Rank the IEM's you've heard
May 20, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #3,121 of 5,197
Are there any IEMs with near TOTL technicalities AND great timbre?

My ventures into 1k + IEMs have been disappointing because I haven't found the money translates into better timbre. In fact timbre is often worse than cheaper models due to reliance on BAs. Plus expensive models often have often incoherency and wonky tonality from my experience. They do invariably have better technicalities though.

Might be worth looking into the UM 3DT if you've not tried it. Some great DD timbre when powered by the right source :)

May 20, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #3,122 of 5,197
Might be worth looking into the UM 3DT if you've not tried it. Some great DD timbre when powered by the right source :)

WIll second this...I wouldn't say it has TOTL technicalities though, and imho it needs a slight mod to tone down the ChiFi tuning and sound its best...but it's a spectacular IEM for the price.

May 20, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #3,123 of 5,197
WIll second this...I wouldn't say it has TOTL technicalities though, and imho it needs a slight mod to tone down the ChiFi tuning and sound its best...but it's a spectacular IEM for the price.

I will second this. Such a bargain all things considered...

May 20, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #3,124 of 5,197
I won't dispute this but if we're talking about "TOTL timbre" then those of us who are OCD about this sort of thing may find a DD essential. Elysium has opened my eyes to to the potential of hybrids with DD mids. Much of my love for the Dorado 2020 is rooted in its dynamic mids, though I know the sig on the whole is not for everyone. Now that I'm writing this the JH Jolene is another IEM to consider as it has a DD doing the mids (and e-stat highs I believe). It's not available as a uni yet but it should be eventually.
hmm interesting, I don't think I've tried a DD driven mid IEM. The Dorado was one on my radar for later 2020, but the 3DT also looks interesting for the price. But agree the mod is necessary to be de-chi-fi tune it.....

May 20, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #3,125 of 5,197
hmm interesting, I don't think I've tried a DD driven mid IEM. The Dorado was one on my radar for later 2020, but the 3DT also looks interesting for the price. But agree the mod is necessary to be de-chi-fi tune it.....

In fairness I should clarify that the 3DT isn't really an egregious offender in that regard...but a slight filter mod gives the mid-bass a little lift and tones down the upper mids just a wee bit...but it's still a great IEM either way.

May 20, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #3,126 of 5,197
Meanwhile I've been quietly enjoying my 'technically deficient' BL-03 with its glorious DD timbre and coherent tonality all day today 😁

May 20, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #3,127 of 5,197
graph (81)~2.png

Graphs are fairly limited in what they show, but there's a reason the BL-03 is considered to have TOTL-level tuning (fwiw I consider LX close to my perfect tuning when it comes to warm-leaning, spacious musicality with a visceral bass foundation).

May 20, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #3,128 of 5,197
Will second this too. With the right dap, fw and cable, 3DT is unbelievable good. Best timbre I’ve heard, period. In fact I would say technicalities will reflect the said sources and chains, so smooth and analogue, doesn’t lose and even best Andromeda, or even Elysium. I really adore 3DT

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #3,129 of 5,197
In fairness I should clarify that the 3DT isn't really an egregious offender in that regard...but a slight filter mod gives the mid-bass a little lift and tones down the upper mids just a wee bit...but it's still a great IEM either way.
Many people like the 3DT with stock tuning. I happen to like it more with a partial Moondrop filter over the nozzle to tame down the upper mids and lower treble a little, but I still enjoy it in stock form. The stock tuning is bright, and provides a lot of clarity.

Will second this too. With the right dap, fw and cable, 3DT is unbelievable good. Best timbre I’ve heard, period. In fact I would say technicalities will reflect the said sources and chains, so smooth and analogue, doesn’t lose and even best Andromeda, or even Elysium. I really adore 3DT
Timbre is excellent on the 3DT, and I think the technicalities are really impressive as well. While the technicalities are not quite on par with the TOTL hybrid IEMs, I don’t find it lacking either. In fact, when it comes to microdetail retrieval, resolution, and transients, I find it on par with the OG MEST. The MEST is superior with soundstage, imaging, and upper treble extension, though on the last point, the treble extension also brings a lot of artificial timbre.

