly for home use of course. BUT since i have an iphone, it would be nice to actually be able to use these high-end headphones with it as well. The idea was to buy the fiio E7 and use it for that purpose. 

Will the E7 pack enough juice to actually make the headphone sing with the iphone? I'm not expecting the same fantastic quality even with the E7, partly because i'm using MP3 songs in the phone and because the iphone still won't match a full size reciever. 

I will test the HD 800 in a while, both with AMP and with the iphone 4, but the fiio E7 has not yet arrived in my country, so i won't be able to try it out just yet. 

A good, serious answer is of good value here...

FWIR, almost certianly not. The E7 is a good little amp and it could drive the HD 800... but not well, and certainly not to its best. The E7 is more designed for portable headphones and IEMs than it is for 300ohm full-size cans.
Why do you have to use your iPhone as a source? You're not intending to use the HD 800 for portable use, are you? 'cause fragile, fully open $1400 headphones and city metro do not mix.
tongue.gif

If you're set on the HD 800 you really need to put them into a home rig, and that means a fullsize desktop amp and a good source.

Oct 23, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #155 of 548

Quote:

FWIR, almost certianly not. The E7 is a good little amp and it could drive the HD 800... but not well, and certainly not to its best. The E7 is more designed for portable headphones and IEMs than it is for 300ohm full-size cans.
Why do you have to use your iPhone as a source? You're not intending to use the HD 800 for portable use, are you? 'cause fragile, fully open $1400 headphones and city metro do not mix.
tongue.gif

If you're set on the HD 800 you really need to put them into a home rig, and that means a fullsize desktop amp and a good source.

The idea was to use the cans home, with my fullsize amp. Though yes, i would use the HD 800 for some portable use, only in school though, and maybe when i'm traveling, but not by bus or anything. In school i'm not walking around very much. 

You're saying the E7 won't drive them well? Do you mean the sound will get sharper and sound "bad", or just that it will get a little muddy and you lose some of the soundstage and some detail? I mean the sound SHOULD still match cans like the ATH-M50, right? 

EDIT: the iphone IS actually a pretty good source for being a mobile device. Let's say i connect the HD 800 (with an 3,5 mm adapter) to the iphone, the sound does NOT go pair with the price. It will probably sound (at it's best) like a solid pair of Scullcandy's. But remember still, i'm not expecting that godlike sound when i'm using it with my phone, with a good portable amp, i hope for sound matching the Audio-technica ath-m50. Is this to much to ask for???

Oct 23, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #156 of 548
I would also like to add: My amp is not exactly the latest tech, and probably not the best of it's class either, but it should be enough. 

I also have another thing on my mind. Ignore the equipment, MP3 songs won't do when i'm connected to the amp at home, what can i use about for CD:s? I'm downloading most of my music he-he...

Oct 23, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #157 of 548
The E7 can drive phones up to 300ohm okay, but not great. It can actually drive the K701 nicely for me IF I use Bass Boost 3. Without BB3, it lacks in volume. Of course BB3 colors the sound making it sound completely different (but not bad, just....different).

Mangamonster did an initial impression of the Fiio E9, and said it sounds almost too good to be true when paired with the K701.

So if you wanna amp the HD800, I'd wait for the E9's release. I know I am. Docking my lil E7 with it too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #158 of 548
But will the E9 be portable?

The E9 appears to be a desktop amp which can connect with the E7 to take advantage of the E7:s DAC. 

One thing though. The E7 has not been released in Sweden yet, which means the E9 will take even longer to arrive...

Oct 23, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #159 of 548
Oct 23, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #160 of 548

Quote:

Then, i'm afraid, i will have no use for it. I will use my stereo reciever when not on the move, and the E7 when on the move. 

Though, you can at least carry the E9 with you when moving to another location... If, when i get to try out the HD 800 seriously, i'll buy them AND the E7, i'm gonna wait for a while and then maybe buy the E9 when the account is filled with money once again
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #161 of 548
I have the DT990/600ohm and the E& does not drive it anywhere near loud or good enough. I highly doubt it will satisfy you for the HD800.

Oct 23, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #162 of 548

Quote:
I have the DT990/600ohm and the E& does not drive it anywhere near loud or good enough. I highly doubt it will satisfy you for the HD800.

Well, 600ohm is a lot. Twice as much as the HD 800. With E& i suppose you mean E7..?

With the crappy earphones i have now (Scullcandy full metal jacket) i doubt the HD800 will disappoint me when connected to the E7. Sure the sound won't be as neutral and crisp as it will be when connected to a larger, more powerful amp - but everything i've owned in the category of headphones/earphones are Porta PRO and apple's crappy-ass earphones, so as i said earlier, when connected to the iphone, i don't require impressive sound, just good, satisfying sound that handles the frequency range well.

Oct 23, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #163 of 548

The idea was to use the cans home, with my fullsize amp. Though yes, i would use the HD 800 for some portable use, only in school though, and maybe when i'm traveling, but not by bus or anything.

Be prepared to see your HD800's turn into chipped and beaten relics if you travel with them. Mine slipped off a speaker and clipped the edge of my glasses ( don't ask), and were then caught. All in all a fall of 18 inches that took a chunk out of the paint and plastic on the driver surround.

Do not travel with the HD800 unless you can enjoy them for their sound only, with no concern for cosmetics, or resale value.

Oct 23, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #164 of 548

Quote:
Be prepared to see your HD800's turn into chipped and beaten relics if you travel with them. Mine slipped off a speaker and clipped the edge of my glasses ( don't ask), and were then caught. All in all a fall of 18 inches that took a chunk out of the paint and plastic on the driver surround.

Do not travel with the HD800 unless you can enjoy them for their sound only, with no concern for cosmetics, or resale value.

If there is ONE thing my friends and family knows me for - it's taking GREAT, GREAT care of my gear... 

Thanks for the advice, though...

Oct 23, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #165 of 548
The E7 will struggle to power anything above 150ohm, my sennhesier pxc450 are 150ohm and the E7 struggles with them it just about powers them on max volume, the E7 sounds great with whatever i use it with sound quality wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back