Resistance of cables; pics, comments, and links
Oct 7, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #136 of 407
Today I received my OKCSC TRRS to TRS adapter, that I bought HERE
Well made, nice quality and build for the price especially, highly recommended
Thanks for the discover :) it will officially replace my old FiiO L26 (which was malfunctionning sometimes)

2.jpg
1.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #137 of 407
added dd adapter to the list. the ribbon connection ruins the great adapter it could be.

12. dd mini angled...........................52.4...39.4...39.4...39.9
......dd mini angled 2.5-4.4...............52.5...44.9...51.8...68.3
the 2.5mm socket is like those used into sources' cases, so expect longer durability (time will tell).
but the conductivity is very poor. the culprit is the flexible gold plated ribbon/pcb used to connect the contacts (thin and not great material probably).
links:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000164103882.html
ad12_dd_35-44_L01straight_02.jpg

Oct 9, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #138 of 407
electro acousti has stocked 4.4mm balanced female to 3.5mm single-ended male adapter, and 4.4mm balanced female to 2.5mm balanced male adapter.
guess you can customize the wire to match your cable (in case it uses up-occ wire).
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000231198864.html
H6524c849a1ba4c28b2e3959d6ff80086Y.jpg

i've not found such quality wired adapter (plugs and wire) at taobao.
the nearest i found is this adapter, which uses up-occ wire (but worse than the wire of electro acousti adapter) and it's more expensive (near double the price):
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=574805203213
O1CN01cUV8b71kUETuldCCl_!!681394686.jpg

Oct 12, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #139 of 407
Where can I buy the "06. oyaide styled angled"
adapter?

Oct 12, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #140 of 407
added dd adapter to the list. the ribbon connection ruins the great adapter it could be.

12. dd mini angled...........................52.4...39.4...39.4...39.9
......dd mini angled 2.5-4.4...............52.5...44.9...51.8...68.3
the 2.5mm socket is like those used into sources' cases, so expect longer durability (time will tell).
but the conductivity is very poor. the culprit is the flexible gold plated ribbon/pcb used to connect the contacts (thin and not great material probably).
links:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000164103882.html
ad12_dd_35-44_L01straight_02.jpg
I don't know for the expensive and latest models, but many Sony DAPs for years have used similar ribbon paths to link the plug to the circuit. of course they solved the relatively poor conductivity with a clever move:
who cares about a few mohms when you have 4ohm at the output.
199.gif

joke aside, in those DAPs, the ribbons allow for the plug to be tortured without acting as a lever on the soldered contacts, which is actually a brilliant move. but on this plug... I have to ask why? I guess the answer is the same as why the casing is transparent. because it looks kind of cool.

Oct 12, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #141 of 407
I don't know for the expensive and latest models, but many Sony DAPs for years have used similar ribbon paths to link the plug to the circuit. of course they solved the relatively poor conductivity with a clever move:
199.gif

joke aside, in those DAPs, the ribbons allow for the plug to be tortured without acting as a lever on the soldered contacts, which is actually a brilliant move. but on this plug... I have to ask why? I guess the answer is the same as why the casing is transparent. because it looks kind of cool.

Is that why the iPods always had the audio jack attached as a ribbon connection? To maximize the longevity/reliability of the jack?

Oct 12, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #142 of 407
Where can I buy the "06. oyaide styled angled"
adapter?
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=548741571169
and probably at other shops at taobao

199.gif

Is that why the iPods always had the audio jack attached as a ribbon connection? To maximize the longevity/reliability of the jack?
11ohm output impedance at iPod, so guess it's the same case than Sony old DAPs.

Yea, it's kind of stupid move to use that ribbon for a rigid short adapter. Apart of looking cool, the ribbon can allow using an smaller case. I'd had preferred an slightly bigger case and good quality short wires.

Oct 25, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #143 of 407
So... hi cable afficianados, I'm just getting into the cable game (randomly decided to sit down with my cheapo DMM and measure most of my cables). I'm not measuring nearly the resolution you guys are, but most of my raw measurements (not taking into account lead resistance, etc) range from .4 ohms for my pure silver cable to 1.4 ohms for the stock kz zsx cable.