May 22, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #3,130 of 5,197
Okay, decided to re-do my ranking list. I wasn’t happy with my last effort and had trouble trying to group them into tiers. I think a straight up ranking list makes more sense for me. Added some short pros & cons to each one :)

1. Oriolus Traillii
    Pros: The most tonally balanced and technical IEM I’ve heard to date. The most realistic BA bass I’ve heard. The best treble I’ve heard. The best imaging and largest soundstage I’ve heard. Sounds excellent out of any source. TOTL stock cable.
    Cons: Price. Packaging. Design/aesthetics are underwhelming for its price tag.

2. Vision Ears Erlkonig
    Pros: The best mids I’ve heard. Highly technical and detailed. Versatile tuning switch system. Extremely premium build quality, packaging and accessories.
    Cons: Price. Sensitive to source (hissing, tonality changes). Heavy shells that may cause fit issues for some. Discontinued.

3. Empire Ears Odin
    Pros: My favourite bass from any IEM. Insane technicalities and coherency. Beautiful faceplates. High end stock cable. Great packaging.
    Cons: I would prefer slightly pulled back upper mids. Average treble extension.

4. Sony IER-Z1R
    Pros: 2nd favourite treble. 3rd favourite bass (favourite sub bass). Great soundstage and imaging. Awesome stock cables, accessories and packaging. Probably the best IEM for its price considering it’s sound quality and packaging/accessories. When paired with a DMP-Z1, it is up there with the best portable audio I’ve experienced.
    Cons: Lower mids are pretty recessed. Average detail retrieval. Bass dynamics are lacking. A little more upper treble would be nice. Huge shells which cause fit issues for many (luckily they fit me fine). Needs lots of power. Kinda source picky in terms of tonality (can sound either too bright or too bassy with some sources).

5. Empire Ears Legend X SE
    Pros: A less L-shaped, more W shaped Legend X. Incredible bass. Highly technical.
    Cons: Limited availability. Price. Somewhat source dependant (neutral source is my preference)

6. VE Elysium
    Pros: 2nd favourite mids. Beautifully balanced tonality. Highly coherent. Next level unboxing experience. Extremely comfortable. One of my favourite IEM designs.
    Cons: Needs lots of power.

7. 64 Audio Fourte Noir
    Pros: The most musical and engaging 64 Audio IEM I’ve heard so far. Huge soundstage width. Great design. Nice stock cable.
    Cons: Price. Limited availability. Accessories are pretty average for the asking price.

8. Campfire Andromeda MW10
    Pros: Highly engaging warm U-shaped tonality. The best Andromeda in my opinion. Better mids than V3, better treble than 2020.
    Cons: Limited Edition. Usual Andromeda issues of sensitivity/hissing/impedance matching.

9. 64 Audio U12t
    Pros: The ultimate all-rounder. Does everything well. Insane BA bass. Very technical.
    Cons: Kinda boring in both sound and aesthetics. Stock cable is a joke.

10. Empire Ears Legend X
    Pros: Ultra fun bass with excellent technicalities. Top-notch Lower mids.
    Cons: A little too L-shaped for my music taste.

11. Sony IER-M9
    Pros: A jack of all trades. Great balance between lower and upper mids. Great bass for a BA. Excellent treble extension without being harsh. One of the best BA IEM’s for realistic timbre. Great technicalities. Value for money.
    Cons: Boring. Bass is a little slow and can sound disjointed. Not the widest soundstage. Fit can be an issue (vacuum seal).

12. Campfire Andromeda 2020
    Pros: Excellent balance across the FR. Engaging tuning. Nice mids. Huge staging.
    Cons: Low impedance/sensitivity. Prone to hissing. Average bass.

13. 64 Audio Tia Trio
    Pros: Awesome bass and treble. Big soundstage. Great tuning for EDM.
    Cons: I don’t like how disjointed/incoherent the bass sounds to the rest of the FR. A bit too boring for me.

14. Campfire Solaris SE
    Pros: Holographic stage. Well balanced. Sparkly treble. Versatile with lots of music genres.
    Cons: Sensitive to source/hissing. Low impedance.

