Rank the IEM's you've heard
Jan 12, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #3,751 of 5,136
I have a pair of Andromedas about 4 years old so not the 2020s..... I like them alot but periodically wonder if there is something that much better out there for under 2k.... Do the Senns or MESTs MkIIs blow these away or is it as I suspect incremental. If I had to fault anything on the Andros to my taste the soundstage isnt that big.... but that could just be IEMs in general. My big cans are HE-Xs as a point of reference.... and their stage is huge in comparison. Thanks for any thoughts.
I own the Andromedas, also 4 years old or so, and going above them with any IEM is incremental. For example, 64 Audio Fourte is not better in all areas. In fact, the Andromeda is probably better in the upper mids/treble though a bit different. And the dd bass of the Fourte is not always more impactful or tighter than the Andromeda. It is better overall, but incrementally. The Traillii is better in every area, but that is allot more money. I personally prefer the Luna to the Andromeda if you like softer highs and you can get deals on that from Andrew at MusicTeck. But in the end, it is still only an incremental change though this would be well below 2k.
( I would also suggest staying away from JH Audio. I feel the Andromeda is better ).

If you want something better overall and around 2K I might suggest going for HP’s. They should be more than an incremental improvement if you can drive them. Maybe a used Focal Utopia or Empyrean as a couple of examples. Probably over 2k though, but they are TOTL’s in the HP area. There are many others you can look into. Good luck.

Jan 12, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #3,752 of 5,136
I own the Andromedas, also 4 years old or so, and going above them with any IEM is incremental. For example, 64 Audio Fourte is not better in all areas. In fact, the Andromeda is probably better in the upper mids/treble though a bit different. And the dd bass of the Fourte is not always more impactful or tighter than the Andromeda. It is better overall, but incrementally. The Traillii is better in every area, but that is allot more money. I personally prefer the Luna to the Andromeda if you like softer highs and you can get deals on that from Andrew at MusicTeck. But in the end, it is still only an incremental change though this would be well below 2k.
( I would also suggest staying away from JH Audio. I feel the Andromeda is better ).

If you want something better overall and around 2K I might suggest going for HP’s. They should be more than an incremental improvement if you can drive them. Maybe a used Focal Utopia or Empyrean as a couple of examples. Probably over 2k though, but they are TOTL’s in the HP area. There are many others you can look into. Good luck.
Is it true JH iems is super dark and muddy sounding? Heard from quite a few people say to stay away from it lol

Jan 12, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #3,753 of 5,136
Is it true JH iems is super dark and muddy sounding? Heard from quite a few people say to stay away from it lol
depends on the model- they are overall dark with a narrow spike in the treble that gives it some attack and air up top. They are pretty paradoxical iems overall- they are rich with weight and heaviness to the notes- never sound thin. But they have some of the best attack overall so notes hit with impact and authority, but a natural decay so notes do linger slightly.

also they lean towards lower mids emphasis with a slight dip in the upper mids, and generally great mid bass and subbass but again thick weighty notes.

i think this can lead to the muddiness comment- turning up the bass nobs on iems that have that option can lead to too much mid bass and lead to muddiness- so the tuning does that no favors

but overall they are actually very tight and clean iems, but the tuning isnt a "clean" tuning it that sense. But compare it to westone, earsonics, or other manufacturers that use this tuning and jh is tighter and cleaner overall.

the signature treble spike balances the darkness from the upper mid dip and gives some air and spiciness to the top end.

the combination of rich thick notes, the tuning with generous midbass and lower mids, upper mids recession, narrow treble spike, gives it a unique house sound and isnt a recipe for obvious clarity or reference tuning/sound

The other thing that jh does as good or better than anyone is layering and overall depth to the sound. Theres just something in their texture thats unique and it never sounds 2d or wall of sound, there is a broad dynamic range (loud/soft sounds) and a depth to the overall sound and texture that adds to the richness of their sound

when you combine the above (darker thicker rich sound sig) WITH class leading attack and in your face impact, along with being textured and very layered in their sound, they are quite unique.

its not trying to sound like they aren't there, but they do sound great and the overall combination is very hard to find anywhere else.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #3,754 of 5,136
most balanced sounding high end jh iems are going to be the jolene, angie, and jh13v2 performance

darker are going to be the jh16v2, layla, lola, roxanne

Jan 12, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #3,756 of 5,136
I personally prefer the Luna to the Andromeda

That was a fair and honest appraisal of the Andromeda.

In other news I'm currently in love with the Dunu Zen Pro. Luna was an IEM I wondered about from a distance and came close to purchasing a couple times due to some positive reports I'd read from trusted folks. Hearing the Zen Pro gives me a sense of Dunu's approach to tuning and since getting it I've wondered how it will compare to the Luna, which is twice the price but an earlier model and still a single DD.

Jan 12, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #3,757 of 5,136
Their bass is muddy compared to the best available, and that can in turn affect their overall timbre. Turning up their models with adjustable bass does not tighten it up, just provides more boominess. Better IEM’s are available ( the Luna and Andromeda as examples. Ely, V8, Erlk, Traillii to name a few others.

Jan 12, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #3,758 of 5,136

In other news I'm currently in love with the Dunu Zen Pro. Luna was an IEM I wondered about from a distance and came close to purchasing a couple times due to some positive reports I'd read from trusted folks. Hearing the Zen Pro gives me a sense of Dunu's approach to tuning and since getting it I've wondered how it will compare to the Luna, which is twice the price but an earlier model and still a single DD.
I have Andromeda 2019.Which model do you think? Clearly superior to Andromeda. Pop, rock, jazz, strings, almost all genres, heavy meta, rarely listen to it.

