RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Feb 24, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #1,681 of 3,674
wow, how did you arrive with that 5% sound alteration number? Any specific method you did when testing the C9?

Braine telepathics ! Add some quantum formulas a loop visual threw a black hole and there you see a light code! Thats the answer once you decoded the light messages 😎😃😛

Feb 24, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #1,682 of 3,674
Feb 24, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #1,683 of 3,674
Mysteries and ufo's are roaming around!
Soon the world will be unvaled the thruth!
Tia MYSTIOS will be undisclosed.

Thanks to my buyer he let me 2 weeks more to enjoy my last fun with my noirs 🥰😎

@riverground said you will be present next time we meet up, :deadhorse:
Someone's ass gonna be beeten up 😝😝😝 full of claws sctraches 🤣🤣🤣
And truck tires marks all over you 😝

weirdest post i've seen on hf.

congrats mystios ears.

:relieved:

Feb 24, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #1,684 of 3,674
Feb 24, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #1,685 of 3,674
Feb 24, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #1,686 of 3,674
Feb 25, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #1,688 of 3,674
I got rid of the R8 for the opposite reason-ish... the noise floor on it is quite poor with sensitive IEMs. At $1900 I personally think that’s inexcusable.
Exactly why I avoid ultra sensitive IEMs. I think I'm fairly sensitive to hiss, but there's zero noise with the R8 on HG + Turbo with the Fourte or Legend X. I think sensitivity like you see in Campfire Audio IEMs is inexcusable in this day and age.
Sometimes when we say it is all about synergy, it will make it sound like something so specific. Hence, when Hugo 2 can give excellent performance for such a wide range of devices, I think it will be a bit weird to say that it has good synergy with so many items - it is just a better source device. I now have a similar experience in C9.
Synergy is just another way of saying the combination hits your preferences. Just because I think an IEM + DAP have synergy doesn't mean someone else will. Something like the Hugo2 has a very particular sound and tends to push that sound profile onto most things you plug into it. So a large number of people finding synergy with their IEMs or headphones and the H2 probably means they like the sound of the H2. The C9 will have a similar influence, as would most good amps.

Feb 25, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #1,689 of 3,674
Exactly why I avoid ultra sensitive IEMs.
This is an interesting comment. Hypothetically, if your Fourte or LX were sensitive to hiss, would you consider changing your IEM’s before changing your DAP?

I’ve always considered the transducer to be the most important part of the audio chain, so if a DAP/source didn’t work for my chosen IEM, I would prioritise changing them out first before exploring other IEM’s.

But now that I think about it, it would probably make more sense to switch out the IEM first, given how many high quality options there are in the market.

Regarding Campfire’s sensitivity, I agree that it’s not ideal and can understand why it would be a dealbreaker for many. But on the flip side, their ability to be driven sufficiently off literally anything can be advantageous if you’re someone that has zero interest in owning dedicated source equipment. A simple dongle such as the iPhone lightning 3.5mm adaptor can drive the Andromeda’s perfectly fine and actually sounds very good, with no hiss. Also, most modern DAPs that I’ve tried with Campfire stuff haven’t hissed all that much anyway, so it hasn’t been much of an issue for me personally. The bigger issue has been impedance matching.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #1,690 of 3,674
This is an interesting comment. Hypothetically, if your Fourte or LX were sensitive to hiss, would you consider changing your IEM’s before changing your DAP?
That's a good question. I think if the DAP was noisy with these two IEMs I'd change the DAP for sure. There's absolutely no excuse for a high noise floor in a flagship DAP, but then I don't consider the R8 to have a high noise floor - quite the opposite. That said, there are several experienced people I know of (now including @aaf evo) that hear noise with it and their IEMs, so it's possible I'm just lucky with my hearing (or lack thereof) 😅

Feb 25, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #1,691 of 3,674
Exactly why I avoid ultra sensitive IEMs. I think I'm fairly sensitive to hiss, but there's zero noise with the R8 on HG + Turbo with the Fourte or Legend X. I think sensitivity like you see in Campfire Audio IEMs is inexcusable in this day and age.

Synergy is just another way of saying the combination hits your preferences. Just because I think an IEM + DAP have synergy doesn't mean someone else will. Something like the Hugo2 has a very particular sound and tends to push that sound profile onto most things you plug into it. So a large number of people finding synergy with their IEMs or headphones and the H2 probably means they like the sound of the H2. The C9 will have a similar influence, as would most good amps.
This

I’ve always considered the transducer to be the most important part of the audio chain, so if a DAP/source didn’t work for my chosen IEM, I would prioritise changing them out first before exploring other IEM’s.

But now that I think about it, it would probably make more sense to switch out the IEM first, given how many high quality options there are in the market.

Regarding Campfire’s sensitivity, I agree that it’s not ideal and can understand why it would be a dealbreaker for many. But on the flip side, their ability to be driven sufficiently off literally anything can be advantageous if you’re someone that has zero interest in owning dedicated source equipment. A simple dongle such as the iPhone lightning 3.5mm adaptor can drive the Andromeda’s perfectly fine and actually sounds very good, with no hiss. Also, most modern DAPs that I’ve tried with Campfire stuff haven’t hissed all that much anyway, so it hasn’t been much of an issue for me personally. The bigger issue has been impedance matching.
And this :D

I much prefer harder to drive IEMs myself, but if I love the sound I’ll make the accommodations haha. That being said, every time I buy CFA I get a little mental note about the sensitivity

Feb 25, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #1,692 of 3,674
That's a good question. I think if the DAP was noisy with these two IEMs I'd change the DAP for sure. There's absolutely no excuse for a high noise floor in a flagship DAP, but then I don't consider the R8 to have a high noise floor - quite the opposite. That said, there are several experienced people I know of (now including @aaf evo) that hear noise with it and their IEMs, so it's possible I'm just lucky with my hearing (or lack thereof) 😅

There’s definitely very audible hiss with Erlky out of R8’s 4.4mm. After swapping cable, the hiss is lessened by quite a big margin but still there. It’s a lot better with 3.5mm though.

Feb 25, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #1,694 of 3,674
I didn't realise Erlky was super sensitive.

Neither did I, but apparently it is. The good thing about Erlky is that the sound sig is pretty much consistent with different sources and outputs.

Feb 25, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #1,695 of 3,674
Interesting. Specs for the Erlk are 105dB/mW which is not particularly sensitive so there shouldn't be hiss?

For comparison, something like a 64 Audio Tia Fourte is 114db/mW and offerings from CA are typically all around 122-124db/mW (hence the high potential for hiss).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back