15. Campfire Solaris 2020
    Pros: Same as above with a slightly narrower stage. Much better fit than the original.
    Cons: Same as above but slightly less source sensitive (higher impedance)

16. 64 Audio Nio
    Pros: Versatile with the Mx modules. Big bassy L-shaped sound with M15/M20 modules, neutral with Mx. Non-fatiguing treble. Great mids. Beautiful design. Technically proficient.
    Cons: Somewhat boring with Mx module, and too bassy with M15/M20.

17. QDC Anole VX
    Pros: The most detailed IEM I’ve heard. A technical master. Tuning switches. Great fit and comfort.
    Cons: QDC 2-pin connectors that are reverse polarity so cable rolling is annoying. Intense lower treble. Narrow soundstage.

18. MMR Thummim
    Pros: Big stage. Hard hitting mid bass. Excellent build quality and unique design. High end stock cable.
    Cons: Price. Too much mid bass for my taste without enough sub bass. Not the most engaging sound signature. Fit was a bit of an issue for me (lots of tip rolling required) Kinda dark treble. Wish it came with a better storage case.

19. Noble Sultan
    Pros: Great sub bass. Excellent instrument layering. Great build and design.
    Cons: Treble sounds a bit textureless and shrill with certain sources.

20. Campfire Solaris OG
    Pros: Holographic soundstage. balanced sound signature. Sparkly treble.
    Cons: Mids are lacking texture. Source sensitivity/hissing.

21. Campfire Andromeda Gold
    Pros: Fun, bassy tuning. Super comfortable (why can’t all Andro’s have this longer nozzle!)
    Cons: Even more sensitive than the OG Andro.

22. Campfire Andromeda S
    Pros: Better mids than the OG. The most beautiful Andromeda when they aren’t scratched up imo.
    Cons: a bit too much mid bass compared to OG Andro. Sensitive. Shells scratch easily.

23. Campfire Andromeda OG
    Pros: Large soundstage. Sparkly treble.
    Cons: BA bass. Upper mids are a little too recessed for me. There are better sounding Andro’s these days.

24. 64 Audio A18s (universal demo) *I suspect my unit was faulty so take these notes with a huge grain of salt*
    Pros: Non-fatiguing tuning. Wide stage.
    Cons: Terrible bass. Too much mid bass and basically no sub bass. Bass texture was completely lacking. Overly warm mids and treble. Below average dynamics.

25. Sony XBA-Z5
    Pros: Huge bass. Massive soundstage. Nice mids. Great value.
    Cons: Mid bass bleed. Weird design. Not the most resolving.

26. Sony EX1000
    Pros: One of the most unique soundstages I’ve heard. Huge, open sounding (like listening to an open back headphone). Great timbre.
    Cons: lower/mid-treble peak that can cause sibilance and fatigue. Bass is too neutral for my preferences. Can get a little congested especially in the midrange. I Need EQ to increase bass and reduce treble to enjoy listening to it. Proprietary cable connectors.

27. Sony XBA-N3
    Pros: L-shaped bass cannon. Zero fatigue. One of the most comfortable IEM’s I’ve ever used.
    Cons: Not very technical at all. Overly smooth transients.

28. Rhapsodio Infinity Mk2
    Pros: Nice design.
    Cons: Expensive. Very forward lower treble. Distant mids. Terrible bass.

29. FiiO FD5
    Pros: Huge soundstage width. Quite detailed for a single DD. Excellent packaging and accessories, especially the cable. Good price.
    Cons: Too v-shaped. Upper mids sound thin. Treble is a bit splashy.

30. KZ ZAX
    Pros: Fun V-shaped sound. Good bass. Decent technicalities. Pretty detailed. Good build quality. Great value for money.
    Cons: Mids are too recessed. Treble might be a bit hot for some.

31. BLON BL-05s
    Pros: Very comfortable. Well tuned sound sig (neutral with slight bass boost). Great value.
    Cons: Terrible accessories (replacement cable and tips are a must), needs a fair bit of power to shine.

32. Sony MH755
    Pros: Unbelievable value. Satisfying sub bass.
    Cons: Stock cable. Can be hard to find a genuine unit.