I'm looking at getting a better setup, but one thing I have a big problem with is my shaky hands (OCD medication...). Any recommendations for some desk clamps to help steady the cables/leads and a reasonably priced multi meter? I wandered around the home improvement store yesterday looking for a table or clamp system but found nothing suitable... I hesitate to get a multimeter with alligator clamps given it would be hard to measure each ring on a 2.5mm cable.... But I would like to be measuring better than .1 ohm resolution of my current DMM.

Any cables out there that could make me a believer that say, one copper cable is better than another copper cable based on anything other than resistance and material type?

Right now I'm fairly agnostic, but do hear differences going from Copper to SPC to silver for example. But all my copper really sounds similar even if they're measuring slightly better or worse.... Copper is my go to right now, even though overall my copper measured generally worse than my silver and SPC cables....

Oct 25, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #144 of 407
Any cables out there that could make me a believer that say, one copper cable is better than another copper cable based on anything other than resistance and material type?

No - nobody has ever shown any evidence, in the form of blind ABX tests (pretty much the only scientifically and statistically valid tests in this case) that anything other than resistance (even material type) has any audible effect with cables. (Conversely, plenty of ABX tests have shown attributes other than resistance have in fact no audible affect.) Just get a cable with reasonably low resistance and price and you'll be fine. Of course, any other attributes like weight, softness, flexibility, and aesthetics are up to personal taste. The only things that could make you a believer in anything other than resistance having an audible affect are placebo and unconscious expectation bias.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #145 of 407
So... hi cable afficianados, I'm just getting into the cable game (randomly decided to sit down with my cheapo DMM and measure most of my cables). I'm not measuring nearly the resolution you guys are, but most of my raw measurements (not taking into account lead resistance, etc) range from .4 ohms for my pure silver cable to 1.4 ohms for the stock kz zsx cable.

I'm looking at getting a better setup, but one thing I have a big problem with is my shaky hands (OCD medication...). Any recommendations for some desk clamps to help steady the cables/leads and a reasonably priced multi meter? I wandered around the home improvement store yesterday looking for a table or clamp system but found nothing suitable... I hesitate to get a multimeter with alligator clamps given it would be hard to measure each ring on a 2.5mm cable.... But I would like to be measuring better than .1 ohm resolution of my current DMM.

Right now I'm fairly agnostic, but do hear differences going from Copper to SPC to silver for example. But all my copper really sounds similar even if they're measuring slightly better or worse.... Copper is my go to right now, even though overall my copper measured generally worse than my silver and SPC cables....
yes, "but do hear differences going from Copper to SPC to silver for example". i was in the same boat, skeptic when started to try cables. and also hear clear differences between different materials, even comparing different copper wires; i'll do an ABX soon, controlled by my brother, audio engineer and non-believer in cables; hope the result will be enough to shut up trolls.
get any up-occ cable, and compare it to your other cables, and you'll notice the difference. my actual fav cable is 175 in my list. please read my first posts in this thread.

for resistance measurements (mΩ), i use Vapcell YR1030 (https://lygte-info.dk/review/InternalResistanceMeterYR1030 UK.html , around $38), because of its resolution (~1mΩ) and because it uses 4 terminal leads (alligator clamps or probes, like showed at https://lygte-info.dk/review/InternalResistanceMeterYR1035 UK.html ); this is very comfortable: you don't have to subtract leads resistance, and measurements are more stable.
the width of the alligators is similar to the width of the ring in 2.5mm plugs, so it is comfortable (i also own shaky hands).

Oct 25, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #146 of 407
yes, "but do hear differences going from Copper to SPC to silver for example". i was in the same boat, skeptic when started to try cables. and also hear clear differences between different materials, even comparing different copper wires; i'll do an ABX soon, controlled by my brother, audio engineer and non-believer in cables; hope the result will be enough to shut up trolls.
get any up-occ cable, and compare it to your other cables, and you'll notice the difference. my actual fav cable is 175 in my list. please read my first posts in this thread.

for resistance measurements (mΩ), i use Vapcell YR1030 (https://lygte-info.dk/review/InternalResistanceMeterYR1030 UK.html , around $38), because of its resolution (~1mΩ) and because it uses 4 terminal leads (alligator clamps or probes, like showed at https://lygte-info.dk/review/InternalResistanceMeterYR1035 UK.html ); this is very comfortable: you don't have to subtract leads resistance, and measurements are more stable.
the width of the alligators is similar to the width of the ring in 2.5mm plugs, so it is comfortable (i also own shaky hands).
Excellent! I look forward to using you as a resource, if you'll let me, as I get started into this.