Jan 12, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #3,759 of 5,136
M

To provide a more detailed description for you in comparison to the Ely which you liked, I found the Luna capable of delivering stronger bass and has softer treble. Let’s say a track that might be sibilant on a female vocal on the Ely, might not be on the Luna. The Ely had a more accurate and open midrange, but not always, and the Luna is still excellent in this region. The bass of the Luna is not always present. When called for (and with some power) it will come to the forefront. I found the Luna competitive though much lighter in overall presentation to the Thummim.

The Luna is also very dependent on the correct fit to hear its bass. You need to try different tips (Azla light shorts for me). At first listen if you hear it as bass shy, the fit is probably not right. Try some different tips. As the Luna is small, it is also very comfortable ( assuming they fit you).

Jan 12, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #3,760 of 5,136
I have Andromeda 2019.Which model do you think? Clearly superior to Andromeda. Pop, rock, jazz, strings, almost all genres, heavy meta, rarely listen to it.

Depends on how much you're looking to spend really. As @Frankie D said "clearly superior" can mean a lot of things. Andromeda is a rather unique blend of fun, emotive & technical-- finding something that betters it across the board is a tall order. For me: Traillii, Elysium, Zen Pro...heck even the Andromeda 2020...could all qualify.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #3,761 of 5,136
Depends on how much you're looking to spend really. As @Frankie D said "clearly superior" can mean a lot of things. Andromeda is a rather unique blend of fun, emotive & technical-- finding something that betters it across the board is a tall order. For me: Traillii, Elysium, Zen Pro...heck even the Andromeda 2020...could all qualify.
budget $1000-2200.I bought it and saw the difference from Andro.Having options to decide would be great. I don't have many headphones that go through my ears based on reviews.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #3,762 of 5,136
budget $1000-2200.I bought it and saw the difference from Andro.Having options to decide would be great. I don't have many headphones that go through my ears based on reviews.
Have you tried the Solaris? If you enjoy the Andromeda sound but want a bit of a bigger stage, Solaris could be a good choice.

Other than that, MEST MK2 would be my choice within the sub $2k bracket if you specifically want a soundstage improvement. Although, I don't think MEST MK2's stage actually sounds much larger than the Andromeda's (in fact, I think it's probably a little narrower in terms of width from memory), however the bone conduction driver in MEST creates a unique 3D imaging presentation that you might enjoy?

Sony IER-Z1R has a large stage too, but its hard to recommend it because of its massive shell and the potential fit issue.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #3,763 of 5,136
I had the OG MEST and sold them. What IEM excels at the priorities you're referring to?

I'm looking for something that is musical and a good compliment to the Z1R, might be my new EDC (was the SA6, then Timeless, then the KB Believe, and currently Ikko OH10). Looking for comfort to wear while at work 8hrs. I mostly use 1 IEM at a time bc I answer phones during the day, but also want something to listen to casually while relaxing.
Catching up in this thread -- I also have the Ikko OH10, and in the past 3-4 months have tried several other IEMs in the under $300 range as an upgrade or improvement over the OH10. I've tried the Fiio FH5 and Moondrop KATO -- they were very similar, to my ear, and too mid-centered for me, without the excellent bass extension of the OH10, so they went away.

I now have the MD Blessing 2 (OG, not Dusk), and it is pretty close to the OH10, but thinner notes, smaller soundstage, and it is not quite able to keep up the double kicks in prog-metal stuff I foray into (Dream Theater, Tool, Plini, etc.). The OH10 is withstanding other contenders and knocking them down!! I haven't tried the Thieaudio (L3/4/5) or Unique Melody 3DT yet -- keeping an eye out for used ones in the classifieds that don't get bought up in under 10 minutes (the 3DT!).

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #3,764 of 5,136
Catching up in this thread -- I also have the Ikko OH10, and in the past 3-4 months have tried several other IEMs in the under $300 range as an upgrade or improvement over the OH10. I've tried the Fiio FH5 and Moondrop KATO -- they were very similar, to my ear, and too mid-centered for me, without the excellent bass extension of the OH10, so they went away.

I now have the MD Blessing 2 (OG, not Dusk), and it is pretty close to the OH10, but thinner notes, smaller soundstage, and it is not quite able to keep up the double kicks in prog-metal stuff I foray into (Dream Theater, Tool, Plini, etc.). The OH10 is withstanding other contenders and knocking them down!! I haven't tried the Thieaudio (L3/4/5) or Unique Melody 3DT yet -- keeping an eye out for used ones in the classifieds that don't get bought up in under 10 minutes (the 3DT!).
i kept the OH10 over the FH5 as well. the OH10 are hard to beat, especially at their low price.

i have also wanted to try the L3/4/5 and 3DT, and was just about to buy the 3DT, but i didnt go through with it.

another thing i like about the OH10 is that it sits in my ears perfectly, i can wear them all day and forget they're there.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #3,765 of 5,136
i kept the OH10 over the FH5 as well. the OH10 are hard to beat, especially at their low price.

i have also wanted to try the L3/4/5 and 3DT, and was just about to buy the 3DT, but i didnt go through with it.

another thing i like about the OH10 is that it sits in my ears perfectly, i can wear them all day and forget they're there.
Would you say the oh10 comparable to z1r since you like them so much?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back