33. Sony MH1C
    Pros: Excellent sound quality for the price. Nice build quality.
    Cons: Stock cable. Gets congested with complex passages of music

34. Tin HiFi T4
    Pros: Price. Build quality. Balanced sound.
    Cons: average technicalities. Somewhat boring. No engagement factor. Annoying sticky stock cable.

35. BLON BL-03
    Pros: Great tuning. The sub $50 benchmark.
    Cons: Below average technicalities. Mid bass bleed. Useless accessories. Fit is a bit tricky with the short nozzle.

36. Sony XBA-4
    Pros: Warm V-shape sound with nice bass.
    Cons: Very BA sounding mids and treble (very metallic sounding). Ultra sensitive to source (needs an output impedance of nearly zero). Non-removable cable. Average build quality.

37. KZ ZSX
    Pros: Good bass. Comfy fit. Decent build quality.
    Cons: The worst mid and treble BA timbre I’ve heard.
2 new additions in bold and a couple of movements:

1. Oriolus Traillii
  2. Vision Ears Erlkonig
  3. Empire Ears Odin
  4. 64 Audio U12t
  5. Sony IER-Z1R
  6. Empire Ears Legend X SE
  7. Vision Ears Elysium
  8. 64 Audio Fourte Noir
  9. Unique Melody MEST Mk2
  10. Empire Ears Legend X
  11. Campfire Andromeda 2020
  12. Campfire Andromeda MW10
  13. Sony IER-M9
  14. 64 Audio Tia Trio
  15. Campfire Solaris SE
  16. Campfire Solaris 2020
  17. QDC Anole VX
  18. 64 Audio Nio
  19. MMR Thummim
  20. Noble Sultan
  21. Campfire Solaris OG
  22. Campfire Andromeda Gold
  23. Campfire Andromeda S
  24. Campfire Andromeda OG
  25. Empire Ears Valkyrie Mk2
  26. 64 Audio A18s (universal demo unit)
  27. Sony XBA-Z5
  28. Sony EX1000
  29. Sony XBA-N3
  30. Rhapsodio Infinity Mk2
  31. FiiO FD5
  32. KZ ZAX
  33. BLON BL-05s
  34. Sony MH755
  35. Sony MH1C
  36. Tin HiFi T4
  37. BLON BL-03
  38. Sony XBA-4
  39. KZ ZSX

Last edited:
May 22, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #3,131 of 5,197
#UPDATE 2

My new personal Top 10 with iems I´ve tested

Sources (Shanling M8- warm and awsome signature, Sony Dx-300- Not only a great iem, like an android mobile Tier feelings)

1) VE Elysium (By far best soul iems, my nirvana with female vocals,)

2) Sony ier-z1r (Best detailed bass I´ve never heard, best all rounder)

3) EE Odin (Excelent detailed TIer, but not transmiting as soul as Elys)

4) CA Dorado 2020 (fun, fun and more fun)

5) UM MEST MK1 (unique spacial 3d presentation)

6) QDC Anole VX S (A tecnichal beast, very pleasant listening for hours)

7) EE Legend X (Not only bass but a perfect iem with the right cable like Ego Audio Brandy (silver-gold) and an analitycal Source like Lotoo Daps)

8) CA Andromeda 2020/mw10 (Perfect update, great high freqs and soundstage)

9) CA Solaris SE (Best Solaris version and a great all times iem)

10) CA Atlas (a great basshead iem but not as acurrate as the Legend X)

May 22, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #3,132 of 5,197

1. Oriolus Traillii
  2. Vision Ears Erlkonig
  3. Empire Ears Odin
  4. 64 Audio U12t
  5. Sony IER-Z1R
  7. Vision Ears Elysium
  8. 64 Audio Fourte Noir
  10. Empire Ears Legend X
  13. Sony IER-M9
  14. 64 Audio Tia Trio
  15. Campfire Solaris SE
  17. QDC Anole VX
  18. 64 Audio Nio
  19. MMR Thummim
  20. Noble Sultan
  21. Campfire Solaris OG
  23. Campfire Andromeda S
  27. Sony XBA-Z5
  28. Sony EX1000
  29. Sony XBA-N3
  31. FiiO FD5
  32. KZ ZAX
  33. BLON BL-05s
  34. Sony MH755
  35. Sony MH1C
  36. Tin HiFi T4
  37. BLON BL-03
  38. Sony XBA-4
  39. KZ ZSX
That is not a bad result for the MEST Mk 2! What was the USP that gave them a top 10?