I just got 3 new pairs of iems and one 8 core nicehck Cooper in the mail. For $9.46 that 8 core cable measures as good as the rest of my cables at .5 ohms minus the lead resistance. Definitely will be buying more of those... The stock cable for the Shuoer Tape measures the same, mighty nice for a stock cable on a $130 IEM.

Oct 25, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #147 of 407
No - nobody has ever shown any evidence, in the form of blind ABX tests (the only scientifically and statistically valid tests in this case) that anything other than resistance (even material type) has any audible effect with cables. (Conversely, plenty of ABX tests have shown attributes other than resistance have in fact no audible affect.) Just get a cable with reasonably low resistance and price and you'll be fine. Of course, any other attributes like weight, softness, flexibility, and aesthetics are up to personal taste. The only things that could make you a believer in anything other than resistance having an audible affect are placebo and unconscious expectation bias.
Funny you mention that. This first 2.5mm balanced cable I ordered was a SPC no name brand. I always thought it was extremely bass light by virtue of SPC. I just measured it, and it was my worst aftermarket cable at 1.2 ohms (I have somewhere between. 2-.3 ohm lead resistance).

So my experience with one cable has essentially molded my views in many ways and now I'm questioning my assumptions even more since measuring it....

Oct 25, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #148 of 407
Funny you mention that. This first 2.5mm balanced cable I ordered was a SPC no name brand. I always thought it was extremely bass light by virtue of SPC. I just measured it, and it was my worst aftermarket cable at 1.2 ohms (I have somewhere between. 2-.3 ohm lead resistance).

So my experience with one cable has essentially molded my views in many ways and now I'm questioning my assumptions even more since measuring it....
and we know that relying on an anecdote is the best way to always be right about a general idea.:wink:
first, different situations lead to different results. even the most ignorant guy will guess that if I used an IEM cable to carry high voltage to the next town, it wouldn't last long. it's not too hard to get that extremely different cases require different cables. but jumping from that to thinking that we're going to change our musical experience entirely by replacing a wire, there is room for a little caution. if you want lower impedance, you'll want plugs that are tight, bigger contact surfaces, and of course larger wires(or several smaller ones in parallel). there is no secret, if you give the current twice the room, you'll halve the resistance(assuming the limit isn't set somewhere else at the plug). but who wants to carry some big fat IEM cable with giant banana plugs at both ends? not me. and there is the entire mystery of IEM cables, solved. like with absolutely anything else, the best option is a compromise between many variables and not some dumb push for one variable at any price no matter the side effects for the other variables
if impedance/resistance is you new obsession, you might care to know that in most cases a balanced setup will about double the impedance of the amp section. or that for the IEM, the source's impedance is the amp output+the cable, so going crazy over cables should motivate even people obsessed(probably for the wrong reasons) to at least try to be consistent and care about the amp's output too. when I see people happy to save 0.2ohm on a silver cable but they also go balanced and add a full ohm that way, they might want to rethink their understanding of the situation.

believers and non believers are both doing it wrong. we shouldn't treat electricity as a gut feeling, an opinion, or a belief. if electrons act so consistently and predictably that some dude once seriously wondered if all the electrons in the universe weren't in fact the same single electron moving through space and time, I believe we can bother treating electrical signals as factual objective events instead of subjective ideas. that in turn, means actually testing stuff before saying that we know something about it. I get how annoying it is to even have those conversations, and people who keep replying "no you didn't" when you tell them you experienced something. it pisses me off too because of course I've experienced IEM cables making an audible difference on occasion over the years. the right conclusion to an empty claim is not the opposite empty claim and people weren't with us when we experienced what we did(or thought we did). but that alone never makes it ok to draw objective conclusions from sighted impressions. as long as audiophiles will act like the total sum of requirements to study something objectively is:
-put IEM on
-press play
-what do I feel?

everybody who has half a clue will treat them like overconfident fools. rightfully so. pride and unwarranted self confidence do not replace proper experimentation. never did, never will. if people really cared about the truth and sharing factual information, well first they wouldn't make 3 empty claims per post, but they would pay attention to saying that they feel(whatever it is they subjectively experienced). and only start talking about how a cable made an audible change once they have properly tested that in a controlled test. in a perfect world audiophile would all know, understand and respect that distinction, and our hobby wouldn't be a running gag for everybody else. it would be quite simple to do things right when we think about it. no need to properly test everything, so long as we don't talk like we already did.

