Rank the IEM's you've heard
Nov 23, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #4,261 of 5,136
I agree that it's not all subjective. I would even go further and say that there is a foundation of objective principles at the root of everything in this hobby-- this is why if two people are being sincere then any discrepancy in the way something is heard can, through discussion, be traced back to things like hearing sensitivities, music library, and so on. However despite the fact that there are clearly objective principles at play this hobby is by and large driven by subjectivity-- which is to say individual responses to objective principles. While any two people can objectively listen to the same thing, no two people will necessarily hear it the same and thus this hobby goes. These "ranking lists" for me are simply favorites lists-- what I happen to be enjoying at a given moment. That said here is my current top 10, that is to say the 10 IEMs I am currently enjoying-- or most fondly remember enjoying-- the most. After about the top 5 it's fairly arbitrary.

1) Annihilator
2) Trifecta
3) Gaea
4) Supermoon
5) EXT
6) Kr5
7) Traillii
8) Mentor
9) Zen Pro
10) IER Z1R
"I agree that it's not all subjective" so where is the Monarch 2 then :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nov 23, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #4,262 of 5,136
"I agree that it's not all subjective" so where is the Monarch 2 then :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Annihilator is in some respects a Monarch 2 with a soul.

Nov 23, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #4,263 of 5,136
I agree that it's not all subjective. I would even go further and say that there is a foundation of objective principles at the root of everything in this hobby-- this is why if two people are being sincere then any discrepancy in the way something is heard can, through discussion, be traced back to things like hearing sensitivities, music library, and so on. However despite the fact that there are clearly objective principles at play this hobby is by and large driven by subjectivity-- which is to say individual responses to objective principles. While any two people can objectively listen to the same thing, no two people will necessarily hear it the same and thus this hobby goes. These "ranking lists" for me are simply favorites lists-- what I happen to be enjoying at a given moment. That said here is my current top 10, that is to say the 10 IEMs I am currently enjoying-- or most fondly remember enjoying-- the most. After about the top 5 it's fairly arbitrary.

1) Annihilator
2) Trifecta
3) Gaea
4) Supermoon
5) EXT
6) Kr5
7) Traillii
8) Mentor
9) Zen Pro
10) IER Z1R
I thought I was going to see Multiverse Mentor first.....🤣🤣

Nov 23, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #4,264 of 5,136
What's funny is that I don't believe this hobby is 'all subjective'. There's a reason a u12t is priced significantly higher than a Bl03, and is rated by almost anyone (even an audio noob) to be better. Tuning may be a preference, but not liking more details in your music or for the sound to image better- well I believe that's simply going opposite of what people would like.
Ok with that :

What's funny is that I don't believe this hobby is 'all subjective'

But there is not an automatic correlation between high quality and high prices.

By the way, the tuning is the more important thing. Then, it all depends on what we are looking for. 😉

Me :

1) homogeneity,
2) balance,
3) no systematism... (sound colouration, specialized tunings or other things like that... : No go...)
4) large dynamic scale AND nuances
5) tones

Nov 23, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #4,266 of 5,136
Nov 23, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #4,267 of 5,136

1) Annihilator
2) Trifecta
3) Gaea
4) Supermoon
5) EXT
6) Kr5
7) Traillii
8) Mentor
9) Zen Pro
10) IER Z1R
I'm wrong sayin that the majority of these are treble oriented?

p.s.: dorado has left the scene :triportsad:

Nov 23, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #4,268 of 5,136
Annihilator = polarized tuning ? 🤔

I find we are talking a lot about their treble qualities... 🧐

In my book, the more important thing is the "everything qualities" so to speak. All the registers...

Same remarks about the contrary, with the bass oriented products...

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #4,269 of 5,136
I'm wrong sayin that the majority of these are treble oriented?

p.s.: dorado has left the scene :triportsad:

Hasn't left Trifecta sort of displaced it.

Nov 23, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #4,272 of 5,136
I just finally made it to Mest Indigo, and it's already long out of contention 🤣

Nov 24, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #4,273 of 5,136

1) Annihilator
2) Trifecta
3) Gaea
4) Supermoon
5) EXT
6) Kr5
7) Traillii
8) Mentor
9) Zen Pro
10) IER Z1R
Hi, is ”X” better than Annihilator based on your personal preference?

Nov 24, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #4,275 of 5,136
I would need to hear X again to say anything really meaningful but the consensus seems to be that X is more source sensitive and when all factors line up probably the superior IEM...but Annihilator is less source sensitive and in general more of an all rounder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back