May 22, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #3,133 of 5,197
That is not a bad result for the MEST Mk 2! What was the USP that gave them a top 10?
Haha yeah it’s a great IEM :) I found the soundstage to be very impressive and quite a unique experience. I’m guessing that’s the bone conductor doing it’s dark magic. Tonally it’s great too, but I am not a huge fan of its mid range, especially lower mids. They feel a bit too recessed. Also, the bass detailing is somewhat lacking. It can sound a bit one-noted and smeared. But these aren’t huge issues and it’s still an enjoyable listen overall :)

May 22, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #3,134 of 5,197
Haha yeah it’s a great IEM :) I found the soundstage to be very impressive and quite a unique experience. I’m guessing that’s the bone conductor doing it’s dark magic. Tonally it’s great too, but I am not a huge fan of its mid range, especially lower mids. They feel a bit too recessed. Also, the bass detailing is somewhat lacking. It can sound a bit one-noted and smeared. But these aren’t huge issues and it’s still an enjoyable listen overall :)
Have your listened to the OG MEST? Also, have you listened to the UM 3DT and the KZ DQ6? I’m curious what your thoughts are on those IEMs, since your list is so comprehensive.

May 22, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #3,135 of 5,197

1. Oriolus Traillii
  2. Vision Ears Erlkonig
  3. Empire Ears Odin
  4. 64 Audio U12t
  5. Sony IER-Z1R
  7. Vision Ears Elysium
  8. 64 Audio Fourte Noir
  10. Empire Ears Legend X
  13. Sony IER-M9
  14. 64 Audio Tia Trio
  15. Campfire Solaris SE
  17. QDC Anole VX
  18. 64 Audio Nio
  19. MMR Thummim
  20. Noble Sultan
  21. Campfire Solaris OG
  23. Campfire Andromeda S
  27. Sony XBA-Z5
  28. Sony EX1000
  29. Sony XBA-N3
  31. FiiO FD5
  32. KZ ZAX
  33. BLON BL-05s
  34. Sony MH755
  35. Sony MH1C
  36. Tin HiFi T4
  37. BLON BL-03
  38. Sony XBA-4
  39. KZ ZSX

I'm endlessly fascinated by how we all hear things. I had the MEST II for a bit and didn't really connect with it...I much preferred the OG. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the Bravado II...based on graphs it looks like a less Chifi version of the Valk.

#UPDATE 2

My new personal Top 10 with iems I´ve tested

Sources (Shanling M8- warm and awsome signature, Sony Dx-300- Not only a great iem, like an android mobile Tier feelings)

1) VE Elysium (By far best soul iems, my nirvana with female vocals,)

2) Sony ier-z1r (Best detailed bass I´ve never heard, best all rounder)

3) EE Odin (Excelent detailed TIer, but not transmiting as soul as Elys)

4) CA Dorado 2020 (fun, fun and more fun)

5) UM MEST MK1 (unique spacial 3d presentation)

6) QDC Anole VX S (A tecnichal beast, very pleasant listening for hours)

7) EE Legend X (Not only bass but a perfect iem with the right cable like Ego Audio Brandy (silver-gold) and an analitycal Source like Lotoo Daps)

8) CA Andromeda 2020/mw10 (Perfect update, great high freqs and soundstage)

9) CA Solaris SE (Best Solaris version and a great all times iem)

10) CA Atlas (a great basshead iem but not as acurrate as the Legend X)

Great list...Ely and Dorado are my yin and yang...happy to see them both on your list :).

Have your listened to the OG MEST? Also, have you listened to the UM 3DT and the KZ DQ6? I’m curious what your thoughts are on those IEMs, since your list is so comprehensive.

I heard both OG and MEST II and much preferred the OG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back