No - nobody has ever shown any evidence, in the form of blind ABX tests (the only scientifically and statistically valid tests in this case) that anything other than resistance (even material type) has any audible effect with cables. (Conversely, plenty of ABX tests have shown attributes other than resistance have in fact no audible affect.) Just get a cable with reasonably low resistance and price and you'll be fine. Of course, any other attributes like weight, softness, flexibility, and aesthetics are up to personal taste. The only things that could make you a believer in anything other than resistance having an audible affect are placebo and unconscious expectation bias.
first, you might have a real hard time finding even 10 proper abx tests from different people about IEM cables. so not finding one doesn't really demonstrate anything.
second, I would find this less objectionable if you had said impedance instead of resistance. because I'm sure we can manufacture some conditions stupid enough to have audible frequency roll off from capacitance. and perhaps some really absurd(so it's audible) amount of crosstalk sometimes.
but yes, impedance, with a big part being resistance, is probably the main cause for audible changes caused by IEM cables. like making one slightly louder, or leading to a little change in the IEM's FR. neither being much of anything in term of objective improvement, so that alone makes IMO the search for the perfect cable a lot less interesting as i already use a very nice EQ and volume control for those tasks. but as always, there is some room between making sure we avoid very crappy cables, and going crazy over every details. I don't really care about cables, but I'm confident that I test mine more strictly than most people passionate about their audio cables will ever do. so maybe I'm the one obsessed with cables? ^_^

Oct 25, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #149 of 407
Here we go again... ad nauseam

Oct 25, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #150 of 407
believers and non believers are both doing it wrong. we shouldn't treat electricity as a gut feeling, an opinion, or a belief. if electrons act so consistently and predictably that some dude once seriously wondered if all the electrons in the universe weren't in fact the same single electron moving through space and time, I believe we can bother treating electrical signals as factual objective events instead of subjective ideas. that in turn, means actually testing stuff before saying that we know something about it. I get how annoying it is to even have those conversations, and people who keep replying "no you didn't" when you tell them you experienced something. it pisses me off too because of course I've experienced IEM cables making an audible difference on occasion over the years. the right conclusion to an empty claim is not the opposite empty claim and people weren't with us when we experienced what we did(or thought we did). but that alone never makes it ok to draw objective conclusions from sighted impressions. as long as audiophiles will act like the total sum of requirements to study something objectively is:
-put IEM on
-press play
-what do I feel?

everybody who has half a clue will treat them like overconfident fools. rightfully so. pride and unwarranted self confidence do not replace proper experimentation. never did, never will. if people really cared about the truth and sharing factual information, well first they wouldn't make 3 empty claims per post, but they would pay attention to saying that they feel(whatever it is they subjectively experienced). and only start talking about how a cable made an audible change once they have properly tested that in a controlled test. in a perfect world audiophile would all know, understand and respect that distinction, and our hobby wouldn't be a running gag for everybody else. it would be quite simple to do things right when we think about it. no need to properly test everything, so long as we don't talk like we already did.
yea, that's why i started measuring resistance, and then capacitance. i'm also to do some frequency response, distortion, crosstalk, etc. measurements. but i feel there is something more which i'm not able to measure. for example, sound stage or which parts of the conductor are mostly used depending of frequencies, topology, and other near currents and dielectric used (maybe i can do some tests with different frequencies tones). there might be very tiny differences which are amplified by our brain / perception process.
because i can notice the difference of sound between a pure silver and a ofc copper cable, even though they measure the same in my limited measurements.
that's why i want to make the blind test. many people respect this method, although statistics prove nothing to me either. i'll always stay in skeptic but open minded and in subjective side.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back